Connacht Minor, U-20 and Junior championships 2020

Started by Farrandeelin, April 25, 2018, 08:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 12, 2018, 02:04:33 PM
It's interesting when you see that Mayo schools have been doing quite well in recent years but it doesn't seem to be translating into underage. Galway hasn'ti even had a school in the Connacht colleges final since 2013. Our own schools haven't been doing much at all but the schools game doesn't seem to have the importance it once did.

I don't think schools football bears much relation to county success at all. The year CBS got to the A final we lost to Sligo in Kiltoom. It's a bit like Cross winning club AIs and expecting Armagh to challenge for IC titles as a result.

Tubberman

Quote from: Syferus on May 12, 2018, 03:31:04 PM
It's interesting when you see that Mayo schools have been doing quite well in recent years but it doesn't seem to be translating into underage. Galway hasn'ti even had a school in the Connacht colleges final since 2013. Our own schools haven't been doing much at all but the schools game doesn't seem to have the importance it once did.

I don't think schools football bears much relation to county success at all. The year CBS got to the A final we lost to Sligo in Kiltoom. It's a bit like Cross winning club AIs and expecting Armagh to challenge for IC titles as a result.

Well you'd hardly expect lads doing their leaving to be the linchpin of the county senior team...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Syferus

Quote from: Tubberman on May 12, 2018, 06:02:59 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 12, 2018, 03:31:04 PM

Well you'd hardly expect lads doing their leaving to be the linchpin of the county senior team...

Eh?

Blowitupref

Connacht Junior final with 3 mins to play. Mayo 1-10 Galway 1-11.

FT Mayo 1-10 Galway 1-11
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Laoiseabu

Just seen the Roscommon Mayo minor highlights . Jesus the Mayo backs look a shambles . Galway must be a fair team though to beat the Rossies by such a big margin .

Maroon Manc

Do Galway play the winners of Sligo/Roscommon?

magpie seanie

Don't think it's quite that simple Maroon Manc.....Mayo and Leitrim still in it with it being round robin.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 21, 2018, 03:04:25 PM
Don't think it's quite that simple Maroon Manc.....Mayo and Leitrim still in it with it being round robin.

My fault for not stating I meant the 20's?

Blowitupref

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 21, 2018, 03:11:46 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 21, 2018, 03:04:25 PM

My fault for not stating I meant the 20's?

Yes Galway play the winner of Sligo or Roscommon in the U20 semi final.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Mano

Sligo play Roscommon in the under 20's this weekend without their 3 best players (and probably their keeper) due to this crazy rule that under 20 players who play senior championship cannot play under 20. Again another rule implemented by GAA authorities that has an negative impact on the weaker counties. Don't think any Roscommon under 20 players lined out last weekend although the Lennon lad is injured. This 2 teams played out a very tight game at minor level with Roscommon coming from behind to win by a point. Likely to be a more comfortable victory for the Rossies at the weekend due to Sligo missing players.

Rossfan

At least this year the winners get a week's break before they play Galway.
2 years ago as Minors we had Sligo game on Saturday and the Galway game 4 days later.
Ciaran Lennon has a hand injury as far as I know while Featherstone was sub keeper last Saturday.
I expect Galway with their recent spate of good minor teams are favoured to win it out.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Mano on May 30, 2018, 10:10:19 AM
Sligo play Roscommon in the under 20's this weekend without their 3 best players (and probably their keeper) due to this crazy rule that under 20 players who play senior championship cannot play under 20. Again another rule implemented by GAA authorities that has an negative impact on the weaker counties. Don't think any Roscommon under 20 players lined out last weekend although the Lennon lad is injured. This 2 teams played out a very tight game at minor level with Roscommon coming from behind to win by a point. Likely to be a more comfortable victory for the Rossies at the weekend due to Sligo missing players.

We're missing our starting senior IC FF with a broken thumb and exams may have ruled out Michael Galavey's star forward Cathal Henaghan too. That would mean an awful lot of our offense will have to go through Cian McKeon, a senior panellist who started in the year.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on May 30, 2018, 12:24:40 PM
"Offense" ......
What next?

Defense...which Roscommon have a lot to learn about. ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus