The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 19, 2015, 06:33:35 PM
Good to see Michael Lyster back today and looking in good health. His joke about more life in him than the match was a bit distasteful.

Yeah.
He owes himself a public apology.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Main Street

BBC NI coverage of the Ulster final was very good.
That is,  if you discount the camera direction and the almost complete absence of crowd noise, I say almost because occasionally one crowd microphone would wake up and work for 10 or so seconds.
also of course it should go without saying  discount the space Martin McHugh occupied.
And also considering that the other two pundits were MONOTONE, especially Jordon whose economy in moving facial muscles  while talking is astonishing. But despite these shortcoming when on a tv sports entertainment program both  Oisin and Phil Jordon were enjoyable to listen to.
The roving  microphone man with the permanent stupefying  nordie grin, should under other circumstance have you looking for the sick bucket, but I found myself warming to his permanent state of blissful grinning positivity.
Post match, the BBC coverage stayed on pitch in the midst of the celebrations and got into the swing of the hard earned, post  game,  Ulster Final atmosphere, completed with a monaghan team hoolie in the dressing room.

The rte post game coverage was rather dour by comparison. Two thumbs up for the BBC NI gaa coverage.

screenexile

Quote from: Main Street on July 19, 2015, 09:51:06 PM
BBC NI coverage of the Ulster final was very good.
That is,  if you discount the camera direction and the almost complete absence of crowd noise, I say almost because occasionally one crowd microphone would wake up and work for 10 or so seconds.
also of course it should go without saying  discount the space Martin McHugh occupied.
And also considering that the other two pundits were MONOTONE, especially Jordon whose economy in moving facial muscles  while talking is astonishing. But despite these shortcoming when on a tv sports entertainment program both  Oisin and Phil Jordon were enjoyable to listen to.
The roving  microphone man with the permanent stupefying  nordie grin, should under other circumstance have you looking for the sick bucket, but I found myself warming to his permanent state of blissful grinning positivity.
Post match, the BBC coverage stayed on pitch in the midst of the celebrations and got into the swing of the hard earned, post  game,  Ulster Final atmosphere, completed with a monaghan team hoolie in the dressing room.

The rte post game coverage was rather dour by comparison. Two thumbs up for the BBC NI gaa coverage.

Having Niblock as commentator has transformed their coverage. He's grown up with the GAA and played a bit so he knows what he's on about.

An Watcher

I think oisin mcconville is turning into an excellent pundit. My only gripe with bbc is the amount of time they spend looking at a sub as he takes his place on the bench while the game continues!

From the Bunker

Dessie Dolan talking about how Horan did not use Parsons the last couple of years. He did not seem to know that Horan stood on his head to accommodate Parsons who was living and working in Cardiff to remain part of the Mayo squad. Also the lad is an injury nightmare! Though McStay might say something as he would know, but I'd say he did not want to cross a rookie analyst.

BennyCake

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 19, 2015, 11:32:41 PM
Dessie Dolan talking about how Horan did not use Parsons the last couple of years. He did not seem to know that Horan stood on his head to accommodate Parsons who was living and working in Cardiff to remain part of the Mayo squad. Also the lad is an injury nightmare! Though McStay might say something as he would know, but I'd say he did not want to cross a rookie analyst.

You can't expect a Rossie to know everything that's happening in Bellaghy, Bunker.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on July 19, 2015, 11:35:25 PM

You can't expect a Rossie to know everything that's happening in Bellaghy, Bunker.

Don't get me wrong I liked Dessie tonight! Just irked me with that. He's a good soul and he speaks from the heart! His comments look less scripted.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 19, 2015, 11:42:36 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 19, 2015, 11:35:25 PM

Don't get me wrong I liked Dessie tonight! Just irked me with that. He's a good soul and he speaks from the heart! His comments look less scripted.

Ya, he was good on the Munster final coverage last night too. If you just had Dessie, Tomas, McStay, Whelan and a muzzle on Brolly that you take off for a 3 minute monologue before and after a match you'd have a decent panel for the Sunday Game. Sky benefit a lot from having Canavan doing his razzmatazz analysis separately to the panelists.

galwayman

I like McStay.Seems very much on the ball with his analysis.
Comes across as a very knowledge guy.

Sidney

Quote from: screenexile on July 19, 2015, 09:53:27 PM

Having Niblock as commentator has transformed their coverage. He's grown up with the GAA and played a bit so he knows what he's on about.
He's no Jimmy Smyth.

From the Bunker

Quote from: galwayman on July 19, 2015, 11:47:31 PM

McStay goes to the edge of an argument, states his thinking and moves on without getting personal. A thing that Brolly does not do!

Spillane today talked about poets and Einstein. Scripted lines got from a book of quotes of famous people and shoved into analysis trying to sound educated and witty.

Sidney

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 19, 2015, 11:54:02 PM

McStay goes to the edge of an argument, states his thinking and moves on without getting personal. A thing that Brolly does not do!

Spillane today talked about poets and Einstein. Scripted lines got from a book of quotes of famous people and shoved into analysis trying to sound educated and witty.
I'm surprised Pat didn't reference Einstein's theory of evolution in an effort to go all academic on the development of tactics in Gaelic football.

Jinxy

Dessie Dolan was very good last night and tonight in fairness.
Doesn't try to be a smart ass and just gives an honest opinion.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

WT4E

Quote from: Sidney on July 19, 2015, 11:59:36 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 19, 2015, 11:54:02 PM

I'm surprised Pat didn't reference Einstein's theory of evolution in an effort to go all academic on the development of tactics in Gaelic football.

Off point but did Einstein have a theory on evolution?