The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weareros

Would appear our fella Celts the Scots and Welsh did not vote for us. Always found them a sneaky shower. English are grand lads compared to them.

mouview

I propose we withdraw in protest. Won't do it again to us so they won't.

Avondhu star

Quote from: oakleaflad on November 15, 2017, 01:38:50 PM
The whole thing is embarrassing for World Rugby
I'm sure they are mortified that they're the best supporters in the world. Don't they realise we are great craic?
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

From the Bunker

Well handy for France having to wait 4 World Cups to be host again.

The Rugby World Cup in Ireland would have been a logistical nightmare. The governing body seen this and duly made sure we were outed!

Wildweasel74

From a security point of view a terrorist attack in france would be big issue then this world cup comes round

Walter Cronc

RWC and Olympics within a year. Easy pickings for ISIS

magpie seanie

Stop talking shite about infrastructure etc - clearly the report was a farce. We would have hosted the WC quite well. It would have been great for the country and forced the government to spend money on things the general population need so its a shame it didn't happen. I suppose it goes to show again how totally inept Dick Spring is. Along with Bruton he collapsed the peace process and only that a change of government happened just in time you can only imagine where we'd be. In this case he announced about a year ago that we had the votes wrapped up. Seems he dropped the ball.....again.

Syferus

The Irish taxpayer didn't need to be saddled with more debt. These international tournaments aren't a net positive for the host country besides as advertisements, and we already have one of the best international brands going for tourism.

screenexile

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 15, 2017, 04:18:11 PM
Stop talking shite about infrastructure etc - clearly the report was a farce. We would have hosted the WC quite well. It would have been great for the country and forced the government to spend money on things the general population need so its a shame it didn't happen. I suppose it goes to show again how totally inept Dick Spring is. Along with Bruton he collapsed the peace process and only that a change of government happened just in time you can only imagine where we'd be. In this case he announced about a year ago that we had the votes wrapped up. Seems he dropped the ball.....again.

How the f**k were people going to get around?? Our transport network is atrocious one of the main stadia isn't built yet. Dublin doesn't even have enough hotel rooms to cope with current demand how could they cope with a major international sporting event over weeks?!

If you think infrastructure had nothing to do with it you're away mad. That's even before you make the case for the waste of money!

longballin

1979 million people went to Phoenix Park to see the Pope, half a million to Galway, hundreds of thousands to Cork and Dundalk all in a few days and was managed ok... it would have been sorted... but not to be so let's get over it   8)

magpie seanie

Quote from: screenexile on November 15, 2017, 04:37:34 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on November 15, 2017, 04:18:11 PM

How the f**k were people going to get around?? Our transport network is atrocious one of the main stadia isn't built yet. Dublin doesn't even have enough hotel rooms to cope with current demand how could they cope with a major international sporting event over weeks?!

If you think infrastructure had nothing to do with it you're away mad. That's even before you make the case for the waste of money!

Unless you think there would have been a poor uptake on tickets, the tournament would have returned a nice profit.

As for the infrastructure red herring - it's a rugby world cup. Exactly how many people are you expecting to come? Millions? Even the dubious report made it perfectly clear we could manage the event, just not as well as bigger countries who have already hosted major tournaments.

AZOffaly

They expected 450,000+ visitors.

Dinny Breen

Great time for English Rugby, as for the Welsh, it's why I love beating them. Have always been about 'me'.

I think we would have hosted a fine tournament but GAA stadia aren't rugby stadia and the atmosphere would have suffered.

Not too disappointed and on the plus side it might take stop that arsehole Ewan MacKenna from popping up on my twitter feed. Christ I doubt even his mother loves him.
#newbridgeornowhere