American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 15, 2017, 12:42:45 PM
Quote from: stew on November 12, 2017, 03:33:44 PM
Right, Bears V Pack, if the pack can win this one against all the odds Da Bears  do still suck

Very disappointing from Da Bears. Really expected them to win this one.

They are a tired franchise that find ways to lose, the packers have a legacy of winning and now and again find a way to win wins they should not win, this was one such game, the Bears should be able to duff the pack at present, they never came close and da bears still suck!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Crete Boom

Quote from: stew on November 15, 2017, 12:48:18 PM
Right, Bears V Pack, if the pack can win this one against all the odds Da Bears  do still suck

They are a tired franchise that find ways to lose, the packers have a legacy of winning and now and again find a way to win wins they should not win, this was one such game, the Bears should be able to duff the pack at present, they never came close and da bears still suck!

Are you old enough to remember the Packers pre favre? They were fairly shite form Lombardi to Farve and Rodgers is starting to crack physically so yeah Da Bears suck at the moment but the arrow is pointing up for the first time since the early 2000's.
I am sure 49ers fans thought it would never end when Steve Young was getting on and see how that has turned out for them!!

Syferus

How 'bout dem Tigers? It's in their own hands for sure now.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on November 15, 2017, 02:27:38 PM

Absolutely.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Syferus on November 15, 2017, 02:27:38 PM

Yep #2 is very impressive for Clemson

magpie seanie

Quote from: Crete Boom on November 15, 2017, 02:25:07 PM

Are you old enough to remember the Packers pre favre? They were fairly shite form Lombardi to Farve and Rodgers is starting to crack physically so yeah Da Bears suck at the moment but the arrow is pointing up for the first time since the early 2000's.
I am sure 49ers fans thought it would never end when Steve Young was getting on and see how that has turned out for them!!

Yeah. When I first started watching NFL the Packers were a joke. They are missing Rodgers (and some linemen) but the Bears are missing numerous starters on both sides of the ball and have a rookie QB who has no one to throw the ball to. I'm optimistic things are going in the right direction but that was a gut punch....Bears have already beaten better teams than GB this season.

Crete Boom

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 15, 2017, 04:06:03 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on November 15, 2017, 02:25:07 PM

Yeah. When I first started watching NFL the Packers were a joke. They are missing Rodgers (and some linemen) but the Bears are missing numerous starters on both sides of the ball and have a rookie QB who has no one to throw the ball to. I'm optimistic things are going in the right direction but that was a gut punch....Bears have already beaten better teams than GB this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svKnBxJz6bM , Even a Vince Evans led Bears used to hammer the Pack pre Farve!!!!

Muck Savage

Outside 'Bama at #1 it's too hard to predict but
Winner of Miami/Clemson will get in
Oklahoma should get in
Then its a toss up with a lot of if's

Syferus

Quote from: Muck Savage on November 15, 2017, 05:57:57 PM
Oklahoma should get in

If the Tide play anything like they did at Miss State they'll be creamed travelling to Jordan-Hare.

I want to see what the committee will do with a one loss non-SEC champion Tide. A few years ago LSU beat them and won the SEC title but still got in to the national title game under the old system, winning the title.

Oraisteach

I'm curious to know what the final four will be if TCU upsets Oklahoma and Ohio State wins out.

Your question about Bama is a good one, Syf.  Assuming they don't get crushed by Auburn, I still think they're worthy of inclusion in the top four, but I'm not on the committee.  If TCU pulls off a win over Oklahoma, then I'm pretty sure the Tide still makes it.  If Oklahoma wins, then it gets really interesting.  Would the committee elevate a Big 10 champion, for example, over a 1-loss Tide.  I think they would because conference championships appear to be scale tippers to the committee.  I think that ND's not vying for a conference title will hurt them, or as one commentator put it, it won't be negative points against them but conference champs seem to get bonus points.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on November 15, 2017, 06:35:21 PM
Oklahoma should get in

If the Tide play anything like they did at Miss State they'll be creamed travelling to Jordan-Hare.

I want to see what the committee will do with a one loss non-SEC champion Tide. A few years ago LSU beat them and won the SEC title but still got in to the national title game under the old system, winning the title.

Can they be a one loss champion though? If Auburn beats them, will Auburn not win the West? And if they lose to Georgia they'll obviously not be champion.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 15, 2017, 07:47:20 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 15, 2017, 06:35:21 PM
Oklahoma should get in

Can they be a one loss champion though? If Auburn beats them, will Auburn not win the West? And if they lose to Georgia they'll obviously not be champion.

I mean Bama would be a one-loss team and not the SEC champions - Auburn wins out they win the SEC West, same goes for Bama.

AZOffaly

Ah yes, I read that wrong. I thought you said you wanted to see what they'd do with a one loss SEC champion. That's what I meant by carnage. If Auburn wins the SEC, Alabama will still be in with one loss I bet.

magpie seanie

Also - forgot to mention that the game changing challenge that Fox made had a huge impact. I think Fox and co deserve a good bit of credit for turning around the Bears, especially on defence, but that was a crazy decision to challenge. The ball was on the 1 yard line for 1st and goal and you have Jordan Howard.

gallsman

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 16, 2017, 12:26:16 PM
Also - forgot to mention that the game changing challenge that Fox made had a huge impact. I think Fox and co deserve a good bit of credit for turning around the Bears, especially on defence, but that was a crazy decision to challenge. The ball was on the 1 yard line for 1st and goal and you have Jordan Howard.

Yup but I do have some sympathy for him on that -I'm still not convinced he fumbled it until afterwards