Bob Geldof

Started by Eamonnca1, November 14, 2017, 12:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: TheOptimist on November 14, 2017, 08:35:15 AM
Like him or not he is helping turn attention to the atrocities in Myanmar. Watched some of the newsnight film last night. It is sickening what is going on there at the minute. It reminds you how evil humanity can be and how sheltered we can be here.

I don't like him. He is a hypocrite but you are right. What is going on over there is disgusting and if it takes this idiot to highlight it for many people then its a good thing

seafoid

I think Geldof is fairly decent. Mr Hewson is a knob

Aung Sang Suu Kyi has been very disappointing.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

TheOptimist

Quote from: AQMP on November 14, 2017, 09:06:22 AM
Like him or not he is helping turn attention to the atrocities in Myanmar. Watched some of the newsnight film last night. It is sickening what is going on there at the minute. It reminds you how evil humanity can be and how sheltered we can be here.

This has been in the news for a few months, BBC and RTE have covered it extensively.  Frankly if we need to rely on a complete "look at me" arsehole like Geldof for news then society is in a worse state than I thought.

It really is.

A good tweet I seen recently read like this

"KYLIE JENNER IS PREGNANT

Ok now that I got your attention, the entire country of Puerto Rico has no power because of the hurricane"

Sums alot of it up

Esmarelda

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on November 14, 2017, 09:36:52 AM

For that reason I was am giving him a pass on this one.   I think he is grandstanding but if that wakes a few people up to what is going on Myanmar, no harm at all.

Frankly, Bob has the profile that it will generate some media interest, much more interest than the council taking her one back.

/Jim.
It'll attract attention for a couple of days. What are we as a country going to do about it? Maybe Bob might give a shout out for Syria too.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Esmarelda on November 14, 2017, 11:31:48 AM

For that reason I was am giving him a pass on this one.   I think he is grandstanding but if that wakes a few people up to what is going on Myanmar, no harm at all.

Frankly, Bob has the profile that it will generate some media interest, much more interest than the council taking her one back.

/Jim.
It'll attract attention for a couple of days. What are we as a country going to do about it? Maybe Bob might give a shout out for Syria too.

I don't think country will do much.  I think he had a wider audience in mind.  A report on this would get Myanmar in the news in the UK.

Maybe everyone will ignore it or maybe he is a man of principle.

/Jim.

AhNowRef

Quote from: NetNitrate on November 14, 2017, 12:19:56 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 14, 2017, 12:05:04 AM
Deserves a thread of its own, I think.

Am I being a begrudger or is he really an insufferable West Brit bollox?

He's right. The treatment of the Rohingya is horrific. As usual we Irish have to indulge in whataboutery and make it about his Knighthood. Of course the Shinners in council more worried about flying a Catalan flag than Rohingya babies burned alive.

He's an absolute horror and is so "west british" Im certain he must be Conor Cruise Obrien & RD Edwards' illegitimate spawn  :o

And if he's going about giving honours back due to human rights issues then maybe he should have a look at his knighthood, the insufferable west brit brown nosing pr1ck ....

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on November 14, 2017, 12:01:38 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on November 14, 2017, 11:31:48 AM

/Jim.

I don't think country will do much.  I think he had a wider audience in mind.  A report on this would get Myanmar in the news in the UK.

Maybe everyone will ignore it or maybe he is a man of principle.

/Jim.

He is spot on with regard to Myanmar, however I take exception that he is a 'man of principle'. If he was principled on the basis of bloodshed, illegal wars, subjugating groups of people etc he wouldn't have taken the KBE.

Or perhaps he is principled like Groucho Marx. Those are my principles, and if you don't like them, well then I have others.

JoG2

Looking forward to tomorrows target already!!  ;D

ziggysego

He's a gobshite.

He's right about this, but he's still a gobshite.
Testing Accessibility

Denn Forever

What's happened?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

tonto1888

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 14, 2017, 12:39:53 PM

What's happened?

Gave back his freedom of Dublin because he didn't want to be associated with a murderer.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/13/bob-geldof-renounces-honour-also-held-by-aung-san-suu-kyi

Owen Brannigan

No matter what you think of Geldof his actions and subsequent publicity have brought the issue of ethnic cleansing in Myanmar to the Board.  Just imagine we might even get around the considering the plight of the people in Yemen

armaghniac

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on November 14, 2017, 08:39:36 PM
No matter what you think of Geldof his actions and subsequent publicity have brought the issue of ethnic cleansing in Myanmar to the Board.  Just imagine we might even get around the considering the plight of the people in Yemen

I suppose the difference is that nobody every though the Saudi leaders worth of international honours, whereas Aung Sang Suu Kyi was portrayed as a sort of Asian Mandela, which she obviously is not.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

Quote from: armaghniac on November 14, 2017, 09:27:44 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on November 14, 2017, 08:39:36 PM

I suppose the difference is that nobody every though the Saudi leaders worth of international honours, whereas Aung Sang Suu Kyi was portrayed as a sort of Asian Mandela, which she obviously is not.

Perhaps she was early in her career.

But then there is an old saying that power goes to the head. Probably coined during the Roman Empire.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

magpie seanie

It's important that atrocities are highlighted so that there's a greater chance that something will be done. However I think Ziggy summed it up perfectly for me above.

I think the hypocrisy is what stands out here. Hand back your knighthood from one of the biggest killing machines in the history of the world. The phrase about taking the splinter out of someone else's eye comes to mind.