Author Topic: Water Charges. How much?  (Read 15311 times)

Mayoffs

• View Profile
Re: Water Charges. How much?
« Reply #195 on: May 05, 2016, 11:06:21 PM »
The Water Tax was the final straw for people. Politicians have rode this country for years. They now know there's only so much austerity people are willing take.
Not fully true. Charges like property tax and USC affect workers more than other citizens and are somewhat progressive in their application.
Water charges on the other hand are the charges much more likely to affect the folks who keep their hands stuffed down the front of their tracksuits.

Hate to bang on about it but who's going to stop the price of water going through the roof once the system of charging gets implemented and accepted by the people.

Has there been a revision of the nice or lisbon treaty and a revote after the government got the mandate they wanted? I don't think so...

Theres no turning back once the charges go in, even if it was for 1 euro a month. That's the biggest issue imo.
Proper legislation should be brought in allowing a reasonable threshold of free water for every citizen and then a modest charge once
they start to overuse it. Any price changes can only be in line with CPI rises.

At the moment I can turn on every tap in my house, leave them run for a week, but it's fine because apparently I paid for it through general taxation.  ;D
....... and that's the problem. In our area we are in a newly developed private scheme that was part funded by the members and have been metered now for the past 6 years. It all works fairly; each household gets a free allocation with charges kicking in if you use extra. I invested in a rain water harvester which means I only pay the standing charge of 30 p.a. I think this system of payment should be rolled out as soon as possible because it promotes conservation and ensures that the utility is funded in a fair manner.
Problem now of course is that the majority of the public see charging for water as a tax thanks to government ineptitude and the scandalous way Phil Hogan was allowed to bulldoze Irish Water into place. The reality is that unless we fund a utility properly and fairly through metering, production of a quality public water supply and waste treatment  nationally will end up costing everyone of us a lot more. A good drought would focus people's mind's here.
we're on the verge of insanity (the verge just got narrower)

ashman

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 06, 2016, 12:18:40 AM »
The Water Tax was the final straw for people. Politicians have rode this country for years. They now know there's only so much austerity people are willing take.
Not fully true. Charges like property tax and USC affect workers more than other citizens and are somewhat progressive in their application.
Water charges on the other hand are the charges much more likely to affect the folks who keep their hands stuffed down the front of their tracksuits.

Hate to bang on about it but who's going to stop the price of water going through the roof once the system of charging gets implemented and accepted by the people.

Has there been a revision of the nice or lisbon treaty and a revote after the government got the mandate they wanted? I don't think so...

Theres no turning back once the charges go in, even if it was for 1 euro a month. That's the biggest issue imo.
Proper legislation should be brought in allowing a reasonable threshold of free water for every citizen and then a modest charge once

At the moment I can turn on every tap in my house, leave them run for a week, but it's fine because apparently I paid for it through general taxation.  ;D
....... and that's the problem. In our area we are in a newly developed private scheme that was part funded by the members and have been metered now for the past 6 years. It all works fairly; each household gets a free allocation with charges kicking in if you use extra. I invested in a rain water harvester which means I only pay the standing charge of 30 p.a. I think this system of payment should be rolled out as soon as possible because it promotes conservation and ensures that the utility is funded in a fair manner.
Problem now of course is that the majority of the public see charging for water as a tax thanks to government ineptitude and the scandalous way Phil Hogan was allowed to bulldoze Irish Water into place. The reality is that unless we fund a utility properly and fairly through metering, production of a quality public water supply and waste treatment  nationally will end up costing everyone of us a lot more. A good drought would focus people's mind's here.

Excellent post.

muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 06, 2016, 12:31:17 AM »

Excellent post.

Very good post. Except the bit about seeing water as a tax. Water charges (i.e. a tax) were agreed with the Troika as part of the bailout. Despite the ineptitude, and I agree they were inept, it was always going to be seen as a tax. I just wish they had shown some backbone and stuck with the metering idea.
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #198 on: May 06, 2016, 09:35:26 AM »
I presume they'll get into bother with the EU/ECB when the proposed budget is sent in for approval if it doesn't include an income from public water charges??
2017 Double Connacht Champions

Lar Naparka

• I just know this is gonna be our year!
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 06, 2016, 11:21:38 AM »
Can anyone tell me what criteria are used by Bord Uisce to determine the amount to be charged to households that have signed up?
The water used is not being metered at present so what considerations are taken into account?
Two of my neighbours are elderly men and each lives on his own. 
One got a bill for 4.64 and the other in very similar circumstances got a bill for 19.94. I have heard of another, younger person who lives alone and got billed for 35 plus.
I know there should be a logical explanation for those wildly varying amounts but I ca n't figure out what it is.
Anyone?

Rossfan

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 06, 2016, 12:18:25 PM »
Was it a standard Max amount of 160 or 260 but if your metered use was less you got billed for that amount??

Lar Naparka

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 06, 2016, 03:39:36 PM »
Was it a standard Max amount of 160 or 260 but if your metered use was less you got billed for that amount??
But it's not being metered Ross and that's what puzzles me.

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 06, 2016, 03:54:45 PM »
Can anyone tell me what criteria are used by Bord Uisce to determine the amount to be charged to households that have signed up?
The water used is not being metered at present so what considerations are taken into account?
One got a bill for 4.64 and the other in very similar circumstances got a bill for 19.94. I have heard of another, younger person who lives alone and got billed for 35 plus.
I know there should be a logical explanation for those wildly varying amounts but I ca n't figure out what it is.
Anyone?

Are you sure it is not being metered? Quite a few meters have been installed at this stage.
if at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Lar Naparka

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 06, 2016, 05:55:01 PM »
Anyone?

Are you sure it is not being metered? Quite a few meters have been installed at this stage.

That's what we were told by a govt. spokesman (can't recall which minster) when the original charges were set aside.  Besides, there are areas, in North Dublin at any rate, where the meters have been removed by  an anti-water charge element. I've seen a photo of 70/80 units that were ripped out, before they were destroyed. I was also assured that there were other areas where the the same thing has been done. This is an organised gang who will move in if the householder is willing and they can rip it out in a matter of minutes. Surely if that amount of units are not functioning, the water board would have taken action by now.

muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 06, 2016, 06:06:24 PM »
The FF-PD-Green Government, the one that signed us up to the Troika deal and committed us to water charges, originally wanted to charge households 500 for water.

Now FF wants credit for suspending the 260 water charge, while leaving everything completely up in the air.
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 06, 2016, 06:23:19 PM »
Ya couldn't make it up Mup. ::)
Anyway we have your man back as Taoiseach again.
How long can it last?

muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 06, 2016, 06:26:08 PM »
Ya couldn't make it up Mup. ::)
Anyway we have your man back as Taoiseach again.
How long can it last?

Not long I'd say.

Shane Ross has Transport.  ;D

Imagine him meeting what he has called The Beards' for decades to discuss the Luas strike?
MWWSI 2017

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 13, 2017, 06:06:30 PM »
So, have been living away for a few years but had noticed chat about refunds being issued for Irish Water bills that were paid.

The charges weren't in that long before I left, so my water grant payment ended up covering the total charges that I paid. I'm now led to understand that all paid charges will be refunded and they're not seeking to recoup the grant. Is this correct?

What a complete farce at the end of it all. What was does this leave Irish Water due the future?
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"

Rossfan

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 13, 2017, 07:17:57 PM »
Meanwhile me and maybe half a million other households have to pay for our water and also pay the same rates of tax as the "Free" water crowd.
What about our rights to "Free" water Ogle, Boyd Barrett, Murphy, Coppinger and all the other hoors?
Biggest farce of all was giving 100 to fckrs who didn't pay anything.

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 15, 2017, 04:13:11 PM »
Enjoy your refunds lads, any of ye that were stupid enough to pay. There's no need to thank the thousands of us that stood up for what is right, just get up off your arses the next time yourselves.