Learning the guitar

Started by MR E, December 29, 2009, 12:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Check the action on your guitar as well, particularly if there is some muffling with your Barre finger. Some acoustics that are not set up correctly will break your heart trying to get the notes clear.

I'll notice cramping if I haven't picked up the guitar in a few months, it also depends on the size and dexterity of your hands and fingers.

I like the idea of fingering the actual chord shapes with your fingers other than your index finger when you're just playing regular non-barre chords. It helps you become automatic when you want to throw that Barre down in there.

weareros

Learn the Bm chord
https://www.uberchord.com/blog/b-minor-chord-on-guitar-chord-shapes-minor-scale-popular-songs/

Now it's very a moody chord, but great for so many songs, particular the brooding Irish folk song like Ride On (modern one I know by Jimmy McCarthy).

But that finger shape will then let you move up and down the frets, particularly if you use it on the top A D G strings. It you want to take it up a notch from plaintive Celtic sad songs, you can start on E, and then play Eddie Cochran's C'mon Everybody. Even with muffled strings will sound great.

Another good Guitar tip is to use a Mnemonic to remember the strings. I still use two I found on the internet: Every Acid Dealer Gets Busted Eventually/Elephants And Donkeys Grow Big Ears

thebigfella

Generally I found a capo and avoiding barre chords helped with my patience  ;)

In fairness, I found it's just getting reps more than anything.I'd struggle to learn now as I go through phases where I play flat out every day and then don't look at a guitar for weeks.

JoG2

Quote from: thebigfella on May 02, 2024, 02:57:49 PMGenerally I found a capo and avoiding barre chords helped with my patience  ;)

In fairness, I found it's just getting reps more than anything.I'd struggle to learn now as I go through phases where I play flat out every day and then don't look at a guitar for weeks.

Yes, but all open chords and keys can be played without barre chords. Capo primarily used (more so for beginners) to play a song in a key which they find easier to play (either to play along with a particular song or find a key that suits their voice of they want to play and sing and setup dates at parties etc) eg you've a fav song in E, but the key of E involves a B, C#m etc.. If a beginner is more confident playing in the key of C, capo 4th fret, playing the c shape but in a different key. You prob already know this, typed so maybe someone might get some use out of it