St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

magpie seanie

Our U-16's were a bit unfortunate last night to lose the A2 championship final to Coolaney/Mullinabreena in a fine game in Markievicz Park. Both sides had some excellent players and dominated different sections of the game. Right at the end one of our best lads started and finished a great move which resulted in his shot whizzing over the bar for a point instead of the goal we needed. C-M showed great heart and just about made more of their chances.

Despite the defeat, some good prospects for progression to the adult ranks in 2-4 years time which is the ultimate goal for underage development. Still, hate losing any game especially a final. That's football though.

Our senior championship game is off due to a ery sad bereavement to one of the Farnans lads. Our sympathies are with them. Junior A on Sunday in the Park and a massive tie for our lads v. Tourlestane. Winner would be fancied to progress, loser could be in trouble.

Buckass

Ladbrokes Owen B Hunt betting
        Eastern Harps     2/1
   Curry    11/4
   Tourlestrane    3/1
   Coolera-Strandhill    11/2
   Ballymote    8/1
   St Johns    9/1
   Easkey    16/1
   Tubbercurry    16/1
   Calry St Josephs    20/1
   St Marys    25/1
   St Molaise Gaels    50/1
   Castleconner    100/1
   Shamrock Gaels    100/1
   St Farnans    100/1

SLIGONIAN

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

An Laoch

Results according to ocean fm:

Curry 1-14 0-9 Shamrocks

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: An Laoch on August 08, 2009, 06:50:25 PM
Results according to ocean fm:

Curry 1-14 0-9 Shamrocks

Cheers An Laoch, tighter than I would of thought. Just studied the odds, some dodgy ones in the outright, itll be interesting to see how marys do against harps tonight.

Like Sligo in 97 its never to early to win it :o, and if we win tonight we could get a easier qtr draw. What groups play each other? a bit of momentum and luck you never know where we'll end up. But realisitically its been a good year and something to build on. But we have to concede its a lucky group draw so hopefully we can captilise on it and id like to see us against the big boys.

Anyway lads Id hope ye'll  go to plenty of games and post potential players that arent on the squad who could strengthen it. Keep an eye out for CHB. Id especially like yer opinions on Mark Quinn and Johnny Martyn..cheers.

Owenmoresider

Senior:

Curry 1-14 Shamrock G 0-9
Mary's 1-10 Harps 1-7
John's 1-13 Calry 0-13
Tubber 1-11 Easkey 0-9
Sligonian's crowd 1-12 Ballymote 0-11

Intermediate:

Bunninadden 4-12 Michael's 1-13
Mullinabreena 1-13 Pat's 1-7

Harps look like they have to win the next day v Curry to get through, assuming Mary's can beat Shams. Some surprise for Ballymote too. Everything else going to plan, Tubber sneaking past Easkey to stay in contention.

magpie seanie

Obviously two standout results from the SFC there. Huge win for Marys and a massive one for Molaise Gaels.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Owenmoresider on August 08, 2009, 10:39:25 PM
Senior:

Curry 1-14 Shamrock G 0-9
Mary's 1-10 Harps 1-7
John's 1-13 Calry 0-13
Tubber 1-11 Easkey 0-9
Sligonian's crowd 1-12 Ballymote 0-11

Intermediate:

Bunninadden 4-12 Michael's 1-13
Mullinabreena 1-13 Pat's 1-7

Harps look like they have to win the next day v Curry to get through, assuming Mary's can beat Shams. Some surprise for Ballymote too. Everything else going to plan, Tubber sneaking past Easkey to stay in contention.

Jees just getting up for work now at 5.00am and seeing the results for the first time, what a result  ;D ;D ;D without the Gilsenans aswell, bloody impressive. Congrats to all involved. Cant wait to hear the reports from home. Delighted and i have to admit a little suprised. We could be semi final bound now which would be massive......isnt it my luck to be away from home >:( feck the recession....

Fari play to marys aswell. Certainly makes that group even more interesting.

SLIGONIAN

Well just worked out the qtr probables,

Group A Johns Calry or tubber
Group B Curry Marys or Harps
Group C Tour or Coolera
Group D SMG Balymote

So heres hoping for Calry/tubber but that wont be easy, seen them last yr in championship and there decent side.

Anyone know the QTR draw or is it to be made yet?

magpie seanie

Quarter final draw is an open draw - group winners against runners up. Don't think you can play the team from your own group.

We ended up getting stuffed by Tourlestrane in Junior. A few injuries and "other" unavailabilty didn't help though we didn't play as badly as he scoreline suggests. Ended up starting after initially arriving without my gear (thought we had enough and I had a minor op during the week - same old shit with our junors). Tour will take stopping in this competition. Elsewhere in our group, Molaise Gaels sneaked a win against Bunninadden. We'll have to beat both to progress. Any reports Sligonian?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 09, 2009, 04:48:31 PM
Quarter final draw is an open draw - group winners against runners up. Don't think you can play the team from your own group.

We ended up getting stuffed by Tourlestrane in Junior. A few injuries and "other" unavailabilty didn't help though we didn't play as badly as he scoreline suggests. Ended up starting after initially arriving without my gear (thought we had enough and I had a minor op during the week - same old shit with our junors). Tour will take stopping in this competition. Elsewhere in our group, Molaise Gaels sneaked a win against Bunninadden. We'll have to beat both to progress. Any reports Sligonian?

Have to say suprised at our Juniors winning aswell, Bunninadden looked very good last yr at that level but Id say some of the youngsters got pushed on to the inters this yr. Didnt hear any reports from the juniors as most back home stayed in to watch our neighbours shit themselves seeing the double deckers again :D as my Dad said. A weekend of good suprises. Id hope JJJ was playing so hopefully he'll post a report but not give too much away..

Got a few reports on our win last night, playing fierce well this yr by all accounts, way ahead of last yr, credit where its due, we were missing the 2 gilsenans, dara currid and alan caraway who should all be back the next day or in contention. Only negative was our wing backs were caught for pace but our fb line was immense, fair play to them. Got mixed reports on our midfield. We were 8-2 up at one stage.

Best for us was L Kennedy, the 2 kelly, quinn, burns, wilson, mchugh feeney, leonard and brennan. Forwards got some great scores. Weve a good trainer this yr and its translating on to the field.

Lads a question I just never know the answer too, why is it feck all people go to club championship matches, I asked Dad many in from the club, answer about 20 approx, population of our club approx 6000 id guess, in other counties i hear of 100s or even 1000s in at them. Pisses me off. Whats the solution?

Oh and another thing what are the predicted dates for the qtrs, semis and final? Sorry lads not get carried away but being here i have to think ahead to get a exit permit. Who do the Sligo champs play in Connacht?

All in all a good weekend for me.

magpie seanie

According to fixtures calendar and I'd see no reason for it to change - Quarters on weekend of August 30th, Semis on wekend of Sept 13th, Final down for Sept 27th. Our postponed SFC game is on wekend of Aug 22/23 so I'd assume if we get through it will be straight into quarters the following weekend.

jjjshabadoojnr

Watched our Seniors on saturday night against Ballymote, a thoroughly enjoyable game. Both teams kicked beautiful points from all angles. I got the feeling that Ballymote were caught a bit on the hop. We hit the ground running and pulled a few points away early on. Ballymote pulled it back to two points going into the closing stages however we tagged on two late points to give us a four point win. Liam Kennedy for me was our man of the match. The lad has some stamina and serious strength for his frame size and age. He hit a shoulder on Clancy late on when he was moved into FF when Ballymote were looking for a goal and sent him flying! No mean feat. He also could have been played in for a goal after breaking the length of the pitch to support an attack late on.
Mark Leonard got through a ridiculous amount of work at CHF and won lots of dirty breaks. His man was taken off in the first half, conor mcgowan was moved to CHB with Feargal Sexton going in FB. He kept Mcgowan quiet and chipped in with a point late on. Thats two players with county experience he has played well on in the last two games. James Brennan also played well as did Quinny. We struggled in the LHF position where the Ballymote wing back played puck throughout the game.
All in all a very enjoyable game. Best for Ballymote were that RHB - did nt get his name , could be that stagg lad. Lyons was very energetic also and played well, Wilson being switched onto him early in the first half.  Two Gilsenans will strengthen the team for the Q Finals.
On the attendance - I noticed the usual suspects at the game. Take away the junior players, ex players and the usual stalwarts (J Watters, Sligonians Dad etc) very few attended from our club. Dont know what the solution is - they missed a very entertaining game.

Played in our junior match today, just about hung on for a won point win. Our team was meant up of older more seasoned players shall we say! The average age is nearer 35 than 30 with the master Jimmy Currid still managing to be one of our better players at the ripe old age of 47( i think). We raced into an early lead, 1-3 to 1 after about ten minutes, kicked 14 wides in the first half. Lets just say, i dont think Tourlestrane will have any problems with topping the group!

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: jjjshabadoojnr on August 09, 2009, 08:30:14 PM
Watched our Seniors on saturday night against Ballymote, a thoroughly enjoyable game. Both teams kicked beautiful points from all angles. I got the feeling that Ballymote were caught a bit on the hop. We hit the ground running and pulled a few points away early on. Ballymote pulled it back to two points going into the closing stages however we tagged on two late points to give us a four point win. Liam Kennedy for me was our man of the match. The lad has some stamina and serious strength for his frame size and age. He hit a shoulder on Clancy late on when he was moved into FF when Ballymote were looking for a goal and sent him flying! No mean feat. He also could have been played in for a goal after breaking the length of the pitch to support an attack late on.
Mark Leonard got through a ridiculous amount of work at CHF and won lots of dirty breaks. His man was taken off in the first half, conor mcgowan was moved to CHB with Feargal Sexton going in FB. He kept Mcgowan quiet and chipped in with a point late on. Thats two players with county experience he has played well on in the last two games. James Brennan also played well as did Quinny. We struggled in the LHF position where the Ballymote wing back played puck throughout the game.
All in all a very enjoyable game. Best for Ballymote were that RHB - did nt get his name , could be that stagg lad. Lyons was very energetic also and played well, Wilson being switched onto him early in the first half.  Two Gilsenans will strengthen the team for the Q Finals.
On the attendance - I noticed the usual suspects at the game. Take away the junior players, ex players and the usual stalwarts (J Watters, Sligonians Dad etc) very few attended from our club. Dont know what the solution is - they missed a very entertaining game.

Played in our junior match today, just about hung on for a won point win. Our team was meant up of older more seasoned players shall we say! The average age is nearer 35 than 30 with the master Jimmy Currid still managing to be one of our better players at the ripe old age of 47( i think). We raced into an early lead, 1-3 to 1 after about ten minutes, kicked 14 wides in the first half. Lets just say, i dont think Tourlestrane will have any problems with topping the group!

Ah Jimmy still going strong, id say hes out to beat Tom Currid who retired in his 50s. :D, great to hear he still playing and doing well. As long as we are competitive at that level and players get enjoyment out of it, its really all that matters especially after a tough yr in div3 which was to be expected.

Ya Dad gave Mark Leonard a mention last night all right, he is very physical and no fear alla brian curran but not much football in him but as long as he keeps it simple when he has the ball, his fitness level and strength and ball winning ability more than make up for it. Hes a good lad, glad hes doing very well. Liam wasnt u16 manning cup winning captain for nothing, minor again in 2010, hes progressing well.

Mano

How is group B decided? Is it score difference or play-offs? The top 3 teams could all finish with 4 points if Harps beat Curry and Mary's beat Shamrock Gaels. If its score differences and Curry lose to Harps they could be in trouble as Marys could get a big score against Gaels and Harps are knocked out obviously if they lose to Curry. Either way its looks like one of the big 2 teams could be gone next weekend.

Coolera Farnans postponed tie probably gives Coolera the advantage in getting the top spot in Group C now.