The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

didlyi

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 04, 2017, 10:31:59 PM
After Shane O'Donnell's post match interview Des, classy as ever, just said "...the big smily head on him!" Jaysus, fecking Christ this is brutal.

Did anyone notice the banger going off at full time? Some noise off it, the whole terrace behind the goals will need fresh drawers after that!

Yes I was there and the banger went off on the stroke of full time. Instead of the usual roar of the final whistle there was complete silence until everyone realised that it was just a banger. Strange times we live in.

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: sambostar on June 04, 2017, 10:02:05 PM
I've series record set on TSG, watched Down game live earlier & couldn't believe the standard of commentary so just gone back to check some of it now. Here's Martin Carney when asked to build up the game just prior to throw-in:
"Look at Down for openers, like in the last 3 years, they've played something I think like 7 games and in championship, they've only won 1 & that was eh eh against Leitrim I think in qualifiers"
WTF is that for delivery, it's a f*cking joke that we pay a license fee to listen to this chancer. Have Down played 7 games with only 1 championship win in last 3 years or is this what Martin thinks?? These are simple facts which should be easily delivered by someone with any competence. RTE are sadly lacking in this

Agree and also noticed Paul Earley on Sky talking about Carlow beating Wexford "in Wexford Park" and twice asserting that Carlow would go straight to round two of the qualifiers.
Too many of them see it as handy cash to talk shyte and don't do even the most basic preparation.

Seany

Last night before the Armagh Down match they went back into the archive from 20 years ago and there they were; Lyster, O'Rourke and Spillane talking about that game too.  20 years ago.  Is there nobody at all in there who is prepared to say like U2 did after the Joshua Tree, OK lads, we need to go and rethink the whole thing again from the start, come up with a whole new format, brand new guests, people who really know what they're talking about.  It's an old pals club and the real problem is that the Head of Sport in RTE doesn't give a damn about the GAA.  This should be their main programme - the national broadcaster covering the national game.  It should be front and centre of every single consideration in RTE sport.  But yesterday we had the Armagh Down game covered live from the studio rather than on location.  ffs, even BBCNI go to the game lads!  The same in the League highlights show.  They will cover the three games shown by Eirsport the night before, then the two games covered by Tg4 that day (because they get them cheap) and that's it.  Cheap and not even cheerful.  They should be sitting around a table saying 'OK lads, what games weren't on the telly today or Saturday night and we'll do a major highlights programme on it.  The national broadcaster and the national game.  No wonder the GAA went to SKY.  They came live from the venue as usual with a real urgency and novelty  to their approach.  The same on Saturday night from Portlaoise.

Avondhu star

Quote from: sambostar on June 04, 2017, 11:21:42 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on June 04, 2017, 11:09:47 PM
Quote from: sambostar on June 04, 2017, 11:01:09 PM
It's not whether he's wrong or not, he's meant to be delivering facts or stats but he can't even put it into a coherent sentence. He says he thinks they beat Letrim, either they did or didn't & you've had all week to do your research. And the constant "eh, like, eh" is embarassingly amateurish

OK but that seems minor in comparison to some of the other faults the programme has
And it's not a minor issue that the "expert" analyst can't string a sensible coherent sentence together
Look yerra both teams have massive respect for each other
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Hardy

Quote from: Seany on June 05, 2017, 08:39:52 AMIs there nobody at all in there who is prepared to say ... OK lads, we need to go and rethink the whole thing again from the start, come up with a whole new format, brand new guests, people who really know what they're talking about.

seafoid

This discussion started in 2008. Any page at random would be up to date . TSG is a  parallel universe
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Esmarelda

I avoided the scores of the two Leinster games yesterday so that I could watch the highlights.

Meathv Louth up first and Dessie asks O'Rourke in the analysis afterwards if he thinks Meath will play a sweeper against Kildare the next day  :-X

Clinker

Quote from: Esmarelda on June 05, 2017, 12:44:52 PM
I avoided the scores of the two Leinster games yesterday so that I could watch the highlights.

Meathv Louth up first and Dessie asks O'Rourke in the analysis afterwards if he thinks Meath will play a sweeper against Kildare the next day  :-X

Indeed. It was all over for Laois before the highlights of their game even started.

omagh_gael

They also showed some of the significant action in the stupid intro sequence, for example, one of the Armagh goals. Total shit.

Jinxy

Yeah, that's really annoying.
Why the hell would you show goals etc. in the intro?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fuzzman

Funny, I thought the same watching the same two boys 20 years ago coming out with the same negative bullshit.
We're as bad on here now complaining about them.
Scroll back 10 pages and same posts time and again.

Tohill was one of the few that made interesting points and spoke his mind. Brolly did do that at times but he's always got another agenda and wants to save the world.

I can't see them changing much from our comments anyway.

Captain Scarlet

RTE buy GAA rights but then are so negative in football. Hurling is great as the 'hurling men' at keast have genuine enthusiasm.
Football is pure doom and gloom with no insight. RTE produce GAA coverage, with rights they have  paid for only to then dog the product out of it.
Its like the continuity announcer saying "Up next its Fair City. Its a load of shite but ye gobshites all seem to watch it..."
Flip it to their rugby coverage and everything is an epic and all the players are heroes. The pundits respect the players too.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

seafoid

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on June 06, 2017, 04:12:03 AM
RTE buy GAA rights but then are so negative in football. Hurling is great as the 'hurling men' at keast have genuine enthusiasm.
Football is pure doom and gloom with no insight. RTE produce GAA coverage, with rights they have  paid for only to then dog the product out of it.
Its like the continuity announcer saying "Up next its Fair City. Its a load of shite but ye gobshites all seem to watch it..."
Flip it to their rugby coverage and everything is an epic and all the players are heroes. The pundits respect the players too.
I think hurling is classed by RTE as sport and football is classed as a soap opera.
RTE treats hurling fans as intelligent . Football fans are assumed to be different .
It is the same between TG4 and RTE 1. TG4 viewers are assumed to be able to understand more complex ideas than RTE 1 punters  . They dont get the sane news. Gaelgeoiri dont have to have things spelt out to them.

RTE treats certain viewers as stupid.. For soccer and gaelic-games analysis RTE provide a clown.  Dhera  .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

didlyi

I think the issue is closer to home than you think. Blaming everyone from rte to refs for the doom and gloom. Why is football treated like a soap opera? Because since the start of the c'hip there has been more talk about what goes on off the pitch than on it. Even Connollys incident happened off the field.
I though Spillane was very positive and generous to football when he called the Armagh Down game a good game and the best game of the season to date. Im almost certain that was not his honest opinion.

mrdeeds

Quote from: didlyi on June 06, 2017, 05:18:42 PM
I think the issue is closer to home than you think. Blaming everyone from rte to refs for the doom and gloom. Why is football treated like a soap opera? Because since the start of the c'hip there has been more talk about what goes on off the pitch than on it. Even Connollys incident happened off the field.
I though Spillane was very positive and generous to football when he called the Armagh Down game a good game and the best game of the season to date. Im almost certain that was not his honest opinion.

He said best Ulster game to date.