Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence of Knockbride

So extra games and a late start. Anyone reckon we'll have another re-think on our league structure this time next year?
When's the next Hastings cup game on?

jimjim

Cavan take on Roscommon in the Under 21 Hastings Cup final at Michael Fay Park, Longford this Saturday, January 30, at the Longford Slashers club grounds, where throw-in has been scheduled for 2.30pm.

BallyhaiseMan

Lads just checked teletext on BBC there at lunchtime,its reporting Mick Higgins has passed away???
I know there has been rumours,so anyone know if its true?

Denn Forever

its on BBC news on web.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/northern_ireland/8485296.stm

Cavan GAA legend Mick Higgins dies at the age of 87 

Mick Higgins won three All-Ireland senior football medals
Cavan's 1952 All Ireland winning captain Mick Higgins has died at the age of 87.

The Cavan great won three All Ireland medals, including one from the famous Polo Grounds final in 1947 when the Breffni Blues beat Kerry in New York.

Higgins, whose other All-Ireland win came in 1948, was the last surviving member of the Cavan side of 1947.

He was born in New York and returned to his mother's home town of Kilnaleck in county Cavan at five years of age.

Higgins played in his first Ulster Championship match against Monaghan in 1943 and he clinched his first senior provincial medal in the same year.

Four years later, the Cavan team flew to New York via the Azores for the historic battle for Sam Maguire against the Kingdom.

The game was played in New York to honour the memory of the Irish abroad on the centenary of the height of the Irish famine.

The Cavan team travelled by air and while the trip took 30 hours, it was a lot shorter duration than the Kerry squad's journey to the US by Ocean Liner.

"There was no huge send-off for us in Cavan, but both teams got a good reception in New York when we arrived," recalled Higgins in an interview last year.

"I remember the team stayed in the Commodore Hotel, but I stayed with my relatives."

Around 30,000 spectators watched the game and Higgins recalled the "oppressive heat" at the Polo Grounds.

Higgins and his teammates returned home to a heroes' welcome after a voyage aboard the Queen Mary.

"It was only after we arrived in Southampton that we realised the joy of it all," recalled Higgins.

"Large numbers of Cavan people turned up to see us in London and Birmingham. We were treated like kings in Cavan."

After retaining the title in 1948 by defeating Mayo, Cavan aimed for a three-in-a-row a year later but they were beaten by Meath in the decider.

However, Cavan, skippered by Higgins, got revenge over their neighbours three years later in the All-Ireland decider.

Cavan haven't appeared in an All-Ireland senior final since 1952.

He continued his involvement in the GAA after his playing days and his other great sporting passion was greyhound racing, where he became a successful trainer.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

cornafean

This is sad news. When someone dies, it is often said that their passing represents the end of an era. In Mick Higgins' case, this is especially true.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

mylestheslasher

It was a story we all knew was coming but hoped it would not. RIP Mick Higgins. Take some time to read of his achievements from player to manager to referee, its quite amazing. Another legend passes on.

Edit: I think Mick Higgins is more than worthy of his own thread on the main GAA section which i have just started.

BallyhaiseMan

So it is true
RIP to a true legend of our sport and an iconic figure in Cavan football.

boojangles

RIP to one of the true greats. As Cornafean mentions his passing represents the end of an era. Arguably the best Centre-half forward the game has ever known. As one of the true legends of football in Cavan and Ireland, at least his memory will live on.

boojangles

In case anybody was thinking of travelling, the Christopher Sheils Memorial Tournament has been postponed this weekend for obvious reasons. I wouldn't be suprised if the Hastings Cup match was off too.

Celt_Man

RIP Mick...

Another one of the greats gone and that's for sure
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Celt_Man

Quote from: boojangles on January 28, 2010, 11:16:02 PM
In case anybody was thinking of travelling, the Christopher Sheils Memorial Tournament has been postponed this weekend for obvious reasons. I wouldn't be suprised if the Hastings Cup match was off too.

Actually Boojangles it's just Friday and Saturday which is postponed till next weekend and this Sunday's fixtures will go ahead as planned
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

sheelinside

RIP Mick Higgins, a true legend. if even half the stories i've heard about him are true, he indeed must have been a special player

re the hastings final,  is that the roscommon team which won minor title a few years ago or am i getting my years totally mixed up?

Dougal

RIP Mick,never realised just how much he achieved in his life time.

roscommon won minor in 06 so that would be last years U21?
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Dougal

anyone want the club master fixture list can PM me and il send it on,it's just quite big to post here.let me know if you want all divisions or just one.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!