Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Anybody have a running watch which they can pair with wireless headphones?

I have been looking at the garmin. 645 which it seems you can use spotify wit though some reviews aren't fantastic.

There's also the fenix 5 but it is a bit dear.

I've only used garmin for running watches before. Any other watches with this capability outside of garmin that people use?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Walt Jabsco on November 28, 2018, 03:49:24 PM
Leave the XC spikes at home for this one. Trail/Fell shoes more suited

What a well run event Walt, fair play to you and the rest of helpers that were able to drag my better half around a very tough course!

Avoided divorce this year, will work on getting a fitter partner next time, would love to give that course a rattle..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Baile an tuaigh

Registration for the Giants Causeway xtreme marathon is now open for September 2019. A tough grinding course with hills, steps, beaches and a climb over rocks. Not for the ill prepared but the scenery will make it worth it.

Walt Jabsco

Glad you enjoyed but next year as it has been every year it will be a different course no two courses have been the same.
Didn't get to see No.1 on my travels.  Well No.1 how did you find it I seen you placed well

No1

Super event as usual Walt. Tough course but conditions underfoot much kinder than last year. Thought soup was across the road from the GAA club and dandered down there afterwards. Had to make do with Guinness instead!! What time did you get the last pair home at?

Walt Jabsco

2:23 - for the last pair and 0:53 for the first pair

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Walt Jabsco on December 30, 2018, 04:05:41 PM
2:23 - for the last pair and 0:53 for the first pair

53 was some finish.. regardless of the conditions the hills alone would have punctured most.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

No1

53 minutes?? That's nearly 6 minute miles? On that course? f**king unreal!! I assume it was Zak Hanna and partner? He was in the club afterwards with the cup.

Walt Jabsco

Yes Zak Hanna and  Seamus Lynch were the first pair home both are Irish Internationals with Seamus  the current Irish Mountain Running Champion Zak is no slouch either with winning the Irish Novice XC Champs a couple of weeks ago and a 7th place at  Snowdon in July. Two exceptional athletes

trueblue1234

Anyone recommend a good running book that covers running techniques, preparing  for races etc. Got a book that covered the basics with regards to training programs for different distances. But it's geared more towards general training rather than races and how to adapt training coming up to a race.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

mrdeeds

Being running for years and an issue coming up last few weeks is getting a stitch. How can I stop this or what is the cause?

imtommygunn

Is your water intake or food intake any different coming up to runs? I haven't really had this problem however I have heard people drinking too much water beforehand and things like that.

In terms of books trueblue there's a guy called Lydiard that I know several people who would be pretty strong runners swear by. He has a book but the reviews aren't fantastic. Reading round his training principles may be of interest though to begin with.

An example link:
http://www.runningwizard.com/lydiard-principles

(It's the basic pyramid theory where you build a base then work your way up the pyramid)

trueblue1234

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 23, 2019, 10:31:37 AM
Is your water intake or food intake any different coming up to runs? I haven't really had this problem however I have heard people drinking too much water beforehand and things like that.

In terms of books trueblue there's a guy called Lydiard that I know several people who would be pretty strong runners swear by. He has a book but the reviews aren't fantastic. Reading round his training principles may be of interest though to begin with.

An example link:
http://www.runningwizard.com/lydiard-principles

(It's the basic pyramid theory where you build a base then work your way up the pyramid)

Thanks for that. Will have a look. Yeah I'm currently doing the Heart Monitoring Training for the Complete idiot and it's been good regarding building up the base and taking proper recovery and not going too hard on the recovery days. Have managed to get the mileage up significantly in the last 3 weeks. (Not that hard considering I was going from a standing start!!). But really starting to get into it now and want to see out this 12 program but would like to tailor the last couple of weeks to try and do a race to get a rough starting point.

imtommygunn

Yeah I would swear by the heart rate book too. Disciplined tempo running (i.e. to within the ranges specified in that book) is very beneficial to racing. Not sure if that is in your program or not.

I would be slightly injury prone so my go to would be hills and tempo before the shorter interval stuff but it's whatever suits best. The hills and tempo before short stuff would help your base though.

trueblue1234

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 23, 2019, 10:52:57 AM
Yeah I would swear by the heart rate book too. Disciplined tempo running (i.e. to within the ranges specified in that book) is very beneficial to racing. Not sure if that is in your program or not.

I would be slightly injury prone so my go to would be hills and tempo before the shorter interval stuff but it's whatever suits best. The hills and tempo before short stuff would help your base though.

Yes usually a tempo run or intervals or hill runs at least once a week. At the minute it tends to be 2 hard days a week and 4 recovery with one day off. Struggling to do the hill runs as live in the country and dark by the time I get home and usually head into Omagh for the tempo run under lights but struggle to get a good hill that's lit well enough for hill runs. Seems to be very against going out and blasting a 10K tho and that that should only be done on occasion. Which I find hard as would like to try and go out and see what sort of times I was doing.  Very different to how I would have ran in the past. (Gone for a run a couple of times a week at full tilt).