The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Would Sport not be among their top earning broadcasts?

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 13, 2015, 01:46:06 PM
Sport is not a priority in RTE anymore

and even in the sport department, you'd have to seriously question how important the GAA is to the people in charge.
Interesting article from a soccer perspective:

QuoteBut there are also deeper social and structural reasons for the marginalisation of domestic football. Top-level sport in Ireland is hugely dependent on the tastes and patronage of the country's political elite. The national broadcaster – minutely sensitive to the whims of the privileged - is the most reliable indicator of a sport's status within Irish society.

By this measure, the primacy of the GAA is unassailable; as much for the tone and tenor of RTÉ's coverage as for its sheer volume.  By comparison with RTÉ's breathless, bombastic GAA promos, Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will looks like a home video of a family outing.

Likewise, rugby – the indissoluble social glue which binds Ireland's urban elite together – has never wanted for friends and allies in high places. Long before professionalisation and the Celtic Tiger swept rugby into the sporting mainstream, the All-Ireland League was a fixture on our screens.
http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/14301/apocalypse-always-the-many-deaths-of-the-league-of-ireland/

The article is worth a read. The author comes across a bit more upbeat than a lot of LOI die-hards.

LilySavage

I dont buy this cost argument at all. Take a look at Soccer Republic tonight and ull see a few muns coverage of evey game that was played; even if there were two men and a dog in attendance. The quality of the footage is usually very decent too as opposed to random stills on TSG of people in the crowd while the game is going on. And yesterday  their annoying habit of selecting most irrelelavant periods of games and then conpletely missing best scores, equalising scores etc.Also how would does it cost to get a single interview from each camp that lasts longer than 6 seconds?

Aaron Boone

Always good to remember the League Sunday nonsense of March-April from RTE as well. Re-run of the games already on TG4/Setanta and no results or tables. Contrast as ever to MNS or Against the Head. 

agorm

Quote from: FermGael on July 12, 2015, 10:49:51 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 12, 2015, 10:08:24 PM
Same ole bullshit, all repeated games we already seen today/last night. About time Rte Realised people want to seen qualifier games not live repeats on TV not 3 Min's highlights which is what we get if we lucky.
It's beyond a joke at this stage

I agree, same with Tyrone Meath. Coverage of that game was pathetic.

macdanger2

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 13, 2015, 03:29:55 PM

and even in the sport department, you'd have to seriously question how important the GAA is to the people in charge.
Interesting article from a soccer perspective:

QuoteBut there are also deeper social and structural reasons for the marginalisation of domestic football. Top-level sport in Ireland is hugely dependent on the tastes and patronage of the country's political elite. The national broadcaster – minutely sensitive to the whims of the privileged - is the most reliable indicator of a sport's status within Irish society.

By this measure, the primacy of the GAA is unassailable; as much for the tone and tenor of RTÉ's coverage as for its sheer volume.  By comparison with RTÉ's breathless, bombastic GAA promos, Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will looks like a home video of a family outing.

Likewise, rugby – the indissoluble social glue which binds Ireland's urban elite together – has never wanted for friends and allies in high places. Long before professionalisation and the Celtic Tiger swept rugby into the sporting mainstream, the All-Ireland League was a fixture on our screens.
http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/14301/apocalypse-always-the-many-deaths-of-the-league-of-ireland/

The article is worth a read. The author comes across a bit more upbeat than a lot of LOI die-hards.

He's probably right in that the GAA does get a large volume of coverage (reflecting it's popularity), it's the quality of the coverage that's the problem though

Syferus

QuoteFermanagh attacker Tomas Corrigan has hit out at The Sunday Game's "pathetic" coverage of the Ernemen's stunning victory over Roscommon.

About two minutes of highlights was squeezed into Sunday night's omnibus show followed by virtually non-existent analysis, but Corrigan isn't surprised by the oversight of the programme makers:

"Instead of commenting on the match it was a case of 'ah, poor oul Fermanagh, they never do well'. Like, we beat Roscommon, and they got promoted to Division One. If anyone else had have done that, they would have been talking about the game," the Kinawley man states in The Irish Daily Star.

"I thought it was lazy and as an intercounty team we deserve better. But that's The Sunday Game for you - it's rubbish. It was a bluff. I'd say all they seen was those 90 seconds highlights reel and just called it on that.

"It was pathetic - '18 clubs in Fermanagh, wee Pete doing well' and paying lip service to a few refereeing decisions. It was terrible."

http://www.hoganstand.com/roscommon/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=241007

Tomas Corrigan talking a lot of sense. Good to see a player have the balls to say it like it is. Not that I was disappointed to hear that game was shunted out of the way in record time..

blewuporstuffed

The worst thing about RTEs coverage for me, is the constant talking over each other by Brolly/spillane/orourke on the live game.
It is so unprofessional.
It's not as if any of them have great points to make that they need to shout over everyone else anyway.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

squire_in_navy_slacks

True that.................gayness is though

easytiger95

FFS Squire - have you been drinking Fearon's Kool-aid? Absolutely no call for you to bring sexuality into a criticism of a sports highlights programme. Cop on.

manfromdelmonte

Ger Canning.

Why, RTE, why?

manfromdelmonte

And Tommy Carr.
Sweet holy mother of something

5 Sams

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 19, 2015, 03:52:27 PM
Ger Canning.

Why, RTE, why?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If I made as many mistakes as he does when doing my job I'd be sacked.
The Aristocrat Years

Captain Obvious

Good to see Michael Lyster back today and looking in good health. His joke about more life in him than the match was a bit distasteful.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 19, 2015, 06:33:35 PM
Good to see Michael Lyster back today and looking in good health. His joke about more life in him than the match was a bit distasteful.

It was excellent.