The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Big Quigleys some operator!

Itchy

According to Carr Fermanagh had not quality up front 10secs  after naming Quigley mom after scoring 2.7.

imtommygunn

Carr is as good at co commentary as robbie savage!

Quigley looks like he hasn't a care in the world.

Syferus

Colm basically calling Sean Quigley a fat bastard.

Jimmyjimson

The Sunday Game crew have annoyed me for years now, but today, with my Fermanagh hat on, I thought the pundits were particularly dreadful.

I'd say the depth of their research on the Fermanagh team was a cursory glance at this year's league tables and a quick look at the Sunday Game's 5 minute highlights of the Antrim game. They'd no idea who any of the players were except for the 3 lads still around from 2004. Not one of them mentioned that Tomas Corrigan, who'd been arguably our best forward in the league was missing or that Johnny Woods, our best defender, had a broken jaw. Just simple stuff that would have taken a few minutes research but these were things that impacted heavily on Pete McGrath's gameplan. Mind you it seemed they knew little about the Laois players either except for the obvious ones like Munnelly, Kingston and Begley.

As for the commentary team, a poster above mentioned Morrissey's patronizing attitude towards Fermanagh. It's not just Fermanagh he does it to. The incredulous tone in his voice when he describes a player from a lower ranked team kicking a half decent score has been a bugbear of mine for manys a year.

You'd hope for a bit of analysis from the National broadcaster. They've lapsed into throwing out lazy cliches and sweeping generalizations. 'Fermanagh are playing a more traditional style under Pete McGrath'. How about giving us some examples of this ? compare how they set up against Cavan last year with how they played against Antrim maybe. Instead lets speak about how both Laois and Fermanagh were quite good in the mid noughties but not so much now. Spillane even got to throw in the old 'half of Fermanagh are Protestants and other half is under water' line.  At least he was relatively positive about us before the match though compared to his sidekick Chuckles O'Rourke.

Anyways, fair play to Laois. They got over the line even though they played badly for long patches and that should hold them in good stead for the future. As for Fermanagh, we've the McKenna Cup to look forward to in January.  :)

maigheo

Watched the Sky presentation of the Sligo v Galway  game after and the difference from the Rte presentation to the sky one was startling.It was quite a shock to the system to see analysts properly talk about a game and show the audience whats happening in a game and why, as opposed to the tired old cliches and talking over each other that we hear from the RTE telecast.If Sky getting involved in the GAA and there excellent presentation of the games is not the wake up call to Rte to draft in some new blood then I do not know what is.

Syferus

Some of the actual presentation on Sky - the graphics, the VTs, the intro - have actually been remarkably poor.

Rachel Wyse is a far better presenter than Matt Copper, the rest is mostly just having good analysts and co-commentators - the exact same ones as on TV3 in many cases.

Not seeing the revolution or even evolution that some of ye are. Maybe that'll come in time.

rrhf

The simple presentation compared to that of the nualas is remarkable.  A caricature of Rte coverage might be
Hello by Michael and then 3 eejits wake up and start talking of their hopes for a good game and football no fist passes. By half time their most important stat s relate to hand passes and frees.  By full time it's hand passes frees dives and black cards  have I missed anything. 

maigheo

nope.Hit  the nail on the head there RRHF.

Beantown

Ger, who is Carol Lacey from Donegal???

manfromdelmonte

how is Carney allowed commentate?

he is so biased!
cannot remember the Antrim players names!

Murphy won a handy free = Martin says it was defo a free
Antrim won a free = soft free

Hardy

Quote from: Beantown on June 22, 2014, 01:52:52 PM
Ger, who is Carol Lacey from Donegal???

That Carthy is at it on the radio, too.

How do illiterates get jobs in communications with the state broadcaster?

Two out of three RTÉ commentators are telling us this week about the golf at "Photo" Island.

Maguire01

Apparently it's Tyrone playing Armagh next week!

Wildweasel74

Had give RTE  amiss the day and decided to watch the game on BBC2 . Who in there right mind thinks Mark Sidebottom should comment  on a GAA game, he has not a clue, never stops talking shite about stuff not relevant to the game, and it is easy to see he has no understanding of this game, Wish peter canvan would tell him to belt up, at least he knows what he talking about!

rrhf

1000 hand passes by o rourke.  Mildly interesting football as predicted.  These Rte so called experts have no respect for footballers nor understanding of the current game. They do bore.