Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StGallsGAA

Quote from: Sandino on October 24, 2017, 02:47:20 PM
Former leader of the UDA Glen Barr has died. A big mover back in the 70's!

Like most of his generation he was a product of that time but unlike many in the Loyalist family he grew to see that the working class plight was a key issue across both communities. The total opposite to Gregory Campbell.

T Fearon

I see Gregory paid a glowing tribute to "Glennie" today.A bit like Mc Donald etc,great at reconciliation when they're being fawned over by the likes of Mary Mc Aleese etc,without abandoning their hardline loyalism

Dire Ear

Dougal Maguire

Careful now

Lar Naparka

The great Jinkin' Joe has passes away RIP. Mayo has lost one of its legends. Joe Corcoran would have been a true great in any era
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

stew

Bobby Gamble RIP. Bobby was an absolute legend within our club for many decades, Bobby and his wife were the absolute epitome of what it means to be GAA club volunteers, they did everything from wash the kit of entire teams and keeping it all straight to working in the club for functions and  ferrying players back and forth to and from games/practice. Bobby was an absolute gent and will be greatly missed by all who knew him.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

BennyCake

Actor Peadar Lamb (aka Fargo Boyle in Father Ted) died early September. Just seen that in the paper a few days ago.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 25, 2017, 03:35:55 PM
The great Jinkin' Joe has passes away RIP. Mayo has lost one of its legends. Joe Corcoran would have been a true great in any era

Largest funeral I've ever seen
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

T Fearon

Patsy Devlin,an Armagh native,but more closely associated with Tyrone,were he spent most of his life.Refereed the 1972 and 1974 All Ireland Senior Football Finals,and,as I recall,the 1973 Corn Na Nog Final in which my late brother was a member of the St Pats Armagh team that lost narrowly to St Colman's Newry.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: T Fearon on October 29, 2017, 10:57:36 PM
Patsy Devlin,an Armagh native,but more closely associated with Tyrone,were he spent most of his life.Refereed the 1972 and 1974 All Ireland Senior Football Finals,and,as I recall,the 1973 Corn Na Nog Final in which my late brother was a member of the St Pats Armagh team that lost narrowly to St Colman's Newry.

Paddy lived in Omagh but was always an Armagh man, related to Campbells in Armagh city.  i think he was a member of Omagh St Endas.

StGallsGAA

Very tough for family regardless as to.what he's alleged to have done.

Sacked Labour minister Carl Sargeant found dead - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-41904161

Owen Brannigan

The voice of BBC football results and so much more on the BBC, Tim Gudgin has died at 87.

https://youtu.be/RPr-af4XfQo

1950: Following a three-year period of National Service, Gudgin joined BFN Radio in Germany as a newsreader and occasional sports reviewer.
1952: Moved back to the UK and became studio manager for BBC European Service, also working as newsreader. When his boss moved to network radio, Gudgin joined him on a six-month attachment - and stayed for 10 years.
1965-71: Worked as a freelancer presenting shows such as Housewives' Choice, Midday, Out & About, Saturday Night on the Light, Treble Chance, Today, Late Night Extra, Home This Afternoon, Top of the Form, Listen on Saturday, Music Box, Family Favourites, Y.A.T.N.A.M, Friday Night is Music Night, Marching & Waltzing, Night Ride, Melody Hour and Swingalong.
1973-76: Worked as a public relations consultant in the Isle of Man.
1976: Returned to the UK and sports programme Grandstand, where he read out the horse racing and rugby results in the final score segment of the programme.
1995: Following the death of Len Martin, he became only the second person to read out the football results for BBC television on Saturday afternoons.
2011: Retired from reading the football results.

At least one GAABoard member has met Tim Gudgin.

JoG2

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on November 13, 2017, 02:17:54 PM
The voice of BBC football results and so much more on the BBC, Tim Gudgin has died at 87.

1950: Following a three-year period of National Service, Gudgin joined BFN Radio in Germany as a newsreader and occasional sports reviewer.
1952: Moved back to the UK and became studio manager for BBC European Service, also working as newsreader. When his boss moved to network radio, Gudgin joined him on a six-month attachment - and stayed for 10 years.
1965-71: Worked as a freelancer presenting shows such as Housewives' Choice, Midday, Out & About, Saturday Night on the Light, Treble Chance, Today, Late Night Extra, Home This Afternoon, Top of the Form, Listen on Saturday, Music Box, Family Favourites, Y.A.T.N.A.M, Friday Night is Music Night, Marching & Waltzing, Night Ride, Melody Hour and Swingalong.
1976: Returned to the UK and sports programme Grandstand, where he read out the horse racing and rugby results in the final score segment of the programme.
1995: Following the death of Len Martin, he became only the second person to read out the football results for BBC television on Saturday afternoons.

That reminded me of simpler times, mind the old paper Irelands Saturday Night which had all the local senior, junior and specifically for us at the time,  underage  soccer results etc..?

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: JoG2 on November 13, 2017, 02:46:19 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on November 13, 2017, 02:17:54 PM

That reminded me of simpler times, mind the old paper Irelands Saturday Night which had all the local senior, junior and specifically for us at the time,  underage  soccer results etc..?

And Tony Fearon's favourite - Spot the Ball competition.

T Fearon

Aye and the old Vernons Coupons which you had to complete and bring to the Agents House on a Friday night.

God I remember the excitement of getting a radio for Christmas one year,which would enable me to listen to the live commentary on a game on Radio 2 in those days,every Saturday.Then in 1973 we actually got a colour tv just before the Leeds Sunderland FA Cup Final,and they were rare enough at that time.

Didn't take much to excite us.