Man and woman found shot dead in Lurgan

Started by Minder, March 07, 2011, 09:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spuds

Would these few crazy estates about Craigavon be considered the exception rather than the norm for towns about that area ?
Portadown always seemed to get the bad publicity during the troubles. Do the towns of Portadown, Craigavon and Lurgan have their own identity or are they linked as the one urban area ?
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Tony Baloney

Quote from: spuds on March 13, 2011, 08:22:00 PM
Would these few crazy estates about Craigavon be considered the exception rather than the norm for towns about that area ?
Portadown always seemed to get the bad publicity during the troubles. Do the towns of Portadown, Craigavon and Lurgan have their own identity or are they linked as the one urban area ?
They are separated by a few roundabouts. Like all similar sized towns they have their fair share of tramps.

Eamonnca1

They all have their own identity. The plan in the 60s when Craigavon was built was to develop the space between Lurgan and Portadown and link the whole lot up to form a new city.  They built half of what was planned, and half of what they built was demolished.  Some of my earliest memories are of being driven through Craigavon in the late 70s after the big population increase failed to show up. Acre after acre of derelict housing estates, tiles falling off the roofs, any window that wasn't boarded up was smashed, graffiti everywhere. It was like Beiruit.

It had a lot of other problems too, like radical new ideas about housing being implemented on a large scale without proper testing. There was an estate called Ridgeway (now long since demolished) where the walls might as well have been made of cardboard, they reckon you could hear the conversation next door as if it were in your own living room.

The bit about segregated bike/pedestrian paths was nice in theory and it looks great on a summer's day, but in reality it's hard to beat a proper street where there's plenty of people about to keep an eye on things.  You wouldn't want to go down some of them bike paths late at night, you'd be taking your life in your hands.

Don Johnson

Jim Carlisle shot outside a primary school in Craigavon this afternoon.

My two nephews go to the school (my old primary school), but thank god they get out at 2pm, not 3pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35864018

general_lee

seafoid

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 14, 2011, 01:50:54 AM

They all have their own identity. The plan in the 60s when Craigavon was built was to develop the space between Lurgan and Portadown and link the whole lot up to form a new city.  They built half of what was planned, and half of what they built was demolished.  Some of my earliest memories are of being driven through Craigavon in the late 70s after the big population increase failed to show up. Acre after acre of derelict housing estates, tiles falling off the roofs, any window that wasn't boarded up was smashed, graffiti everywhere. It was like Beiruit.

It had a lot of other problems too, like radical new ideas about housing being implemented on a large scale without proper testing. There was an estate called Ridgeway (now long since demolished) where the walls might as well have been made of cardboard, they reckon you could hear the conversation next door as if it were in your own living room.

The bit about segregated bike/pedestrian paths was nice in theory and it looks great on a summer's day, but in reality it's hard to beat a proper street where there's plenty of people about to keep an eye on things.  You wouldn't want to go down some of them bike paths late at night, you'd be taking your life in your hands.
the breakdown in 1969 and the oil crisis killed a lot of postwar optimism in planning. Shannon was supposed to have 20k by 1980 but ended up with 8k.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

illdecide

The man shot is well known to the police and to everyone else as his name is continually in the local paper for criminal offences, I just hope there are no retaliations for this shooting as i'm sure some innocent soul will get caught up in it.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

stew

Quote from: illdecide on March 22, 2016, 11:11:32 AM
The man shot is well known to the police and to everyone else as his name is continually in the local paper for criminal offences, I just hope there are no retaliations for this shooting as i'm sure some innocent soul will get caught up in it.

If he is a hood then good enough for him, that said wtf are they doing shooting him at a school, what scumbags they are
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

general_lee

Man shot dead in Waringstown last night... One of Jim's mates  :D

Don Johnson

Quote from: Ulick on March 11, 2011, 02:20:56 PM
Quote from: dillinger on March 10, 2011, 10:44:13 PM
Glad to hear it's only Loyalists who deal in drugs. :o

The Legahory hoods have always been supplied by loyalists (mainly LVF from the Parkmore estate) over the past 25 years from 'Bonanze' when he was there, to the Marno brothers, Billy Wirght, the McNally brothers, the McKeowns  and latter day Jim Carlises (father and son). They are all the lowest form of life you could ever find and each an every one of them up to their armpits in various loyalist groupings - if you don't believe my try Googling any one of them. The McKeown brothers are a particularly hateful bunch of c***ts - one convicted of murdering Catholic teenager Bernadette Martin by shooting her in the head as she slept and another convicted of murdering Catholic taxi driver Michael McGoldrick. Hugh McGeough was every bit as bad. The link below draws attention to an attempt on his life by one of his former mates. The dispute in the article was nothing to do with with McGeough murdering the teenager but a mere fallout over the division of drugs, money and guns between themselves.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/news/thug-boss-13905828.html

For years the RUC let these c***ts run around murdering any Fenian they could lay their hands on, all the while turning a blind eye to their drug dealing. You'll not find many round Lurgan or Craigavon who would shed tears over any of them.

Mal McKeown gone then.