The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zip Code

Quote from: take_yer_points on August 04, 2014, 10:40:28 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 04, 2014, 10:23:19 PM
Quote from: take_yer_points on August 04, 2014, 08:31:55 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on August 04, 2014, 08:20:18 PM
You sound like you will be scarred for life ,take_yer_points ,after witnessing Goold having a piss.

No, not scarred for life at all - far from it. I think it's a very strange thing to do on a football pitch, particularly when the match is live on TV and with tens of thousands of people in attendance. It's been a pet hate for years and have seen numerous people do it in club matches but never at that level.

I also find it strange that so many people think it's ok.

Why post a massive picture of it though?

Why not post a picture on the board? It's not like I took a sneaky picture when nobody knew i was doing it - it's a still picture taken from a live television broadcast. I used the picture to provide an example of something that's been a pet hate for years and to stimulate some discussion.

Someone mentioned seeing this in junior soccer previously. That's not a good comparison though - this is the highest level of GAA competition in the biggest stadium in the country - a comparison with a big match in the Aviva would be more suitable. I don't think you'd see this happening in that scenario.

Or maybe the media are complicit in hiding it from television viewers in the Aviva as well as in Croke as someone suggested.

You obviously went out of your way to be offended, posting the picture on a message board which has no age restrictions for people joining is more offensive in my opinion.  You must have little to be worried about.

imtommygunn

Quote from: yellowcard on August 05, 2014, 12:42:09 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 05, 2014, 12:33:35 PM
Cahill courts controversy for a few headlines. That's what he was at with Eamon O'Hara and he tried it on Donal Og. You could see the beaming smile on him when McHugh said this as if "yes we've got a headline".

He seems more of the mould of tabloid anchor - get me a headline - and not a man who will engage debate.

McHugh, Splllane and Brolly shouldn't be near the roles they're in. Tomas O'Se is good - not so sure about Earley yet - and to be honest McStay isn't too bad despite sounding a bit whiny...

Yeah, Cahill does do smugness very well. Tomas O'Se is the best addition for a while in terms of pundits, I think he is more in tune with the average GAA supporter than most other fellows who are only interested in their own self publicity and egos.

O'Se has also been screwed by "trial by tv" on the sunday game so I think that makes it quite interesting. (I think it was Limerick in a munster final)

Ciaran Whelan has also possibly been??

The two seem reluctant to court controversy on incidents.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 05, 2014, 01:58:25 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 05, 2014, 12:42:09 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 05, 2014, 12:33:35 PM
Cahill courts controversy for a few headlines. That's what he was at with Eamon O'Hara and he tried it on Donal Og. You could see the beaming smile on him when McHugh said this as if "yes we've got a headline".

He seems more of the mould of tabloid anchor - get me a headline - and not a man who will engage debate.

McHugh, Splllane and Brolly shouldn't be near the roles they're in. Tomas O'Se is good - not so sure about Earley yet - and to be honest McStay isn't too bad despite sounding a bit whiny...

Yeah, Cahill does do smugness very well. Tomas O'Se is the best addition for a while in terms of pundits, I think he is more in tune with the average GAA supporter than most other fellows who are only interested in their own self publicity and egos.

O'Se has also been screwed by "trial by tv" on the sunday game so I think that makes it quite interesting. (I think it was Limerick in a munster final)

Ciaran Whelan has also possibly been??

The two seem reluctant to court controversy on incidents.

Im surprised Enda McGinley hasnt been used more by some of the TV stations, hew as excellent the couple of times he appeared on BBC.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

5 Sams

Apart from Whelo and Tomás......Oisín McConville would be up there with the fresh news faces talkin a bit of sense and giving real insight into the game. He's used quite a bit on RTE radio and I think he is excellent.
The Aristocrat Years

smort

I cannot stand Oisins voice! McGinley is a good shout, liked him on BBC.

Hound

Funny how a bit of bias can change your perspective on things.

I usually really enjoy Brolly, especially when he's taking the mick out of Spillane and O'Rourke.
But I didnt enjoy at all the way he tried to undermine and belittle Whelan for refusing to write off Galway at half time v Kerry.

Hardy

Quote from: take_yer_points on August 04, 2014, 03:05:35 PM
Quote from: Zip Code on August 04, 2014, 01:49:07 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on August 03, 2014, 10:42:58 PM
Brian & Andy Mallon brothers! Jesus wept.

I was pishing myself at that!

Speaking of pishing yourself, has this been mentioned anywhere since yesterday??

Take that down, you eejit.

Have you considered that his family may well see it here?

Your supposed outrage at the offence to public taste doesn't tally with going to the trouble of clipping it from the TV coverage, blowing it up to full screen size and posting it on a public forum. If you were really outraged, you would surely not want to look at it, never mind further offend by making it available for all to see.

Syferus

A lot more than his family saw it on TV :o

The genie was out of that particular bottle the moment the producer fell asleep at the controls.

Hardy

We have no control over what RTÉ show. And an inadvertent, fleeting half-second, probably missed by most and never again to be seen is a world away from lovingly clipping and processing it to be shown in close-up here. Weird and insensitive carry on in my opinion.

screenexile

Quote from: Hardy on August 05, 2014, 04:47:11 PM
We have no control over what RTÉ show. And an inadvertent, fleeting half-second, probably missed by most and never again to be seen is a world away from lovingly clipping and processing it to be shown in close-up here. Weird and insensitive carry on in my opinion.

It was longer than half a second it seemed to be at least 4/5... I don't understand the outrage though people need to have a bit of cop on is it really that big a deal??

ck

Quote from: take_yer_points on August 04, 2014, 04:45:55 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 04, 2014, 04:41:10 PM
I genuinely don't understand why someone would go out of their way to:
a) rewind and pause the footage
b) take a picture of their telly
and
c) share the image on the internet

To highlight that some dirtbag took a piss in the middle of Croke park and it was caught on live television. What's so difficult to understand?

Some dirtbag? You serious? How many pre Cship huddles have you been in mate? It's the done thing, across many team sports. Anyone who would question this kinda sounds like an old Aunty who thinks shes discovered something knew, as everyone else rolls their eyes.

It would fit you better to use your editing skills and cut and paste Martin McHughs head on the top of that mans willy!

Dinny Breen

Be thankful TYP has never seen the famous Gary Linenker incident, he'd have it plastered all over the board.
#newbridgeornowhere

take_yer_points

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 05, 2014, 05:59:12 PM
Be thankful TYP has never seen the famous Gary Linenker incident, he'd have it plastered all over the board.

Seen it surely - I think you'll have no bother finding you tubes of it never mind images.

Took the photo down - didn't think there'd be a problem posting an image of something that was on the tele.

My point still stands - I think it's an awful practice that I've seen on numerous occasions but this is the first time I've seen it at that level.

yellowcard

Its just another example of some peoples determination to be outraged and offended at the smallest thing possible. If you've never witnessed it on a football field before then your either a liar or blind. It doesn't look great in the middle of GAA headquarters and they deserve a fine, but there are more important things going on than to over hype something as trivial.

take_yer_points

Quote from: yellowcard on August 05, 2014, 06:11:49 PM
Its just another example of some peoples determination to be outraged and offended at the smallest thing possible. If you've never witnessed it on a football field before then your either a liar or blind. It doesn't look great in the middle of GAA headquarters and they deserve a fine, but there are more important things going on than to over hype something as trivial.

You did see the bit if my post that said I've seen it before but never at that level?