St. Farnan's
St. John's

Davitt Man

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 28, 2009, 11:36:19 AM
Quote from: Davitt Man on July 28, 2009, 11:20:23 AM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on July 25, 2009, 10:37:46 PM
Results:

John's 1-15 Tubber 0-8

I was at this game in ballymote saturday evening, i travelled from Mayo to watch it.

Firstly there were two games on and NO PROGRAM provided at the game. Thats poor for a c\ship match.
Secondly why was a kid 15\16 the linesman for this game, this is very dangerous. This is c\ship were talking about when things can get heated, you need your experience officials at these games. What would happen if this kid was hit or hurt during a game.

Anyway back to the game, poor standard and St Johns always looked in control. Tubber are missing a good few from last years team and subsquently look a very different team to the one that brought them to the county final last year. St Johns have a strong outfit and totally dominated midfield have a few dangerous hard working forwards

St Johns should top this group now.

Fair play for heading but you could of picked better match ups, such as Marys Curry, Coolera Tour.

Where was mcnamara playing and howd he do? Mcgarty, Harrison, stenson, scanlon, patrick greene would be there main men i presume, there hardly starting young o hehir yet.

Was McGee playing up front for Tubber?

On the 16 yr old, we are very well mannered in Sligo towards refs and linesmen so dont worry. Ive seen this young lad do a few matches and he isnt the best. I would wonder whats he at that age being a linesman, shouldnt he be playing still, can he play or is useless and wants to be involved like most refs?

I went to this game because i know a lad from Johns so i said i would go down for a look, i was at the sligo county final last year and was impressed with tubber for most that game so i was expecting a good game but i learnt that tubber a missing a few from last years team. Kelly was at 11, he was fairly quiet but their full forward was handy and won some good ball early on but the supply soon dried up. Im not sure which lad was McGee, again a simple match program would have helped here.

For Johns, McNamara was at wing back and held his own, he didnt push forward enough for me seen as he is a county wing back.
McGarty had a very good 2nd half and is full of running, Stenny worked hard on the 40. Scan was the main man for johns, he tormented the tubber rear guard. Charlie was injured and didnt tog

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Davitt Man on July 28, 2009, 11:54:14 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 28, 2009, 11:36:19 AM
Results:

John's 1-15 Tubber 0-8

I was at this game in ballymote saturday evening, i travelled from Mayo to watch it.

Firstly there were two games on and NO PROGRAM provided at the game. Thats poor for a c\ship match.
Secondly why was a kid 15\16 the linesman for this game, this is very dangerous. This is c\ship were talking about when things can get heated, you need your experience officials at these games. What would happen if this kid was hit or hurt during a game.

Anyway back to the game, poor standard and St Johns always looked in control. Tubber are missing a good few from last years team and subsquently look a very different team to the one that brought them to the county final last year. St Johns have a strong outfit and totally dominated midfield have a few dangerous hard working forwards

Fair play for heading but you could of picked better match ups, such as Marys Curry, Coolera Tour.

Where was mcnamara playing and howd he do? Mcgarty, Harrison, stenson, scanlon, patrick greene would be there main men i presume, there hardly starting young o hehir yet.

Was McGee playing up front for Tubber?

On the 16 yr old, we are very well mannered in Sligo towards refs and linesmen so dont worry. Ive seen this young lad do a few matches and he isnt the best. I would wonder whats he at that age being a linesman, shouldnt he be playing still, can he play or is useless and wants to be involved like most refs?

I went to this game because i know a lad from Johns so i said i would go down for a look, i was at the sligo county final last year and was impressed with tubber for most that game so i was expecting a good game but i learnt that tubber a missing a few from last years team. Kelly was at 11, he was fairly quiet but their full forward was handy and won some good ball early on but the supply soon dried up. Im not sure which lad was McGee, again a simple match program would have helped here.

For Johns, McNamara was at wing back and held his own, he didnt push forward enough for me seen as he is a county wing back.
McGarty had a very good 2nd half and is full of running, Stenny worked hard on the 40. Scan was the main man for johns, he tormented the tubber rear guard. Charlie was injured and didnt tog

Thanks Davitt man, disappointed with Sligo lads lack of reports on here from weekend. Hopefully the weekender will update the website with match reports soon.

I presume Seanie is busy as his boxing debut is coming up this weekend, looking after his hands aswell with no typing this week ;). Under pressure to put up a good show... any lads on here going to support him send me a report on his fight. Best of luck Seanie.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

xwave7000

Results:

John's 1-15 Tubber 0-8

No program? I highly doubt there was a program at any of the games this weekend - certainly none at St Molaises and Castleconnor - and from what I'm hearing none at the other double header in Tubber - It's only a group game for crying out loud! As for the 16 year old linesman - there was another youn lad at the game I was at - did a terrible job, nearly causing a row on a couple of occasions - I can't understand why they'd let a young fella be involved in an important game like that.
As for the game - well I haven't seen Molaises in action before so I wasn't sure of what to expect - nothing tremendous to write home about I'm afraid... although that's a lot more than what can be said for Castleconnor - I understand that they've lost a few players since last year... but they were truly diabolical - it seemed like even the basics of the game were tough at times.

Davitt Man

Quote from: xwave7000 on July 28, 2009, 12:52:33 PM
Results:

John's 1-15 Tubber 0-8

No program? I highly doubt there was a program at any of the games this weekend - certainly none at St Molaises and Castleconnor - and from what I'm hearing none at the other double header in Tubber - It's only a group game for crying out loud! As for the 16 year old linesman - there was another youn lad at the game I was at - did a terrible job, nearly causing a row on a couple of occasions - I can't understand why they'd let a young fella be involved in an important game like that.
As for the game - well I haven't seen Molaises in action before so I wasn't sure of what to expect - nothing tremendous to write home about I'm afraid... although that's a lot more than what can be said for Castleconnor - I understand that they've lost a few players since last year... but they were truly diabolical - it seemed like even the basics of the game were tough at times.

Group games in the mayo c\ship, you get a program and the national anthem before most the games!

magpie seanie

Sorry for the delay in posting about Coolera/Strandhill and Tourlestrane, am a busy man and this kinda thing takes more than 5 minutes.

Left quite disappointed that we didn't win but keenly aware we could also have lost a game we controlled for the most part. I was very happy with aspects of our play but others will need work. Most of all it was a good, hard hitting game full of admirable committment and bravery. Forward play was probably a bit below what you'd expect from this level though I think the pitch might have contributed to that. Officiating frustrated both sides and supporters greatly. At least one decision by a non-neutral linesman caused annoyance. Shouldn't happen in SFC, not good enough. We do have a serious shortage of officials I'll accept but I was at an IFC game the following day with two neutral linesmen and neutral umpires. Anyway - back to the game. O'Hara at FF didn't have much of an impact until the last quarter, when Tour looked beaten. Credit to him, he really saved them. Two points and then two big catches when moved out to midfield. I think we shaded midfield overall with Quinner and Johnny Mac having good outings. Stephen Henry caught a few alright and Adrian McIntyre, when switched in place of Noel Gaughan, also had an impact so it was reasonably level. I felt we wasted an awful lot of good scoring opportunities but looking back, Tour kicked some poor wides too. To complete the county player watch - Gary Gaughan quiet enough overall but good score near the end, well marked by Keelan Cawley. Costello on the ball a lot, some good, some bad. Definitely not at his best at present but he'll get there. Picked up an injury with 15 mins left and had to go off. A big worry for us.

Both these sides should figure late into the championship if they can sort out their forwards which I think they will. Neither will be too disappointed with the draw.

By the way the IFC game I was at was Curry v. Harps. Harps had a much stronger outfit and though Curry fought hard it looked like a Harps win from early in the match. Mark Cosgrove at centre back and Frank Candon a sub for Harps seconds an indication of the depth in that club.

Mano

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 28, 2009, 03:20:43 PM
Sorry for the delay in posting about Coolera/Strandhill and Tourlestrane, am a busy man and this kinda thing takes more than 5 minutes.

Left quite disappointed that we didn't win but keenly aware we could also have lost a game we controlled for the most part. I was very happy with aspects of our play but others will need work. Most of all it was a good, hard hitting game full of admirable committment and bravery. Forward play was probably a bit below what you'd expect from this level though I think the pitch might have contributed to that. Officiating frustrated both sides and supporters greatly. At least one decision by a non-neutral linesman caused annoyance. Shouldn't happen in SFC, not good enough. We do have a serious shortage of officials I'll accept but I was at an IFC game the following day with two neutral linesmen and neutral umpires. Anyway - back to the game. O'Hara at FF didn't have much of an impact until the last quarter, when Tour looked beaten. Credit to him, he really saved them. Two points and then two big catches when moved out to midfield. I think we shaded midfield overall with Quinner and Johnny Mac having good outings. Stephen Henry caught a few alright and Adrian McIntyre, when switched in place of Noel Gaughan, also had an impact so it was reasonably level. I felt we wasted an awful lot of good scoring opportunities but looking back, Tour kicked some poor wides too. To complete the county player watch - Gary Gaughan quiet enough overall but good score near the end, well marked by Keelan Cawley. Costello on the ball a lot, some good, some bad. Definitely not at his best at present but he'll get there. Picked up an injury with 15 mins left and had to go off. A big worry for us.

Both these sides should figure late into the championship if they can sort out their forwards which I think they will. Neither will be too disappointed with the draw.

By the way the IFC game I was at was Curry v. Harps. Harps had a much stronger outfit and though Curry fought hard it looked like a Harps win from early in the match. Mark Cosgrove at centre back and Frank Candon a sub for Harps seconds an indication of the depth in that club.

I haven't spoken to any of our lads back home so not sure of the injury situation but I was a little surprised with our starting team. No Eamon Haran, Brian Kennedy, Gerry McGowan, Shane Dunne. Noel Gaughan at midfield a position he has never played before - surley Eamon should be able to feature there at club level. We would be very lightweight in attack so it is possible they were trying to get a balance there.

From reading the weekender we were lucky to come away with a draw. Coolera look very strong in half back line and Midfield. Is Con still playing?

magpie seanie

Con is (hopefully) coming out of the far side of his annual injury setback. A few weeks off yet but will hopefully be able to play soon.

Don't know a lot more about your lads than what you know already. I assume Egan will come home for/during the knockout stages.

Mano

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 28, 2009, 03:53:09 PM
I assume Egan will come home for/during the knockout stages.

I doubt that very much. The club has never payed for lads to come from abroad to plays games and the manager certainly wouldn't select a lad who wasn't training.

Owenmoresider

Results:

John's 1-15 Tubber 0-8

Davitt man is right, the presentation of c'ship games is terrible, no teamsheets (wouldn't call it a programme), no PA system, and worse still in some places, not even a scoreboard. Have been to a handful of games in Mayo and all that was present. Part of the difference there I guess is that in Mayo, they operate the home/away system, where clubs host 1/2 of their own games, so there is perhaps more incentive to do it. We'd never be trusted with that, too much safety bullshit. And young fellas should not be doing the line either, great that they are involved and all that, but would you let them out in that role if Easkey and Tourlestrane were playing at Enniscrone, or similiar kinds of fixtures? Other counties list their linesmen as well as refs in the week before games, last year you could hardly even get who was reffing games.

SLIGONIAN

Our lads are against Balymote, tough game, will give them a game but unless Dara Currid, Tommy Kennedy and 2 Gilsenans are all back after missing the first day we dont have the strength in depth to cover them to win IMO. Should be a good game, tie of the round Harps v Marys. The venue choices make a bit more sense aswell than past yrs, with the odd exception.

Best of luck to all teams.

SLIGOGAA.ie
Saturday 08th August 2009

Venue: Markievicz Park

Senior Championship Group A:

Calry/St Josephs  v St Johns  5:45pm;

Senior Championship Group D:

Ballymote  v St Molaise Gaels 7:30pm;

Venue: Enniscrone

Senior Championship Group A:

Easkey  v Tubbercurry  6:00pm;

Senior Championship Group C:

Coolera-Strandhill  v St Farnans 7:30pm;

Venue: Kent Park, Sligo

Senior Championship Group B:

Curry  v Shamrock Gaels 4:30pm;

Intermediate Championship Group C:

Bunninadden  v St Michaels 6:00pm;

Venue: Kilcoyne Park, Tubbercurry

Intermediate Championship Group D:

Coolaney/Mullinabreena  v St Patricks 6:00pm;

Senior Championship Group B:

Eastern Harps  v St Marys 7:30pm;

Sunday 09th August 2009

Venue: Markievicz Park

Junior A Chamionship Group A:

Coolera-Strandhill  v Tourlestrane 2:15pm;

Intermediate Championship Group A:

Geevagh  v St Marys 4:00pm;

Venue: Corran Park, Ballymote

Intermediate Championship Group B:

Eastern Harps  v Owenmore Gaels 2:30pm;

Junior A Chamionship Group B:

Shamrock Gaels  v Tubbercurry  4:00pm;

Venue: Shamrock Gaels Park-Coola

Junior A Chamionship Group A:

Bunninadden  v St Molaise Gaels  12:30pm;

Venue: Seamie Donegan Park, Dromard

Junior B Championship:

Enniscrone/Kilglass  v St Johns 2:30pm;

Owenmoresider

Venues are getting a bit more logical, bar one or two cases alright, then again they are trying to spread it out amongst some venues too, like Ballymote, Kent Park, Coola (ok ground, but bad pitch) etc.,but at least there's none of the sort like us going half-way to Donegal to play Mary's in 2007, and so on.

My calls for the weekend:

Senior:

John's by a few, will be an interesting one.
Easkey could take Tubber out there, won't be pretty. Amazed this one went to Enniscrone in fairness.
Harps with little fuss, but not as easy as last time.
Curry handily enough. Shams demoralised after the Harps drubbing.
Coolera with not as much comfort as they should. Scoring difference means they can't let up.
Ballymote to pull clear after getting a good run, simply too good for G/C/M overall.

Intermediate:

Geevagh with ease.
Harps with even more ease. We're a shambles and junior-bound.
Bunnies should have too much.
Hard one to call, could be a draw but I'll say Mullinabreena to sneak a win. Hopefully this one won't be abandoned!

Junior:

God only knows. Tourlestrane, Tubber, Bunninadden and John's probably.

magpie seanie

Lads and lassies - anyone doing match betting on Sligo SFC this weekend? PPower did it for the first round but nothing up yet.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 06, 2009, 12:29:09 PM
Lads and lassies - anyone doing match betting on Sligo SFC this weekend? PPower did it for the first round but nothing up yet.
Don't see them. Easkey/Tubber would be the debatable one if you were betting on it. The other five have likely outcomes.

SLIGONIAN

Lads if you do get them can post them, bettings illegal over here so cant acess them websites. Might get someone to money on for me..outright and games.

An Laoch

LADBROKES.COM

Club Football - Curry vs Shamrock Gaels - (Sligo SFC) - (Match betting)

Saturday 8th of August, 2009
Time    Selection    Odds
16:30    Curry    1/5
   Draw    9/1
   Shamrock Gaels    4/1

Club Football - Calry St Josephs vs St Johns - (Sligo SFC) - (Match betting)

17:45    Calry St Josephs    5/2
   Draw    15/2
   St Johns    4/11

Club Football - Easkey vs Tubbercurry - (Sligo SFC) - (Match betting)

18:00    Easkey    11/8
   Draw    15/2
   Tubbercurry    2/3

Club Football - Eastern Harps vs St Marys - (Sligo SFC) - (Match betting)

19:30    Eastern Harps    1/5
   Draw    9/1
   St Marys    4/1

Club Football - Ballymote vs St Molaise Gaels - (Sligo SFC) - (Match betting)

19:30    Ballymote    3/10
   Draw    15/2
   St Molaise Gaels    3/1