St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

SLIGONIAN

28 Aug SFC Grp 3 1 Eastern Harps 2 - 11 0 - 8 Cúil Irra/An Leathros/CooleraStrandhill
28 Aug SFC Grp 1 1 Calraigh/Naomh Iósef/Calry/St Joseph's 0 - 4 4 - 13 Curry/Curraigh
28 Aug IFC Grp 1 1 St Farnan's 1 - 17 0 - 9 Cloonacool
28 Aug IFC Grp 4 1 Castleconnor 1 - 11 0 - 7 St Michael's/Naomh Mícheál
28 Aug SFC Grp 2 1 St Mary's 0 - 15 0 - 7 Tubbercurry
28 Aug SFC Grp 4 1 Shamrock Gaels/Gaeil na Seamróige 0 - 6 1 - 15 Ballymote Round Towers

Coolera were missing k quinn and costello, and cawley go injured early on. Its a pity we werent playing them tonight as this weakened them considerably, ironically too that Darren Gilsenan is back for us aswell. Hope the cawley injury isnt serious, Harps won comfortable.

Its probably good for us that Calry, shamrock gaels and Tubber got bad beatings as it will leave them deflated. Our lads played Drumcliffe in the hardagon cup tonight and won with a weakened side but played well and we look to be ready for these upcoming dogfights.

8 senior QTR finalists, Coolera/strandhill, Geevagh, Balymote, Curry, Tourlestrane, st Marys, Eastern Harps, St Johns.

Looking forward to the draw.

Relegation play offs St Molaise Gaels, Calry st Josephs, Tubbercurry, Shamrock Gaels.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

Including the players you mention when Niall Quinn also went off injured in the first quarter, I think we had 10 players that would have been in contention to play either injured or suspended. Most clubs can't withstand that. Despite that though it was still a little disappoining, thought we could have done a bit better. Encouraging signs from a few younger lads though. We will need lads back and a better attitude if we are to trouble Tourlestane, Curry or Ballymote in the quarter final.

SLIGONIAN

Presume ye all listened to the draw last night,
Senior QTRS
Tourlestrane v Coolera - TOUR
Curry v Geevagh - CURRY

Balymote v St Johns - JOHNS
St Marys v Harps - HARPS

relegation
Tubber v St Molasie - SMG
Shamrock Gaels v Calry - CALRY

Intermediate

Castleconnor v owenmore gaels - CC
Drumcliffe v Cloonacool - DRUM

St Farnans v Easkey - SF
St Michaels v Bunninaden - BUN

Tough draw for us but tubber are beatable.

magpie seanie

Didn't realise it was on Ocean FM and was frantically hitting F5 on sligogaa.ie to no avail until I started getting texts telling me the draw.

SFC:

Tourlestrane v Coolera - Can't see us picking it up enough to beat them. Really hope I'm very wrong but Tourlestrane for me in this one.
Curry v Geevagh - Geevagh are quite a good side but I think Curry will have too much for them.
Ballymote v St Johns - This could be tight. John's haven't hit last years form yet but I do think they'll edge this one.
St Marys v Harps - I think Mary's will supply the "surprise" of the round and advance to the semis.

SFC Relegation
Tubbercurry v St Molaise - Very hard to call I think. SMG knew they were facing into this for a while but Tubber would have thought they were going into the quarter finals. My worry for SMG is where they get scores from and thats why a hesitant vote goes to Tubber.
Shamrock Gaels v Calry - Calry are missing a lot of their top players but will not surrender their senior status easily. Have a funny feeling they just might edge this one despite Gaels looking the safer bet.

IFC

Castleconnor v Owenmore Gaels - This will be a lot closer than many think. OMG's haved improved significantly this season and Castleconner's slide continues. The graph's are going in opposite directions but I don't think they've intersected yet. CC, just.
Drumcliffe v Cloonacool - Drumcliffe should take this one with a bit to spare.
St Farnans v Easkey - One for the neutral though maybe not for the purist! I'll go for Easkey to edge a rip roaring local derby.
St Michaels v Bunninaden - Bunninadden should have enough to progress comfortably.

IFC Relegation
Coolaney/Mullinabreena v Ballisodare - C/Mull to save themselves but probably not with a lot to spare.
Eastern Harps v Enniscrone - Harps 2nds were making finals in this competition not long ago. Think they will survive, probably at the first attempt.

JFC Relegation
St Marys v Shamrock Gaels - SG's made the final last year but are short one or two excellent veterans this year. They should still have enough to survive here.
Bunninadden v St Molaise Gaels - SMG should win this one, having a quality scoring forward at this level will see to that.

SLIGONIAN

Marys won the u16 A by 3-17 to 1-7 against Tourlestrane.

Coolaney won the u16 A2 final beating tubber by 0-16 to 1-7.

magpie seanie

Our lads beat Easkey in the U-16B semi final in a tough old battle. We conceded two goals in the first 10 minutes but battled well and just about deserved the win (scoreline a bit flattering due to a late flurry of scores). Curry and Enniscrone drew in the other semi final.

paddypastit

Pretty out of touch with matters of the club but good sources tell me that internal relations in SG are at an all time low. There is deep concern that the success won in the league will be instantly lost in the relegation playoffs
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Mano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 30, 2010, 05:15:24 PM
Marys won the u16 A by 3-17 to 1-7 against Tourlestrane.
No Surprises in the under 16 final. Marys are a big, strong physical team and the Tourlestrane had some fine players but many were too small. Marys had one man sent off and were lucky the midfielder didn't join him late on.
I can see why Coolera are so angry with the poaching of their player by Marys. He was probably their best player. Our supporters were giving out about this lad playing but if they voted for the transfer (as Seanie claims) there can be no complaints.
Young Brehony looks like a good prospect. He has the accuracy of his uncle Mark Brehony and the speed and athleticism of his other uncle Eamon O'Hara.
John Kelly was Tourlestranes best player and if there are 30 better under 16 players in Sligo then it must have been a very good squad. Leonard, Lang, Walsh, Brennan, O'Hara were also impressive.

magpie seanie

Quote from: paddypastit on August 31, 2010, 03:15:08 AM
Pretty out of touch with matters of the club but good sources tell me that internal relations in SG are at an all time low. There is deep concern that the success won in the league will be instantly lost in the relegation playoffs

I heard the same. I saw the first half of their game against Ballymote and there was great fight and heart shown (playing against the wind) but obviously they had nothing left for the second half. I think the relegation matches are tight and anyone could go (though I doubt Tubber will).

Mano's post speaks for itself. Strictly by the rules that player is playing illegally but the application of the rules are only as it suits those with the power (unless you have ten grand to go to the DRA).

Westie

Look it lads we all know that there was transfers(no transfers for u16s but that is a moot point at cb) that took place last year that should not have even been discussed. Fair dues to Calry for sticking to their point of principle on this. Same stuff with the way Buninnadden and Cloonacool were denied their U14 team this year due to the bigger club getting their way.
Was shocked that we did not have anyone good enough for the Ted Webb but then despite beating Marys 2/3 times last year they still don't respect us.
On that the treatment one of our players had meted out to him in the semi of A2 by 4-5 of the opposition was not good for the game(Tubber rightly won as we squandered chance after chance). Referee bottled it big time.
On a last point, we went out of the Junior b last week and for the second year in a row the opposition played an influential illegal player. Think there needs to be a rule where for second teams in championship, they must provide a list of names of players eligible to play a few days before game to activities and then it is out in the open.
BTW Seanie, didn't know we are on a big downhill spiral but like yourselves injuries are killing us compounded again at the weekend with the club captain probably now out for year (3 cruciates, 4 broken hands/arms/feet to mention)

magpie seanie

Westie - didn't mean to cause offence but not long ago ye were a team no-one wanted to play in the SFC. In 2005 when we won it I was delighted to have beaten ye by a couple of points in the first round. With the work ye are doing at underage ye should be back up in a couple of years but you'd have to admit ye aren't a patch on where ye were 5 years ago.

On the JFC B - why did ye not object? Something like that is black and white. Last year the final was won by a team with an illegal player who actually scored 2-5 in the final. Funnily enough it was against a club that got thick with us (me!) for playing a couple of lads that were ineligible (by accident - rule wasn't clear and I thought what we did was ok but I was wrong) in a warm up competition game that they beat us in! We had to forfeit the game so they got a playoff to get into the final of the the warm up competition. Pity they didn't have their eye on the ball as good for a championship final but maybe these warm up competitions are more valuable than I think!!!!!!

Agree that Calry deserve credit for standing in their shoes. Luckily for them they got good support from other clubs and the political landscape had been altered a little.

sprinter

We were just up against in the u-16 final think the management team knew that they were just hoping for a better performance. Agree with all the comments regarding players playing for their own club and respecting boundaries. But it's hard when the player wants to play for a particular club. We have even profited from a similar position a while back. The high profile one is your man up in Dublin trying to transfer out off a traditionally strong hurling club. It's a hard one to call in my observation it difficult for the county board to enforce the rule as they have traditionally made so many inconcidencies regarding it.

Anyone see Mc Hale's piece in the weekender he has a go at Mc Eneaney stating he doesn't rate him as a referee. Ok he didn't have his best game on Sunday put over the years he played a large part in some of the great games of the decade. Sometimes you have to question these articles is Mc Hale just writing this stuff to get a reaction or does he really believe it. In my opinion he's lucky he's still around after what he pulled on us in last years championship never forget it. Tourlestrane lads praying we over come a strong challenge  from Coolera on Sunday and Ballymote beat John's and it would set things right up for the semi and we can get Mc Hale back for last year and that shameful decision.
Motivation would be unreal; you would love to be playing just to get one more crack at it. 

[Edited by Mod3]

On other matters sad to see Charlestown out of the Mayo championship potential to generate more revenue for the club if they stayed in a while longer.

[Edited by Mod3 - I'm not aware of the incidents here, but some of those comments were over the top.]

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: sprinter on August 31, 2010, 02:56:25 PM
We were just up against in the u-16 final think the management team knew that they were just hoping for a better performance. Agree with all the comments regarding players playing for their own club and respecting boundaries. But it's hard when the player wants to play for a particular club. We have even profited from a similar position a while back. The high profile one is your man up in Dublin trying to transfer out off a traditionally strong hurling club. It's a hard one to call in my observation it difficult for the county board to enforce the rule as they have traditionally made so many inconcidencies regarding it.

Anyone see Mc Hale's piece in the weekender he has a go at Mc Eneaney stating he doesn't rate him as a referee. Ok he didn't have his best game on Sunday put over the years he played a large part in some of the great games of the decade. Sometimes you have to question these articles is Mc Hale just writing this stuff to get a reaction or does he really believe it. In my opinion he's lucky he's still around after what he pulled on us in last years championship never forget it. Tourlestrane lads praying we over come a strong challenge  from Coolera on Sunday and Ballymote beat John's and it would set things right up for the semi and we can get Mc Hale back for last year and that shameful decision.
Motivation would be unreal; you would love to be playing just to get one more crack at it. 

[Edited by Mod3]

On other matters sad to see Charlestown out of the Mayo championship potential to generate more revenue for the club if they stayed in a while longer.

[Edited by Mod3 - I'm not aware of the incidents here, but some of those comments were over the top.]

Something tells me i missed something, pity. Like sprinter i take a keen interest in Charlestowns results and was delighted they got bet last weekend. :), happy days.

paddypastit

[Edited by Mod3]

Sprinter - the situation in Dublin is somewhat different in that there is no 'boundary' / parish rule.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Mano

Anyone see Mc Hale’s piece in the weekender he has a go at Mc Eneaney stating he doesn’t rate him as a referee. Ok he didn’t have his best game on Sunday put over the years he played a large part in some of the great games of the decade. Sometimes you have to question these articles is Mc Hale just writing this stuff to get a reaction or does he really believe it. In my opinion he’s lucky he’s still around after what he pulled on us in last years championship never forget it. Tourlestrane lads praying we over come a strong challenge  from Coolera on Sunday and Ballymote beat John’s and it would set things right up for the semi and we can get Mc Hale back for last year and that shameful decision.
Sprinter don't be looking that far ahead, concentrate on this weekends game. Coolera/Strandhill will be hard enough test in itself.