paddyjohn

The buck stops with the county. End of.

Hoof Hearted

Is there any reason why it can't be in ahoghill
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

paddyjohn

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on September 10, 2019, 07:56:41 PM
Is there any reason why it can't be in ahoghill

To appease St Johns. I can see their point of view also, 3 times out of the city in a week, 1 of those to the furtherest away pitch they can go to in the county. Takes a bit of fuel at 1.25/1.30 a litre. As another poster said, PG1s biggest game of the year and it's moved 24hours before due to county board.

bannside

I actually do see this from St Johns point of view too Hardstation. We are all Gaels and there are many very reasonable St Johns folk I hold high esteem who deserve their case to be heard too... As an idea off the top of my head....what about Ahoghill on FRIDAY  night.

Our pitch could hold the St Johns v Dall hurling semi under lights NEXT WED night.

And Moneyglass v Ahoghill div one relegation playoff match originally down for tomorrow night at our pitch could go ahead as planned.

Would this not be a better compromise???

Hoof Hearted

As someone suggested play the replay the day of the semi and if the final is delayed so be it
LD wouldn't mind that id imagine
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

paddyjohn

Quote from: bannside on September 10, 2019, 08:24:07 PM
I actually do see this from St Johns point of view too Hardstation. We are all Gaels and there are many very reasonable St Johns folk I hold high esteem who deserve their case to be heard too... As an idea off the top of my head....what about Ahoghill on FRIDAY  night.

Our pitch could hold the St Johns v Dall hurling semi under lights NEXT WED night.

And Moneyglass v Ahoghill div one relegation playoff match originally down for tomorrow night at our pitch could go ahead as planned.

Would this not be a better compromise???

But then the Dall are being brought into this also. What happens if they've lads away and due home this weekend?

bannside

Good point PaddyJohn to be fair. It dosent get any easier!

bogieman

You guys voted in the board, you must back their decision making now, maybe all the facts aren't known...

As regards match tomorrow night;
Suck it up, buttercup - both clubs

Ps Next year, play to finish.

Pss. If it's got a 65m line, then it's a proper pitch

Psss parking ? It's held bigger events than this, get on with it
This is not Irish dancing. -RH

The Memory Man

Lads, lads calm down with the faux outrage, you are like the Belfast Telegraph headline writer's.  Where was the out pouring of indignation for St. Johns expecting to play 3 games in 8 days and travel the length and breadth of the county?  The rednecks have to come to the Falls Rd and the place is in meltdown.

The four football quarter finals were in the South West at the weekend, the two hurling semi's are in Ballycastle on Sunday.  Rossa, St. Galls, Lamh Dhearg and ourselves all travelled at the weekend, not a word.  We're going to Ballycastle on Sunday for the second time in two years for a SHC semi final, never mind Dunloy for drawn semi final in hurling last year.  Not a word.  The diesel bill is through the roof FFS!

I can assure you all, we don't want to particularly play tomorrow night or on the 4G either, certainly increases the chances of injury and prolongs the recovery for our dual players but that doesn't really seem to resonate with the majority of you, except for our good friend Hardstation., the voice of reason, up the Rossa:)

Bannside whilst your suggestion is very admirable, its a bit late.  Call me cynical but I find it funny you didn't offer that solution when the replay was first muted, you all just assumed, the Johnnies men would traipse back up the M2 on Wed night.  I must admit it was a stroke of genius who ever came up with Colaiste FĂ©irste, and honestly I don't know if it was a fellow clubman or someone with a modicum of decency and sense of fair play in the county. 

Bannside we too had a few members advocating the nuclear option of not turning up but in all seriousness that doesn't really benefit anyone does it?  I hope PG1 reach a sensible decision and don't let the Brexiteer's/ Little Englanders prevail and come see the lovely sights of the Falls Rd under lights tomorrow night.

The best scenario for all involved was the solution we put to the county, which would have no bearing on the hurling so as not to drag Cushendall into this debacle but as I said in an earlier post, common sense wouldn't prevail and we are where we are.  There is room in the fixture schedule to push the football championship back a week.  I still hope common sense will prevail and a reprieve will be granted to Portglenone and ourselves at the 11th hour and the replay will be on Sun 22nd Sept.

In the meantime keep the posts coming, haven't had this much craic on here in a long time.  ;)

Up the Johnnies.

Dunsilly King

Memory man, you clearly don't get it. It has nothing to do with St Johns or Portglenone for me. It's utterly pathetic that a senior championship game is being played on a 3G school pitch.... let me say it again for you... a 3G school pitch. Embarrassing. The CB are clowns, insulting clowns, because you are focused on yourselves you can't see you to are being insulted to. We are a laughlin stock

bannside

I totally get that this should be at a SA venue, in fact I was surprised on Sunday when I heard it was back at Ahoghill. But it's the one day notice, the provision of an artificial pitch which demeans the competition, the lack of opportunity to practice on the surface, the apparent lack of spectator space, and obvious health and safety concerns for players supporters and of course match officials too. Theres a lot of aspects here that are being glossed over in the rush to complete the fixture, so let's hope it passes off without too much incident or rancour and the process can begin to ensure that lessons are learnt to make sure the like of this dosent happen again.

Memory Man is right here in that there dosent seem to be any common sense involved in this at all, for BOTH clubs. There are enough sensible people that could have reached a compromise if that approach had been advocated.

Spike

Yep, this has nothing to do with south or sw antrim venues - its about the pitch itself  and the apparent intervention by senior board members to get it moved to such an inadequate venue.  Surely theres another pitch in our glorious city capable of holding a match???

My personal opinion is that unless you move the hurling championship to another part of the year then this conjestion is the price you pay for success and participation in dual codes. Midweek matches seemingly ok for league campaigns but not championship.

NatSoSaff

Quote from: Dunsilly King on September 10, 2019, 11:15:00 PM
Memory man, you clearly don't get it. It has nothing to do with St Johns or Portglenone for me. It's utterly pathetic that a senior championship game is being played on a 3G school pitch.... let me say it again for you... a 3G school pitch. Embarrassing. The CB are clowns, insulting clowns, because you are focused on yourselves you can't see you to are being insulted to. We are a laughlin stock

God love these professional athletes having to get wee sore muscles playing on 3G for an hour  ::) ::) ::)

Get on with it lads. Bring the foam rollers and the resistance bands and youz will be graaaaand.  8)

imtommygunn

This thread has never ben so busy  ;D

The Memory Man

Dunsilly King, read my post I clearly do get it, we don't want to play 3 Championship games in 8 days and on a 4G surface, I cant be any clearer. ::)

Bannside again totally agree with you, there should have been consultation with both clubs before the knee jerk reaction to re fix the game for Wed night was issued, but it smacks of box ticking, get the games played, move on.  No consideration for player welfare or people's lives and commitments.  I fully understand the frustration for PG1 to get to Belfast mid week on an autumn night, i'm sure some kids will miss out too given the time they would get home.  It has implications for us too with work commitments and people requiring flights etc. , all these things need changed and sorted.

Surly there must be a plan set at the start of the year with contingences built in for abnormal events like draws!! Imagine a game going to a draw, that never happens!  It was Dunloy last year who got shafted, us this year, God knows who next year, may even be St. Enda's now they are Div 1 hurling and football next year.  We are a dual county and invariably your best footballers are also your best hurlers, they are talented people.

I appreciate its easy to criticise on here and we all do our bit but in reality we need to clear the dinosaurs from the sub committees and the divisional boards, the clue is in the title, DIVISIONAL!  We need one county board for the whole county, dissolve South, South West and North Antrim Boards.  It is a legacy from the past, and set up for the right reasons given the conflict etc. and the difficulties of travel during the troubles.  But its the power hungry, insular individuals with no regard for others, I repeat they are poison, hence the apathy towards the County at times. They just look out for their own and their own patch.  The good people on these boards could fulfil the roles within one County Board, there's plenty of jobs to be done.

Ciaran is doing a good job following on from the great work done by Saffron Vision under Collie, Terry and Paul McCann.  There is a lot good about Antrim GAA but there is a lot still needs improved.  But we need more people to take on very important roles lower down the order.  The one big failing I see is the lack of communication in how decisions are made and the reasons why.  Sean does a brilliant job of PRO promoting our games etc and long may it continue but I would like to see greater transparency and communications.  Publish the fixtures plan, venues, times, contingencies.  Don't say they are sent to your club secretary.  Put them on the website for all to see.  Everybody should have known before a ball was kicked at the weekend what the next stage was if any of the four games ended in a replay.  It looks from the outside we're making this up on the hoof.  We have a full time secretary and administrator and now we're advertising for a Financial Controller, and we are becoming more professional.   Lets get our priorities right, give our blue ribbon events (SFC & SHC) the status and recognition they deserve.  Is that too much to ask?

The most galling thing about this is the fact there is a solution in front of them but no-one will grow a pair and make the call.  Ciaran did the right thing with the league and the error with Cargin and the trophy and got widely applauded  for it.  Time for another big decision.  Its now 8.50am the clock is ticking, please someone make the right decision for all concerned.  I know you read this page.......