Good news for US "illegals"

Started by Star Spangler, May 18, 2007, 01:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Star Spangler

Do we have any illegally US based posters on here?  :P

Deal for Irish illegal immigrants in US

Thousands of illegal Irish immigrants in the US are to be eligible for residency under a new deal hammered out in Washington.

By:Press Association

The Irish government said the proposed reforms, which apparently have the backing of the White House, would herald the end of the nightmare for the undocumented workers.

Under the plans, illegal immigrants will pay a fine, return to Ireland and then apply for the new proposed Z visa.

Irish Foreign Affairs Minister Dermot Ahern said he was optimistic the end was now in sight for the plight of 30,000 illegal Irish residents in the States.

"We have had false dawns before but from my contacts with those on Capitol Hill, it appears we have agreement between the various sides and support from the White House," he said.

"At last we have what I believe is a deal which will end the nightmare for thousands of illegal Irish and allow them to gain residency in the US.

"I expect the deal brokered today between the Senate and the White House may be voted on as early as next week."

After successfully applying for a Z visa, holders would have to wait between eight and 13 years for a decision on their permanent residency application, under the plans.

"This is wonderful news," Mr Ahern added.

J70

They'll still be crying about the five grand though.

DUBSFORSAM1

The illegal immigrants in this country who are getting deported and unable to work etc must be wondering what sort of country we live in when we fight for the rights of illegal immigrants in another country to get residency rights... ::)

Flirtyflan

Won't exactly be jumpin for joy just yet!!!!! :(
Its a 390 page document that will be trashed out next week, alot of changes will be made. Afterall the devil hides in the details...

$5000 I have no problem with because I believe this can be paid through a period of time.
However what I want to know is when do we get our travelling papers (if we do), this is the big question ??   We miss our families!! :'(

From my interpetation of what has been released so far on this matter, is that the 'Z' visa will not happen till all borders are secure and employers are equiped with required aparatus!! How long is this weeks, months , Years?????

stew

If they are illegal they should be sent back home not being given a 'fine' to become legal, I don't care if they are Irish or Nigerian or Mexican if they are illegal they should be sent back home.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

heganboy

Stew,
thanks for those words of wisdom. The bad news for the illegals is that the bill as worked out may not have enough votes to pass. Also, with the election coming up anything that is seen as an "amnesty" on immigration can't be touched with a barge pole by those in tight races.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

stew

Heganboy I have my opinion, it obviously differs from your own and thats ok, I dont understand why you have to be so snippy about it.

I had two immediate family members that went to the states illegally and I disagreed with them and that was 20 years ago. all this marching around demanding rights for illegal immigrants pisses me off, why cant they apply for visas like everybody else instead of coming here the wrong way.

This $5,000 bribe is a disgrace, why dont they simply open up another avenue for these people to get in and offer them the opportunity to apply and get in legally without paying a token fine, I pay almost $40,000 a year in taxes myself and I see this deal as a kick in the ballix because the 5 grand that the illegal immigrants will pay as a one off taxation seems to be a sweet deal as they havent contributed anything to the government as regards taxation so the people that came in the right way get screwed and the illegal immigrants get off handy.

I dont mean to disrespect those from on here who are illegal but that is the way I feel.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

cullahmo

How do you know they are not paying income tax? I lived illegally for eight years in the states and always paid income tax. Stew, how did you get your papers? Did you when it in a lottery?

redandblack4ever

QuoteThis $5,000 bribe is a disgrace, why dont they simply open up another avenue for these people to get in and offer them the opportunity to apply and get in legally without paying a token fine, I pay almost $40,000 a year in taxes myself and I see this deal as a kick in the ballix because the 5 grand that the illegal immigrants will pay as a one off taxation seems to be a sweet deal as they havent contributed anything to the government as regards taxation so the people that came in the right way get screwed and the illegal immigrants get off handy.

Stew,

You must have one hell of an income to pay $40,000 in taxes yourself or are you including the taxes you pay on groceries, clothing, gasoline/diesel, telephone/mobile bills, etc.?

Once again you're spewing the right-wing, xenophobic talking points. Does Lou Dobbs, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity all have your personal/work fax number??

You remind me of some Irish immigrants to the US. Once they've made it, financially, they forget from whence they came. In other words, "I've got mine and f**k everybody else".

You're a real pathetic excuse for an Irishman in my book. Shame on you.

Please spare us with your "I mean no disrespect".  It's obvious to me what you're at, see above.

mrs. redandblack4ever
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

armaghniac

QuoteWe miss our families!! Cry

What is stopping you visiting them, Ireland or other EU countries will be happy to let you in. if you prefer the big bucks in the America, then it is your decision, not someone else's fault.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

heganboy

a few things:
Stew, I'm not being snippy- I think your previous post is the snippy one. The immigration legislation in the USA is very complex and far from being black and white.
mrs red and black- I know this is a contentious issue, but stew cant have forgotten where he's from if he's continuously on the GAAboard. Though the send em all home isn't exactly a rational approach.
More than 10million illegal immigrants pay income tax in the US as off 2006 that number is expected to be up by more than 50% for the last tax year. The US economy is very dependent on immigration both legal and illegal.
The issue of whether someone is here illegally and has been paying income tax for years and has a job should be allowed to stay following the fine is a key question. There are a number of other issues that are in the bill that John McCain is claiming as his own.
What do you count as coming in the right way?
also the issue of tax and "contributing anything to the government" is also economically questionable. Many illegals are forced to take very cut rates for their work, which even if they were to be taxed on those incomes would mean that their tax bills would be minimal, in may cases, had they been US citizens, they would actually be receiving subsidies from the government.
Still on the subject of immigration, none of the newspapers/ talk shows or fox seem to be interested in facts, so you have a pass until you do a bit more reading...
And for the record- I am legal and I do pay taxes too.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

new devil

Quote from: armaghniac on May 18, 2007, 05:13:37 PM

What is stopping you visiting them, Ireland or other EU countries will be happy to let you in. if you prefer the big bucks in the America, then it is your decision, not someone else's fault.

With that post u have just showed what kind of a person you are....... A sc**bag!!!!

armaghniac

QuoteWith that post u have just showed what kind of a person you are....... A sc**bag!!!!

So much for freedom of speech. What would you call a person that doesn't visit their family?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

J70

Quote from: cullahmo on May 18, 2007, 03:38:51 PM
How do you know they are not paying income tax? I lived illegally for eight years in the states and always paid income tax. Stew, how did you get your papers? Did you when it in a lottery?

You paid your full debt of income tax every year on a fake social security number?

J70

Quote from: new devil on May 18, 2007, 07:18:00 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 18, 2007, 05:13:37 PM

With that post u have just showed what kind of a person you are....... A sc**bag!!!!

What Armaghniac said is true. If you want to take your chances living illegally in the states, fine, but its your choice. No one is holding a gun to your head stopping you going home to see your family.