The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

The "analysis" of where Kerry's points game from beyond the Tyrone defensive wall was hilarious. Des got all giddy and I thought we were going to see how Kerry moved players and the ball beyond Tyrone defence.
Then we get shown an image with the locations of the kicked points and frees.....that's it. Great work lads.... ::)

Beffs

Quote from: BluestackBoy on August 23, 2015, 10:47:53 PM

Same here, those fecking competitions, who in the name of God thinks they are a good idea?

They are all over RTE, tv & radio, but I've never seen any other station doing them.

The RTE accountants I imagine. The companies who sponsor and promote the competitions, pay RTE a hefty amount of money to place their products as the prize on shows that get high ratings, such as The Late Late and The Sunday Game.

ONeill

I thought McGuigan did well.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

moysider

Quote from: ONeill on August 23, 2015, 11:01:43 PM

He did. My new favourite pundit after he predicted a Mayo win v Dublin.

Main Street

Quote from: twohands!!! on August 23, 2015, 09:53:24 PM
Quote from: Main Street on August 23, 2015, 08:25:24 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 23, 2015, 07:44:45 PM
I just turn to Sky. The three lads on RTE in their shiney shoes all trying to shout over one another to say their pre-scripted spiels. Switch to Sky and they're saying things like, " I actually have to disagree with Jimmy because X,Y,Z ".. Almost civilised.
Sky have just continued with the TV3 template and added a bit more.
BBC NI pundits also have decent discussions, albeit in a more minimalist traditional setting.
It's easy for them both, they just look at rte and see what they shouldn't do.

On rte,  Whelan and O'Rourke  were considered in what they 'pundited' and didn't shout over each other, it's Brolly who's the fox in the hen house.

On RTE at one stage today they were discussing some competition for a trip to the US, which prompted me to switch over to Sky where they were discussing the Tyrone kickout strategy.

Same here, those fecking competitions, who in the name of God thinks they are a good idea?

They are all over RTE, tv & radio, but I've never seen any other station doing them.
Tony from Armagh loves those competitions and  he's a winner.

I could be exposed to just as good punditry from the same suspects on TV3 and not have to pay an extra subscription fee for the pleasure.  it's not Sky that's brilliant, it's just that they haven't Brolly or Spillane. The Sky match commentary in no better than rte, the sky guy (forget his name) ex tv3,   drives me nuts anyway and his particular culchee accent is the pits.

moysider

Quote from: Main Street on August 23, 2015, 11:50:06 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on August 23, 2015, 09:53:24 PM
Quote from: Main Street on August 23, 2015, 08:25:24 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 23, 2015, 07:44:45 PM
I just turn to Sky. The three lads on RTE in their shiney shoes all trying to shout over one another to say their pre-scripted spiels. Switch to Sky and they're saying things like, " I actually have to disagree with Jimmy because X,Y,Z ".. Almost civilised.
Sky have just continued with the TV3 template and added a bit more.
BBC NI pundits also have decent discussions, albeit in a more minimalist traditional setting.
It's easy for them both, they just look at rte and see what they shouldn't do.

On rte,  Whelan and O'Rourke  were considered in what they 'pundited' and didn't shout over each other, it's Brolly who's the fox in the hen house.

On RTE at one stage today they were discussing some competition for a trip to the US, which prompted me to switch over to Sky where they were discussing the Tyrone kickout strategy.

Tony from Armagh loves those competitions and  he's a winner.

I could be exposed to just as good punditry from the same suspects on TV3 and not have to pay an extra subscription fee for the pleasure.  it's not Sky that's brilliant, it's just that they haven't Brolly or Spillane. The Sky match commentary in no better than rte, the sky guy (forget his name) ex tv3,   drives me nuts anyway and his particular culchee accent is the pits.

Didn't know you were a Dub Mainstreet

I suspect you are talking about Mike Finnerty maybe? I'm not gone on his commentary either tbh. Not at all. Wen t from local sports journalism (good) to local radio match commentary ( I doubt they do auditions for this kind of stuff). Then he got the gigs on Setanta and TV3 and now Sky. You could say he has a voice for newspapers though. Sound fella all the same.

larryin89

You are kidding me,  was cringing for him on his 100 year fight bullshite rant, get on with it ffs ye clowns .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

ONeill

Quote from: larryin89 on August 24, 2015, 12:26:51 AM

You are kidding me,  was cringing for him on his 100 year fight bullshite rant, get on with it ffs ye clowns .

What?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

moysider

I dunno Lar. Think he had a point. Thought Tyrone today were on the end of a systematic approach to target and foul - if necessary-  the top Tyrone players ( Even Tomás O Sé pointed it out but dressed it up in a nice way). Tyrone got their success the hard way against the old money brigade ( we're talking about Dublin and Kerry here tbh). Spillane wouldn t have come out with 'puke football' if Tyrone had beaten a Mayo team that day in '03. The spin from him then would be more likely about a spineless Mayo performance.
Thought Harte got an awful lot right again today and a few crucial decisions (even beyond the cards and the peno/45 decisions went against them). They also mixed a very solid approach with several poor malfunctions. McNabb handed over 2 easy frees with silly undisciplined tackling. One defo goal chance was blown and another could chance could have been put away too. Scores that would have given Tyrone momentum, and possibly the game. I thought Kerry were very stretched at times today.

Red eye

Quote from: moysider on August 24, 2015, 12:53:55 AM

I dunno Lar. Think he had a point. Thought Tyrone today were on the end of a systematic approach to target and foul - if necessary-  the top Tyrone players ( Even Tomás O Sé pointed it out but dressed it up in a nice way). Tyrone got their success the hard way against the old money brigade ( we're talking about Dublin and Kerry here tbh). Spillane wouldn t have come out with 'puke football' if Tyrone had beaten a Mayo team that day in '03. The spin from him then would be more likely about a spineless Mayo performance.
Thought Harte got an awful lot right again today and a few crucial decisions (even beyond the cards and the peno/45 decisions went against them). They also mixed a very solid approach with several poor malfunctions. McNabb handed over 2 easy frees with silly undisciplined tackling. One defo goal chance was blown and another could chance could have been put away too. Scores that would have given Tyrone momentum, and possibly the game. I thought Kerry were very stretched at times today.

Thought Tyrone, irrespective of the decisions that may have gone against them left it behind. Missed too many chances and could have won if free taker / Niall Morgan had been on song.
Re Brian McGuigan - yes spoke well but from memory he wasn't averse to a bit of skulduggery in his time - one that still sticks was v Greg McCartan - but moving on he acquitted himself well on SG.
Looking forward to next Sunday now and as alluded to Kerry will need to tighten up a defence that can be exposed when they are ran at.

Jinxy

Re refs being biased against Tyrone, the same thing used to happen to us and we never complained about it.
We had a reputation for manliness that preceded us.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hound

Quote from: Jinxy on August 24, 2015, 08:32:15 AM
Re refs being biased against Tyrone, the same thing used to happen to us and we never complained about it.
We had a reputation for manliness that preceded us.
Until yis got the inevitable man sent off. After that the refs gave yis everything!!

southdown

I'm watching Sky from now on.  The Brolly v Wheelan saga of talking over each other is hard to follow, cringeworthy and simply crap.  It reminds of the Nolan show on BBC NI. O'Rourke can't get a word in.

ck

In fairness to RTE they gave Tyrone a right to reply but I thought Brian McGuigan didn't do a great job. "media were unfair" is the usual line wheeled out by Tyrone. From an RTE viewpoint its hard to give a right to reply when their manager won't speak to them.

Bingo

Didn't watch the Sunday Game last night but have to agree with the comments on the RTE live coverage. Its pointless at this stage with constant talking over each other, Brolly trying to make predetermined points about the greater good and Whelan looking like he pulled up a primary school chair and is sitting uncomfortably in it while trying not to look out of place.