Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on January 07, 2019, 04:22:15 PM
Its inevitable that some clubs, due to a lack of experience/expertise, will have to get someone in to help their club.

But we don't want to turn the club game into the county game - teams with the most money - Dublin - are winning all round them with pockets full of money to keep it going....

Having a bit of luck, decent structures and committed players will take you a lot further (at club level) than having a few pound.. Davitts have more money than most clubs for years in Belfast..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 07, 2019, 04:27:10 PM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on January 07, 2019, 04:22:15 PM
Its inevitable that some clubs, due to a lack of experience/expertise, will have to get someone in to help their club.

But we don't want to turn the club game into the county game - teams with the most money - Dublin - are winning all round them with pockets full of money to keep it going....

Having a bit of luck, decent structures and committed players will take you a lot further (at club level) than having a few pound.. Davitts have more money than most clubs for years in Belfast..

agree with this. its all about having a lot of luck with your youth in terms of good players, they all stay together right up through and the coaching they get along the way.

you can throw all the money in the world at a senior team and coaches etc but they wont ever play like Dublin if the players aint there.
hurl like f**k boi!

Gold

Madness that our County team were EIGHTEEN to 2 down at half time yesterday and  no one on here appears to give a f**k. Bitching about transfers

Literally just accepting being worse than shite and not laying a glove on the opposition.

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gold on January 07, 2019, 10:48:07 PM
Madness that our County team were EIGHTEEN to 2 down at half time yesterday and  no one on here appears to give a f**k. Bitching about transfers

Literally just accepting being worse than shite and not laying a glove on the opposition.

With the squad available was that as good as we can be? The score line at home against a mediocre team was crap.. can be no positives from that at all..

With the pool of players that have made themselves available we are well below standard unfortunately.. what else can be said?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Was thinking that myself. Can't understand how a goalkeeper can't be found.

paddyjohn

Second rate performances are accepted because we've come to expect nothing else. It's the reality of where we are.

Heard that Mr Donnelly was unpopular with some PG1 players due to outside interference.... or maybe inside interference depending on what way you look at it.

Caesar

Fair play to the county lads who have made themselves available but the truth is most of them would not be playing for most other county teams. That's the reality of where we are. I feel sorry for the management who can only work with what they've got. Until we change the mindset throughout the county so that all club players want to play for the county team, we are not going to improve.

If the county were to break the bank and bring in a big name manager for a year or two, would that help? The right person might be able to get better commitment from a few of the missing players which in turn would make it a more attractive prospect for the rest of the players to commit to.

Having said that I would question the amount of genuine county quality players there are in the county who have not committed. There's not as many as some people like to believe.

In reply to the above post, I heard Donnelly was very popular with the Pg1 players and they wanted him back. They have a good young squad and there is no doubt they made a lot of progress under him.

saffronog67

Quote from: JimStynes on January 07, 2019, 11:26:52 PM

Was thinking that myself. Can't understand how a goalkeeper can't be found.

There are plenty of strong keepers in Antrim, Nugent is a strong keeper. Why has Lenny has tried to train a full forward to do nets is beyond me! He needs to be questioned on this and held accountable.  Why has Ronan Hanna, Kerrs understudy, not been approached? One of the best keepers in Ulster at Minor and u21, having played with him on development squads I saw it first hand. Speaking to him over Christmas he said he has never been asked to even attend a trial.

belfastsaff

the creggan goalkeeper oisin kerr I think that's his name is a strong goal keeper also defiantly upto that standard, Nugent should be number 1 IMO with young Hasson competing

bogieman

Happy new year.
Have only seen two really one sided matches so for this year, both rubbish, and it was more expensive to watch club minors playing than it was a senior county game !

Ps. There's more than a keeper Antrim need.
Pss. And unfortunately Christmas is just past...  8)
This is not Irish dancing. -RH

bannside

That was a good bit better tonight. Marty Johnston and Ryan Murray both made a good difference, and new boys Eoin Mc Keown Eoghan Mc Cabe Patrick Finnegan and Fergal Burke all showed up well too.

Tackling much better and only one sweeper instead of two freed us up a bit more going forward. We've a couple of huge games coming up and some really hard work going on behind the scenes, so let's get behind the team and management and see how that goes.

ONeill

I was at the Armagh game on Sunday, so amazed to hear this result tonight. Must've been like chalk and cheese. You'd have thought St Mary's would be going ok at this stage.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

bannside

I meant to say Fintan Burke.... quite impressed with him tbh! The Ranch wouldn't have the same big names as last year which makes their draw with Monaghan at the weekend all the more impressive.

Lenny still has a few St Endas lads to call on, plus possible first choice midfielders Conor Murray and Stephen Beattie who are on injured list, so I'm still optimistic that we will be competitive in our division.

shawshank

Bannside, in fairness, you have to be the most optimistic supporter I have ever come across.

bannside

If we beat youse in two weeks Shawshank I'll do a wee tour of every pub in Kilrea that night with my Antrim colours on. If we lose you won't see me for weeks!