St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

SLIGONIAN

Yee got hocked by St Molaise Gaels not Grange. Jinksy made a few good saves. Whats up with him not being able to take kickouts. Ye are a poor side but we have a huge catchment area, not too impressed by our manager though so far though.

Any of yee at the minor game? We were crap. Jees standard of our football was atrocious...future is bleak...
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Owenmoresider

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 08, 2007, 01:20:27 PM
Yee got hocked by St Molaise Gaels not Grange. Jinksy made a few good saves. Whats up with him not being able to take kickouts. Ye are a poor side but we have a huge catchment area, not too impressed by our manager though so far though.
I edited that, hope that is satisfactory!

Jinks has had trouble with his knee for ages, so doesn't take the kickouts. We had Farrell absent due to county duty for the two games which was a big loss, though Jinks is a good shot-stopper too. We had a very bad day on Saturday, made lots of simple mistakes, but we also were without our regular midfield and CHF, so were bare enough. Ye aren't bad, and should go back up, but not unbeatable all the same.

Lost again to Geevagh, 2-8 to 1-4. Better display given the pressure the backs were under. Forwards were shocking bad, couldn't win ball at all. Need to win the next two, against Pat's and Coolera, or we could be in bother. Another good win for Michael's too.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 08, 2007, 11:43:50 AM
Correction - in Div 1B we beat St. John's 0-12 to 0-8, not the way they had it on Aertel.
Should have known better than to trust Aertel!

Mano

Attended the Easkey Tourlestrane match at the weekend. Easkey were impressive in first half but rely too heavily on Sloyane for scores.
Second half belonged to Tourlestrane where they dominated midfield. Gary Gaughan is a great talent and one to look out for over the coming years-he contributed a point and set up a goal. Only flashpoint was Easkey midfielder elbowing Gaughan off the ball which resulted in a small fracas-the culprit only receiving a yellow.

Overall Tourlestrane have a very young team and have good strength in depth. Substitutes brought in all made good contributions and changed the game. With county lads to come back in, a few injuries to clear up with one or 2 coming back from sojourns abroad Tourlestrane will be in with a good shout to regain Owen B this year imo.

magpie seanie

I had heard earlier in the year that Tourlestrane were going well and they'd be the team I'd rate as favourites. Obviously Curry and Harps will be there or thereabouts too. I'd be hopeful we could return to the business end of things too but we need to continue our improvement of the last few weeks and need one or two crucial players to return. Tubber with everyone fit and available will be tough too but if you scratch beneath the surface the backup is quite weak.

paddypastit

RE Pat Dockery - I was on the panel when he was captain.  Not the most skilled but god was he HARD - the original 'put his head where others wouldn't put their feet' man.  My lasting memory was him poleaxing Dermot Flanagan in the Park in the '88 championship.  They would have been in UCD around the same time and there was no love last - the Mayoman not being reknowed for acknowledging the right of players from the weaker neighbouring counties to be spoken of in the same air as his gracious self.  He had serious trouble getting any air after Pat introduced the left and right of his rib cage to each other. Although he had moved down South for work anyway, Pat left Sligo football under a bit of a cloud after an incident in a match in Easkey which ended in a civil case that cost him money.   Had heard he was very ill of late.  It's a bit scary to think of someone that strong and full of life being taken down by illness - leaves a wife and four kids too - we have a lot to be thankful for.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Stagmeister

Well Lads

Anyone know why the club games were called off this weekend??
Will next weekends games be going ahead as scheduled???

all star

Games called off because of the junior championship I don't even though who they are playing.

Once again club football in Sligo is placed at the bottom of the pile it a f**king joke.

The county Board should not let this happen for a junior championship game.

Did a bit of research today on near by counties, Mayo have senior championship match's next week baring a draw of course on Sunday. Donegal played some of their first round games last weekend.

It would have been nice to have the county players back for at least one league game this weekend they probably won't be allowed to play next weekend.

Anyway we have the joys of playing our annual challenge game against  knockmore    which means two thing a good fight, and not being able to move on the Sunday.

I suppose the old saying goes you can't complain unless you vote will have to try and get this mind set changed in Sligo with fixtures.

Junior football is it a good idea ?

Davitt Man

What are the predictions for this weekend, i was looking at  the table there and i see marys are really struggling i thought ballymote were "nailed on" for relegation this year according to certain posters on here.

magpie seanie

Ballymote are not out of the woods yet but 3 more wins would be enough to guarantee Div 1A status for 2008. That would be a fair achievement as I hear that thay are without several of their better players due to injury and unavailability.

Mary's are in a hole and will do well to get out of it. You'd feel they need to pick up 2 wins in the next couple of weeks (2 home games) to get themselves back on track. Anything less will have them really staring Div 1B in the face.

The top 3 - Harps, Curry and Tourlestrane will fight it out for eventual league honours. They have far greater depth than any of the other clubs in the county. Again they will be the teams to beat come championship.

For the heck of it i'll make a couple of predictions of the Div1A games for the weekend:

Mary's to beat Castleconnor (cos they have to); Home advantage to swing it for Easkey against Ballymote; Curry to beat Bunninadden; Harps to edge Tourlestrane.

I wouldn't be surprised if I only got 1 out of 4 there.

Davitt Man

Magpie as far as i am aware they are only missing Munds who went travelling apart from that they may have a few lads doing exams at the minute but they will be back on board now, so relegation shouldnt be a worry for them. Did they not win a few county u-21's in the last 4\5 years surely they should be bringing through a few of them now?

magpie seanie

Yeah, I know they have a decent talent pool there but was under the impression that they were more short than that. I wouldn't be surprised if my impression was incorrect though and will happily bow to your better judgement on that. I'm sure Owenmoresider will discuss this with you in greater detail.  ;)

Stagmeister

Also missing Nigel Clancy for possibly the rest of the season and may be missing Dermot McTiernan for the next few league games but after that he'll be available for selection...couldnt understand how anyone would think we were 'nailed on' for relegation this yr...obviously I'm a bit biased but if you look at the league standings from the last couple of yrs we finished 4th or 5th both yrs and were never really in too much danger of going down + we are only missing one player from last yr although he is prob our most important player.

Will be hard to see us beating Easkey this wkend without Dermy + Sean Stagg who is suspended but we should give it a good shot but even if we lose we've def put ourselves in an excellent postion to stay up after our jammy win against the bunnies. 6 pts out of ten so far and 3 of our most crucial games ( Castleconnor, Bunnies and Easkey ) all at home in the 2nd round of league fixtures.

A fair few of the U-21 lads have come through to the seniors but just dont know if its enough to compete with the big 3 of Tourlestrane, Curry and Harps. Hopefully we should give the championship a good run this yr...realistically its ourselves, Coolera and Tubber vying for the 2nd qualifying spot along with Curry. So if we can get out of that group you'd never know what would happen...sure if Coolera/Strandhill can win a county title anyone can!!! ;D

magpie seanie

Quoterealistically its ourselves, Coolera and Tubber vying for the 2nd qualifying spot along with Curry.

You've got to get that idea out of your head for a start. The way I look at it any of the four teams could top the group and I can tell you we'll be looking/expecting to top it. Curry are very beatable as we proved (twice) in 2005. There has been little betwen ourselves and Tubber in league and c'ship over the last couple of years. We haven't met Ballymote too often in championship in recent times but are very familiar with their threat. None of the games should be anythnig other than tight.

Quotesure if Coolera/Strandhill can win a county title anyone can!!!

I know you are only joking but we were knocking on the door for a while to be fair. Should have had 2 in the bag before 2005.

Stagmeister

Yeah your right...I derfinitely think Curry are beatable, I just think over the 3 games they will definitely pick up enough pts to finish in the top 2. We drew with Harps last yr and lost to Tourlestrane by 2 pts the year before so we know we can beat anyone on our day...we've also lost championship games we felt we should be winning so we've definitely gained some valuable experience over the last couple of yrs as we have a young team and now know exactly what to expect from every championship game regardless of who you are playing...

Ya was only jokin bout the county title comment...I know you should also have had one in the bag when the bunnies robbed ye in extra time can't remember the other one though...