The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

I can just see the headlines for that one Main Street: "Expectant Mayo County Board opposing scheduling of "their" semi-final in 9 months time"  ;D ;D ;D ::)

muppet

Quote from: Main Street on August 27, 2014, 12:21:39 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 26, 2014, 02:19:50 PM
Quote from: Main Street on August 26, 2014, 02:00:36 PM
It was proposed way back in February that should there be a replay in this semi final then it would be at a venue to be announced. These fixtures are decided by elected representatives from the 4 provinces. it's late in the day to moan about men in suits shafting the tradition for the lure of wealth.
The alternative the other day, was to take a chance that Dublin and Donegal would not draw their game, or have 2 replays on the same day at CP.  I'd have offered that option to all semi finalists to agree upon.
I am only a casual observer of  American Football but I would 100% support the collective decision of the GAA to have this magnificent event in August (remember bailing out Kildare  and financing Dublin's coaching etc does not come cheap).
Maybe the fixture calendar can be arranged differently in future.
The last big championship game outside CP I remember was the Dublin v Kerry classic in Thurles and memories from that game still live large in most anybody who watched it on tv,  never mind those who witnessed it live or tried to amidst the gridlocked  holiday traffic chaos in bogland.

What manager or County Board will make themselves a hostage to fortune by giving out about semi-final replay arrangements in advance?

Do you not know that everyone 'takes it just one game at a time'?   ;D
Precisely Muppet, Mayo are are exhibiting the worst of  narrow mé féinisn.
Way back last spring, the mayo/connacht  representatives on the CCCC had no objection to the proposed fixture schedule, which included the glaring stand out semi final replay at a venue to be announced and as long as it was some other team it was okay, but as soon as their game ends in a replay they are moaning and groaning as if it was somebody else who decided this. The facts are,  whoever is the mayo rep, gave the rubber stamp to the provisional  fixtures list but now have not got the moral backbone to lump it and support the collective.

You precisely and completely missed my point. No one from any county would whinge about a semi-final replay at the start of the season.

Secondly, a stadium to be confirmed, does not mean Limerick, dies it? A munster stadium, with the fixture being organised by the Munster Council, for the two Provincial Champions.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Muppet, I'm confused. What exactly is the issue with Limerick. It seems to waver between

1 - It's a terrible journey from Mayo
2 - The traffic will be cat in Limerick
3 - It's too close to Kerry
4 - It's a munster venue and munster v connacht champions
5 - It's not Croke Park

What's the main issue, or is it all of the above?

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 27, 2014, 03:08:49 PM
Muppet, I'm confused. What exactly is the issue with Limerick. It seems to waver between

1 - It's a terrible journey from Mayo
2 - The traffic will be cat in Limerick
3 - It's too close to Kerry
4 - It's a munster venue and munster v connacht champions
5 - It's not Croke Park

What's the main issue, or is it all of the above?

The main issue is it is an AI semi-final and it should be in Croke Park. It could still be in Croke Park but they are keeping a slot vacant so as not to discommode Dublin in the event of a draw.
The rest of the reasons are all valid but secondary.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

I agree it should be in Croke Park, and I think the American Football scheduling was a disaster. (Most College teams have a bye week in the middle of their schedule, I think you could have had a game in October if you wanted to have it in Croke Park)

However, now that it's in Limerick I think it's a great thing for the city and it should be a great occasion and a full house. If I wasn't at the American Football, I'd certainly be in at it, and having a few pints in Nancy's or The Office or Tom Collins' afterwards. Enjoy the visit.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 27, 2014, 03:27:05 PM
I agree it should be in Croke Park, and I think the American Football scheduling was a disaster. (Most College teams have a bye week in the middle of their schedule, I think you could have had a game in October if you wanted to have it in Croke Park)

However, now that it's in Limerick I think it's a great thing for the city and it should be a great occasion and a full house. If I wasn't at the American Football, I'd certainly be in at it, and having a few pints in Nancy's or The Office or Tom Collins' afterwards. Enjoy the visit.

Don't worry, I am definitely going.  ;D
MWWSI 2017

Jinxy

Then shut up giving out!

#Mayo4Sam
If you were any use you'd be playing.

GalwayBayBoy

Don't think any of those college teams want to travel overseas in the middle of their season which is why it's nearly always the first game that they are willing to go abroad for.

The NFL teams don't really want to either but the NFL makes them.

muppet

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 27, 2014, 03:52:02 PM

Don't think any of those college teams want to travel overseas in the middle of their season which is why it's nearly always the first game that they are willing to go abroad for.

And wtf will they do if the College game is a draw? Where will THAT replay be?

Actually I was thinking, why don't we forget Croke Park altogether? We can have a 'series' for the semi-finals and final. Just like the Baseball (Rounders) and Basketball (1970s Gaelic Football) in the States. Mayo Kerry could play 3 games on a home and away basis (the higher placed team in the League gets 2 home games) and the AIF can be a series of 5 games. This would fill the 8 weeks from quarter finals to final nicely. Think of the opportunities for Provincial grounds and think of the excitement!

Jinxy to show I have no hard feelings for your telling me to shut up - I am happy to let you bring the idea to Congress.  ;D
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on August 27, 2014, 03:58:55 PM

Actually I was thinking, why don't we forget Croke Park altogether? We can have a 'series' for the semi-finals and final. Just like the Baseball (Rounders) and Basketball (1970s Gaelic Football) in the States. Mayo Kerry could play 3 games on a home and away basis (the higher placed team in the League gets 2 home games) and the AIF can be a series of 5 games. This would fill the 8 weeks from quarter finals to final nicely. Think of the opportunities for Provincial grounds and think of the excitement!

Jinxy to show I have no hard feelings for your telling me to shut up - I am happy to let you bring the idea to Congress.  ;D
Muppet- it's not just exciting. The NFL is a $5bn business  and most of the ads occur during the playoffs. The GAA is missing massive marketing opportunities with this old fashioned "let the best team win" stuff.   
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on August 27, 2014, 04:03:21 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 27, 2014, 03:58:55 PM

Muppet- it's not just exciting. The NFL is a $5bn business  and most of the ads occur during the playoffs. The GAA is missing massive marketing opportunities with this old fashioned "let the best team win" stuff.

Think of the atmosphere in McHale Park and Fitzgerald Stadium! I suspect Kerry, whatever about us, would manage to keep dates in August & September free to avoid clashes. Think of the Dubs up in Ballybofey at the weekend. And imagine the atmosphere at an AISF in Parnell Park! Wow.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

I know GBB, but I'm saying if you had to have a game in Croker, better to try and negotiate on those terms. If not, I don't think they should be scheduling the game for peak GAA season in Croke Park.

Maybe a redeveloped Pairc, or Thurles would be better, but in my opinion this is something that just doesn't 'fit' with the GAA schedules, and should be played in the Aviva instead.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 27, 2014, 04:23:37 PM

I know GBB, but I'm saying if you had to have a game in Croker, better to try and negotiate on those terms. If not, I don't think they should be scheduling the game for peak GAA season in Croke Park.

Maybe a redeveloped Pairc, or Thurles would be better, but in my opinion this is something that just doesn't 'fit' with the GAA schedules, and should be played in the Aviva instead.

This is it in a nutshell.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

I'm sure Croke Park are eyeing up that third Wembley NFL game, this year is all about putting themselves on the map for major American football games. They stole a march on the Aviva getting this match and were attendence to exceed the 50k capacity of the Aviva the gravy train is going to start rolling in their direction.

NFL regular season games would be in the dream slot for the GAA, total dead season for Croke Park.

For me the refusal to use Sept. 6th is the big f**k-up in all this.

AZOffaly

Yup, the NFL is the target, Peter McKenna more or less admitted that, but London will be hard to dislodge now. He also mentioned that. The NFL probably won't want a two city European element. I think they will stay with London.