Saint Theresa of Calcutta

Started by T Fearon, September 04, 2016, 08:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Subbie

Quote from: T Fearon on September 05, 2016, 07:21:48 AM
Have been once,many years ago.Look if people get agitated by the canonisation of a nun who dedicated herself to the poor over a long life,and who had firm links to Ireland,then they have a serious problem🙄

Obviously her consorting with and defence of convicted fraudster Charles Keating does not bother you.
Or her acceptance of an honour from the utterly discredited Duvalier regime in Haiti?

Common link between both is the $$$.

Seems to me that Teasy wasn't particular in her acolytes morals as long as they were coming good with the dosh, similar modus operandi to Jimmy Saville , another notable Vatican honouree.

magpie seanie

Didn't she refuse to help people who used contraception? Saintly my hole.

Shamrock Shore

At best she would have, in political parlance if she were alive, 'questions to answer', despite the documented good she seems to have done.

At worst she was a charlatan.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 05, 2016, 11:58:49 AM
Didn't she refuse to help people who used contraception? Saintly my hole.

I see what you did there.

seafoid

The Vatican is a joke at the best of times. Most of the Irish saints were not recognised by Rome. I think only Larry O'Toole and Olly P got the Vatican nod.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

magpie seanie

I've no doubt she did loads of good but refusing to help people because they didn't hold true to church teaching is not good in my view. The catholic church is really weird when it comes to sexual matters. Junkies and alcoholics - no problem. Condoms - go to hell.

stew

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 05, 2016, 01:23:56 PM
I've no doubt she did loads of good but refusing to help people because they didn't hold true to church teaching is not good in my view. The catholic church is really weird when it comes to sexual matters. Junkies and alcoholics - no problem. Condoms - go to hell.

I agree with you Seanie 100%.

Yer man that doubts she did great work for the poor is a disgrace, she was a tremendous asset to people the world over, did she ever make miracles happen? probably not.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

easytiger95

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2007/aug/24/wasmotherteresaanatheist

Journalistic equivalent of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch ...Tony won't like this

T Fearon

Having occasional doubts about God's existence? Wondering why he has forsaken her? Didn't his own son wonder similarly during the crucifixion? Perfectly natural human thoughts.

The Saint lived a good and holy life.If she shook despots for dirty money and used it for the poor fair play to her.

There was over 120,000 people in and around St Peters Square yesterday,and millions across the globe applauding and endorsing this canonisation.I haven't heard of any such commemoration in Dublin though (there was one in Belfast) despite the fact she studied there.Not surprising given the banality of life there and the moral and spiritual bankruptcy.If it had been two siblings coming back from the Olympics with second best medals or an international football team eliminated at the last 16 of a tournament coming home,or an ageing Monarch from across the Irish Sea,Dublin would have been thronged no doubt.

brokencrossbar1

Maybe Irish people are sick to their holes of the self congratulations that a corrupt organisation lays upon itself as part of its mind control and mind f**king of the weak minded individuals across the world who don't have the wit to think for themselves? Maybe?

smelmoth

Quote from: tonto1888 on September 05, 2016, 01:08:40 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on September 04, 2016, 09:33:10 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 04, 2016, 09:26:56 PM
Believers obviously believe in the supernatural power of God,therefore when someone recovers from previously diagnosed terminal cancer for example,that is inexplicable to the medical profession,that in my opinion is a miracle.There have been numerous such cures,unexplained,at Lourdes for example.

But far more important for me anyway is the Saintly life led by Saint Mother Theresa,the main factor in her canonisation.

The current running total for cures claimed by the church is 4. All four are things that can go away (and have done so in people who haven't anywhere near the south of france). At least 3 of the people where receiving medical treatment for their complaint.

So how many legs have grown back? How many holes in the heart have repaired?

What is a "saintly life"? The serial denial of medical treatment to the dying? Would that be saintly?

Have you ever been to Lourdes? Genuine question. For me, and I've been 9/10 times and have yet to see someone get cured, the miracle is not in the cures but in the joy and happiness the place brings to people who have a lot of suffering in their lives. And to people who don't have as much suffering. Also on a personal note, one of my journeys there, a month after the death of my father, allowed to stay healing and that in itself was a miracle, tho not one the church would recognise.

Pardon me for asking but what qualities/properties does Lourdes have that bestows this great healing power? Is it some sort of placebo effect (and who would begrudge anyone that feeling)? Do the claims of the church and the Lourdes Syndicat d'Initiative not go that bit further?

And no I haven't been to the town. Been to Pau though. Felt pretty good about it. 

smelmoth

Quote from: T Fearon on September 05, 2016, 07:21:48 AM
Have been once,many years ago.Look if people get agitated by the canonisation of a nun who dedicated herself to the poor over a long life,and who had firm links to Ireland,then they have a serious problem🙄

Perfectly fine to point out the ludicrous nature of these cannonisations. One of these days the church will pipe up and say something that they feel will have some intellectual merit and it will be important to remember that there is a lunacy at the core of this organisation and its top brass.

As for Teresa it is important to examine the facts. She might of dedicated her time (fair play) but she was deluded and damaging and lessons need to be learned. I mean seriously if someone set about doing what she did today they would have to be stopped.

smelmoth

Quote from: stew on September 05, 2016, 01:28:14 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 05, 2016, 01:23:56 PM

I agree with you Seanie 100%.

Yer man that doubts she did great work for the poor is a disgrace, she was a tremendous asset to people the world over, did she ever make miracles happen? probably not.

Its a bit more that doubt.

Its one things to not be able to afford medicines but to turn them away??? Some of the hallmarks of a dealt cult?
Its one thing to not be aware of the basics of medical cleanliness but to just reject it and then subject those you are responsible for to reused needles? This is form of madness. Dangerous madness.
It particular form of love could be dangerous and it certainly was not unconditional in the way that compassionate charities and aid workers are

T Fearon

Regardless,billions of people believe a man died on a cross,and rose again (amazing this "unlikely" story has so much currency over 2000 years on).

Of course this can neither be proved nor disproved.