The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudi

Quote from: Jinxy on August 24, 2015, 08:32:15 AM
We had a reputation for manliness that preceded us.

Till the celtic tiger came along  :) ;D

moysider

Re refs being biased against Tyrone, the same thing used to happen to us and we never complained about it.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

armaghniac

Re refs being biased against Tyrone, the same thing used to happen to us and we never complained about it.

Fixed that for you.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Syferus

What's Colm O'Rourke's obsession with 'manliness' about anyways? It always sounds equal parts hilarious and homoerotic.

Wildweasel74

Probably cause he played on a team full of men sprinkled with a few maniacs in the mix as well.

Wildweasel74

Best thing that could happen was for O`Rourke to take out his manliness on Brolly, hes the GAA equivalent of Wrestling mouth from the south Jimmy Hart, just can stand his rudeness any more.

ONeill

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 24, 2015, 09:19:36 PM
Best thing that could happen was for O`Rourke to take out his manliness on Brolly, hes the GAA equivalent of Wrestling mouth from the south Jimmy Hart, just can stand his rudeness any more.

Houl on, Joe went to a referee workshop.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Syferus on August 24, 2015, 09:09:55 PM
What's Colm O'Rourke's obsession with 'manliness' about anyways? It always sounds equal parts hilarious and homoerotic.

;D
Would love for him to spell it out for us someday

Jinxy

It's a Meath thing.
You wouldn't understand.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Jinxy

Quote from: ONeill on August 24, 2015, 09:56:59 PM

Really?
He kept that quiet.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

Quote from: Jinxy on August 25, 2015, 09:28:13 AM
Quote from: ONeill on August 24, 2015, 09:56:59 PM

Really?
He kept that quiet.

Can someone put a Cake arrow to show where this theory completely breaks down please?
MWWSI 2017

Maroon Manc

Quote from: ck on August 24, 2015, 09:49:05 AM
In fairness to RTE they gave Tyrone a right to reply but I thought Brian McGuigan didn't do a great job. "media were unfair" is the usual line wheeled out by Tyrone. From an RTE viewpoint its hard to give a right to reply when their manager won't speak to them.

I agree, thought he came across very biased and if given another chance on the show he'll need to be more impartial.

Gabriel_Hurl

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/aogan-o-fearghail-predictable-criticism-from-the-sunday-game-now-tiresome-350066.html

QuoteGAA president Aogán Ó Fearghail says The Sunday Game has become "predictable" and "tiresome" in its negativity.

Ó Fearghail also defended Tyrone's sense of grievance with how they have been portrayed in some quarters, such as The Sunday Game.

On the programme last Sunday week, Colm O'Rourke said there was "a bad smell" associated with Tyrone because of some of their on-field behaviour.

Asked if the former Meath star's comments discredited the GAA, Ó Fearghail said: "It possibly is. It's discrediting of the people themselves."

Ó Fearghail has twice criticised The Sunday Game during this championship, taking issue with Joe Brolly and Shane Curran.

"I did say it before and I would still say it again: I think some of The Sunday Game commentary is unfair. But at this stage it's predictable and in fairness it's consistent in its negativity. So it's fairly predictable. It's tiresome, I find.

"When people talk about smells or nastiness or anything like that, I just find it unhelpful in our sport.

"I like analysis where people say something is wrong and where they point out that something could be improved. There's nothing wrong with that but using that type of language is not something I like."

Ó Fearghail said The Sunday Game's analysis may be a consideration when the next round of media rights come up at the end of next season.

It was a live issue last year after Prime Time's coverage of the GAA's decision to award exclusive rights to Sky Sports for 14 games. "It might be. It could be an issue."

He refused to criticise the Central Competition Control Committee's decision to propose an eight-week ban for Tiernan McCann for bringing the association into disrepute, which was later overturned by the Central Hearings Committee (CHC). However, he agrees that Tyrone have been treated unfairly in the media.

"I wouldn't particularly comment on a specific case but I can understand why Tyrone feel, in general, a little aggrieved because I would share that. I feel myself as an Ulsterman, at times, Ulster counties and Tyrone do feel that they get a particularly negative criticism. But, at the same time, every county has to accept that if some of their members do something that isn't correct. In the (McCann) case, the committee (CHC) did find that there was a yellow card warranted so therefore it's proven that something wrong happened."

Ó Fearghail feels Ulster teams were patronised before they started winning All-Ireland titles again in the noughties although he doesn't buy the "southern media" contention cited in Tyrone.

"I think one of the greatest critics Tyrone have (Joe Brolly) is very much part of a northern jurisdiction. I wouldn't be into where the criticism emanates from. Look, new kids on the block do sometimes get criticism. Tyrone were like many Ulster counties that I certainly remember. I've been coming to All-Irelands since 1973 and Ulster counties generally, always in my memory, just came down and got well beaten.

"I shouldn't have been but I was in dressing rooms where people would say, 'Well done lads, you are doing a great job up there, we know how hard it is and keep it up'. That was unfortunate but now that they've started to do well, then there's a little bit of an edge to some commentary. It was a little patronising for a long time when I was involved in the Ulster Council for 25 years.

deiseach

Now I have this image of O'Rourke and Brolly discussing the morality of eating oysters and snails...

Soup an Samajiz

Quote from: Maroon Manc on August 25, 2015, 01:07:06 PM
Quote from: ck on August 24, 2015, 09:49:05 AM
In fairness to RTE they gave Tyrone a right to reply but I thought Brian McGuigan didn't do a great job. "media were unfair" is the usual line wheeled out by Tyrone. From an RTE viewpoint its hard to give a right to reply when their manager won't speak to them.

I agree, thought he came across very biased and if given another chance on the show he'll need to be more impartial.

Are ye feckin serious... d'ya want him to get the Kerry Head band scarf and Jersey on next time.. holy God some people just cant be pleased
Think like a wise person but communicate in the language of the people