Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

take_yer_points

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 05, 2019, 03:29:04 PM
Apology released by Belfast city marathon company. It was half a mile long!!

I did leg 4. Very hilly and I am not in great shape these days so got through it but good craic all the same.

Sounds like the route was measured ok, but the runners were twice misdirected off the course

Few friends ran it and said the new route was far better. Hearing the bag collection was a nightmare though, an hour to collect a bag. Maybe not prepared for the increase in numbers

imtommygunn

It's a step in the right direction anyway though quite a few unhappy with distance as it means they couldn't get good for age for London and then I think the first local was looking for world or commonwealth(or one of the majors) qualifying time.

I did fourth leg and have never seen crowds like it out in the streets. I started around the 3h50+ mark and have to say I felt sorry for some of the full marathon runners round me as quite a few had to stop and walk it was so hilly.

Orior

Quote from: take_yer_points on May 05, 2019, 08:22:38 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 05, 2019, 03:29:04 PM
Apology released by Belfast city marathon company. It was half a mile long!!

I did leg 4. Very hilly and I am not in great shape these days so got through it but good craic all the same.

Sounds like the route was measured ok, but the runners were twice misdirected off the course

Few friends ran it and said the new route was far better. Hearing the bag collection was a nightmare though, an hour to collect a bag. Maybe not prepared for the increase in numbers

Sad for the guys who needed a time to qualify for the London marathon
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Milltown Row2

It was the first of a new run, I'm sure there will be some tweaks here and there to improve it, 2-18 is long though for the winner. Belfast can be hilly enough and a logistical nightmare but it's a crime for it to be measured incorrectly, if that was the case!

Though I must say with all the weaving about over 26.2 miles your Garmin may have it longer, as was the case for me in Amsterdam
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

It wasn't the measurement of it. Lead car went wrong way and then so did everybody else!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 06, 2019, 10:39:47 AM
It's a step in the right direction anyway though quite a few unhappy with distance as it means they couldn't get good for age for London and then I think the first local was looking for world or commonwealth(or one of the majors) qualifying time.

I did fourth leg and have never seen crowds like it out in the streets. I started around the 3h50+ mark and have to say I felt sorry for some of the full marathon runners round me as quite a few had to stop and walk it was so hilly.
I had a look at the map and apart from the Springfield Road/West Belfast secyion I couldn't really identify any "hilly" parts.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 06, 2019, 01:14:09 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 06, 2019, 10:39:47 AM

I had a look at the map and apart from the Springfield Road/West Belfast secyion I couldn't really identify any "hilly" parts.

Finaghy?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Can they not adjust your time to make it a proper marathon time?

With today's technology, they should be fit to do that.

Nanderson

Quote from: marty34 on May 06, 2019, 04:25:15 PM
Can they not adjust your time to make it a proper marathon time?

With today's technology, they should be fit to do that.
That is what they have done

imtommygunn

They took 2 minutes away from everyone's time. Same for everyone. I think that has annoyed people more lol.

The 2nd mile of the 4th leg was bloody hilly. The last 3 were a good bit downhill though so for relay runners not that big a deal but at 17 mile in a marathon when you're struggling already it looked rough.

Hereiam

I ended up doing the last 2 legs of the marathon as part of a relay team. I would have cried at mile 17 if i had of being doing the full thing. Not so much as the steepness but it was a drag of a climb. Change over points for the relay were a bit of a shambles but i'm sure lessons will have been learned.

trueblue1234

Anyone suffer from lower back pains when running (And even when not)? I haven't really been doing any core stuff along side the running and I think it's starting to cause these lower back pains so want to try and do a bit to see if it helps alleviate the pains . But have to admit I find the core exercises really boring. Unsure how much time I should be committing to it? Whether it's do a few stretches/ exercises every day or do a 30 min session 1-2 a week. Any advise would be welcome. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Orior

I had to give up running because of my back. A slight curvature in my spine meant my back tries to compensate, using one leg more than the other. Took years to diagnose it.

But everyone is different.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

imtommygunn

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 07, 2019, 10:14:36 AM
Anyone suffer from lower back pains when running (And even when not)? I haven't really been doing any core stuff along side the running and I think it's starting to cause these lower back pains so want to try and do a bit to see if it helps alleviate the pains . But have to admit I find the core exercises really boring. Unsure how much time I should be committing to it? Whether it's do a few stretches/ exercises every day or do a 30 min session 1-2 a week. Any advise would be welcome.

Yeah. I find things with my lower back in running are generally a reflection of very tight hip flexors so end up doing a lot of stretching on them. Hip flexors are key in holding pelvis etc in position when running so stretching them a lot, especially if in a desk job, makes a big difference to running (for me anyway).

Milltown Row2