Computer Help

Started by Armagh Cúchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Libreoffice is a great job. I've been using it for years.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Captain Black

Quote from: laoislad on November 10, 2017, 02:20:31 PM

I would 2nd that.

Syf that is spoken like a true spoofer

armaghniac

Quote from: Captain Black on November 10, 2017, 02:44:08 PM

I would 2nd that.

Most people's use of Word in at a primitive level, they make no use of Styles, References, Mailings etc, even when these things would help them do their job. if you are using these things then fork out for a proper copy and if not then use Libreoffice, which also does these things if you need them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

foxcommander

I would 2nd that.

LOL
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Syferus

I would 2nd that.

Spoken like someone who had to process a fûckton of .docx and excel files through SQL in a past life.

I could tell you the object names of every last styling option in Word if you really wanted me to, but go ahead and tell me I'm a spoofer.

Captain Black

Quote from: Syferus on November 10, 2017, 03:27:32 PM

I would 2nd that.

Spoken like someone who had to process a fûckton of .docx and excel files through SQL in a past life.

I could tell you the object names of every last styling option in Word if you really wanted me to, but go ahead and tell me I'm a spoofer.

get off your high horse and drink your buttermilk. the poor bugger probably just wants to draft a report or 2, otherwise why else is he asking gaaboard.

you reasons for directing folk to a pirate copy of a 'mega corporation's word processor is pure spoofery. libre office has been round for decades in a few guises with 10s of millions of users and is perfectly fine for 99pc of us. sure it had a 'mega corporation' behind it too in oracle, if thats what it takes to be a non substandard word processor in your eyes.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Captain Black on November 10, 2017, 03:54:59 PM

I would 2nd that.

get off your high horse and drink your buttermilk. the poor bugger probably just wants to draft a report or 2, otherwise why else is he asking gaaboard.

you reasons for directing folk to a pirate copy of a 'mega corporation's word processor is pure spoofery. libre office has been round for decades in a few guises with 10s of millions of users and is perfectly fine for 99pc of us. sure it had a 'mega corporation' behind it too in oracle, if thats what it takes to be a non substandard word processor in your eyes.
I don't want to interrupt proceedings and spoil the fun for anyone, but I'd like to point out that Amazon will accept both Ms. Word and Libre Office formats  when someone submits content for publication in the Kindle Store.
Seems to me that if Amazon accepts Libre Office copy, then it's good enough for me to use.
To be honest, I can't stand recent editions of Word with the freaking ribbon.
I still got my copy of Word 2003 and it's my word processor of choice.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

I would 2nd that.

MS Word is the standard. Market share tells you that much. That doesn't mean other options are bad at what they do, but in a world dominated by Office, where the other players routinely have to react to changes made by Microsoft to their file types and features, I simply can't recommend using them.

Even if you're not going to use it on your CV or at work, Word is easier to troubleshoot by dint of its market share. It's the same reason that, while I think it's a good browser, I'd never recommend someone use Firefox over Chrome.

If you're going free I'd recommend Google Docs above anything else simply because it's multi-user editing is excellent. But then you're stuck in the cloud and that might be a leap for those used to traditional options.

thebigfella

Google docs is more than enough for most users.

armaghniac

Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 10, 2017, 04:19:18 PM
I still got my copy of Word 2003 and it's my word processor of choice.

Word processing matured years ago. Anything much after Word for Windows 2.0 was basically over egging the cake.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: Syferus on November 10, 2017, 04:28:36 PM

I would 2nd that.

MS Word is the standard. Market share tells you that much. That doesn't mean other options are bad at what they do, but in a world dominated by Office, where the other players routinely have to react to changes made by Microsoft to their file types and features, I simply can't recommend using them.

Even if you're not going to use it on your CV or at work, Word is easier to troubleshoot by dint of its market share. It's the same reason that, while I think it's a good browser, I'd never recommend someone use Firefox over Chrome.

If you're going free I'd recommend Google Docs above anything else simply because it's multi-user editing is excellent. But then you're stuck in the cloud and that might be a leap for those used to traditional options.

You also pointed someone to a cracked version of ms word.  God knows what malware/virus/malicious code is included as part of the download.

I use Linux as my os and open office or libreoffice comes with it and has everything I need from a word processing software application and would suggest 99% of people would find the same.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Jim Bob

I have an iPad 3 which has the wide charging port.
I require a vga connector for it so I can mirror my iPad to the data projector.
I can only see vga lightning connectors online which suits those iPads with the narrow charging port priced at £49.
Anyone know where I could source one?
Have tried amazon and other online sites

Syferus

Quote from: Jim Bob on November 13, 2017, 08:08:50 PM
I have an iPad 3 which has the wide charging port.
I require a vga connector for it so I can mirror my iPad to the data projector.
I can only see vga lightning connectors online which suits those iPads with the narrow charging port priced at £49.
Anyone know where I could source one?
Have tried amazon and other online sites

Is there any DVI ones? You can just use a DVI to VGA adaptor at the end of the cable then.

trueblue1234

Does anyone know of a website that you can go onto that throws up a screenshot of another website at a particular time? Basically I need to get a screen shot of a website from back in November but the content is now down. But I remember someone giving me the details of a site that held 1000's of websites and you could select to look at it on a certain date. (I might not be explaining this great!!  :-[ )

Any help would be appreciated.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 01, 2018, 05:10:25 PM
Does anyone know of a website that you can go onto that throws up a screenshot of another website at a particular time? Basically I need to get a screen shot of a website from back in November but the content is now down. But I remember someone giving me the details of a site that held 1000's of websites and you could select to look at it on a certain date. (I might not be explaining this great!!  :-[ )

Any help would be appreciated.

This should work

https://archive.org/web/
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience