The Official THFC thread

Started by Owenmoresider, October 25, 2007, 08:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: Main Street on April 11, 2013, 11:18:03 PM
Wasn't it last season that Basel knocked the crap out of Manchester Utd in the CL?
At least Spurs managed to get a draw in Switzerland.
:D

3-3 draw in Old Trafford after United did their usual trick of f**king up after being 2-0 up in the first 20 minutes. 2-1 to Basle in Basle in what proved to be the night that ruined United's season. Would have won the league pulling up had Vidic not got injured badly that night just before half time.

Main Street

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 11, 2013, 11:28:10 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 11, 2013, 11:18:03 PM
Wasn't it last season that Basel knocked the crap out of Manchester Utd in the CL?
At least Spurs managed to get a draw in Switzerland.
:D

3-3 draw in Old Trafford after United did their usual trick of f**king up after being 2-0 up in the first 20 minutes. 2-1 to Basle in Basle in what proved to be the night that ruined United's season. Would have won the league pulling up had Vidic not got injured badly that night just before half time.
I just remember Basel playing well in Manchester and hanging on (comfortably)  in the mud in Basel.

seafoid

The Swiss French view of the penalties

http://www.rts.ch/video/sport/football/4813420-retour-bale-tottenham-2-2-le-fc-bale-se-qualifie-lors-des-tirs-au-but-4-1.html

You can hear the excitement in the fella's voice at the end
A bit like a small county beating Kerry. 

T Fearon

Spurs will always be synonymous with the glorious penalty shoot out win that secured the 1984 UEFA Cup win over Anderlecht.The record since then in shoot outs has been poor.

It must be well nigh impossible to succeed in a penalty shoot out away from home,particularly in Europe.The home fans are baying at each opposing penalty taker.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on April 12, 2013, 06:16:23 AM
Spurs will always be synonymous with the glorious penalty shoot out win that secured the 1984 UEFA Cup win over Anderlecht.The record since then in shoot outs has been poor.

It must be well nigh impossible to succeed in a penalty shoot out away from home,particularly in Europe.The home fans are baying at each opposing penalty taker.

A lot of those English players are overpaid, Tony. What is it now? 47 years of hope. Jules Rimet's still gleaming.

Would McGeeney in his pomp have scored a penalty in to Hill 16 with Armagh 2 points down to the Dubs and  30 seconds left on the clock? Of course he would. The county would never forgive him  ;)

Would Cluxton float it over the bar in the last kick of the biggest match of the year?

T Fearon

Given the unpredictable nature of sport,you cannot predict anything.For example you would have thought that Oisin Mc Conville would comfortably despatch a penalty just before the interval in an All Ireland Final.

Professional or amateur,it makes no difference.

seafoid

Fair enough Tony. It   happens in Gaa. But English teams like Spurs have a flakiness that money does not fix. Gaa teams who overcome perceived weaknesses are called hungry. Basel were hungry. Their manager Yakin is a fascinating character. Ethnic Turk and a real outsider in white Switzerland. But he is driven. I guess Adebayor isn't.

T Fearon

I suppose it all comes down to the ability to handle the pressure best,and arguably the stakes are even higher in top class professional sport,where careers and ability to make a living are often at stake.

Adebayor is flakiness personified.As I said earlier also the home team has a decided advantage in a penalty shoot out scenario.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: T Fearon on April 12, 2013, 09:26:25 AM
I suppose it all comes down to the ability to handle the pressure best,and arguably the stakes are even higher in top class professional sport,where careers and ability to make a living are often at stake.

Adebayor is flakiness personified.As I said earlier also the home team has a decided advantage in a penalty shoot out scenario.

But Tony, let's be fair, if Spurs have any real ambitions of doing anything they should be beating Basle out through the gate!  It shows how one dimensional they are that without Bale they are toothless.  There was no leadership on the field last night apart from Michael Dawson and as you saw Adebayor is as windy as they come.  Vertongen let his team mates down badly with a very stupid and lazy tackle. 

The reality is that Spurs might struggle to qualify for Europe this season.  They won't get CL football.  Arsenal and Chelsea will get the other 2 spots.  The Blueshite are on a good run of form as well and have a game in hand over Spurs, win it and they are within catching distance of them. They have only won 4 out of their last 10 games and 1 out of the last 7.  The one they won in the last 7 was against a Swansea team who are on the beach already, happy with their trophy(remember what that is?) and European qualification.  Throw in the Bale injury and the inevitable dressing room fall out over the antelope penalty kick and you have a mess.

Billys Boots

They're reporting that last night was the seventh consecutive penalty shoot-out loss by the Spuds - I don't think it's only Adebayor that's flakey. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

deiseach

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 12, 2013, 11:12:49 AM
They're reporting that last night was the seventh consecutive penalty shoot-out loss by the Spuds - I don't think it's only Adebayor that's flakey.

It's a small sample size, but there's no home/away pattern to Spurs's record in penalty shoot-outs. They tend to lose wherever they are.

deiseach

QuoteFiction: Starting a penalty shoot-out is an advantage

A study into performance under pressure examined 95 penalty shootouts in the German FA Cup between 1986 and 2006. The results found "no grain of truth" in the idea that taking the first kick in a shoot-out held any advantage. Nor did home teams fare any better, statistically, than visitors. The researchers said: "It is particularly noteworthy that the relative frequency of the home team winning in a shoot-out, is, in fact, considerably smaller than the frequency of home teams winning in a match during the regular season... 'choking' could influence penalty conversion of home team players negatively."

'Myths and Facts about Football: The Economics and Psychology of the World's Greatest Sport', edited by Patric Andersson, Peter Ayton and Carsten Schmidt (Cambridge Scholars Publishing). Paperback £12.99; hardback £39.99. Available via www.c-s-p.org, at amazon.co.uk, or order in any bookshop (ISBN 9781847186225)

Shamrock Shore

I laughed at Adebayor's run up - knew immediately then he was going to miss.

seafoid

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on April 12, 2013, 11:24:46 AM
I laughed at Adebayor's run up - knew immediately then he was going to miss.
He was very tláthúil in his reaction as well.
Very different to poor Schweini, the craythur, after the Cl final last year.-

T Fearon

This tie was lost last week in London.Notwithstanding the failure to sign a striker in January I still think AVB is the man for the job long term,and whether CL football materialises or not,hopefully he will get the chance to build his own team this summer.