The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qwerty28

Longford chairman Brendan Gilmore has hit out at the Sunday Game's coverage of the county's Leinster championship win, claiming the discussion unfairly centred on Offaly.

Analysis of the game ran for less than a minute of Sunday evening's programme and Gilmore was disappointed the Longford players were not afforded the credit they deserved.

Pundits Kevin McStay and Ciarán Whelan were charged with assessing the first-round clash, but the discussion was focused completely on Offaly's Leinster woes of recent years.

Gilmore referenced last year's controversial qualifier encounter against Wexford which was the focus of much debate on the Sunday Game.

He added: "Now when we do win, there is very little discussion on it. Hopefully in three weeks' time if we do win again, the coverage will concentrate a little more on Longford."

Gilmore accepted Offaly carry greater weight in football circles, but said weaker counties should not be discriminated against in terms of the level of coverage they receive.

"I was disappointed with the coverage," he fumed.

"This was big win for both players and management. There was a lot of pressure there and it was a much needed championship win. I was involved in our last championship win over Offaly and that was back in 1965 so that tells you how much we needed to win this. Everyone in Longford then was looking forward to sitting down and watching the Sunday Game on Sunday night to see what the pundits had to say about Longford, to see how the game was analysed.

"Fair play to Ciarán Whelan who congratulated Longford on the win and focused on Longford despite the fact that he was asked to comment on Offaly. I was looking forward to see who the lads thought played well, what areas they believed we were strongest in. There was none of that.

"We deserve fair coverage and I don't think our lads got that. I was disappointed that the rest of the pundits didn't even comment on Longford's win."

Longford midfielder Michael Quinn insists progress will not have been achieved unless the scalp of Wexford is taken on the second weekend of June.

"[Sunday's] win is not really worth anything if you can't follow it up with another game. Consistency is a huge problem that we need to work on. Once you get the work-rate, the consistency will come.

"We know we have three tough weeks ahead of us but it's a good position to be in and we're looking forward to it.

"There's no love lost between the two of us but we know what they're capable of. At the end of the day, we played in our last league game against them that led to us being relegated so we're out for revenge."

Meanwhile Offaly secretary Tommy Byrne said they will await referee Martin Higgins' report before deciding on whether or not to appeal David Hanlon's red card.

The full-back was dismissed after 66 minutes of Sunday's contest.

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Shamrock Shore

Qwerty28

I think you can understand why I decided not to post The Chair's comments in a previous post.

Reads awful gobshitey to my eyes.

johnneycool

Hence the value of a good manager who sees things and reacts in real time.

Zulu

Pat Spillane says the black card wasn't really tested in the league because of the lack of physicality in the tackle before immediately saying it should have been trialled in the pre-season competitions like the McKenna cup etc. So Pat, if the league and McKenna cup don't give us realistic test conditions for the black card then what's the point in trialling them in these competitions? An argument devoid of any logic.

omagh_gael

For all Eoin Mulligan's flamboyance on and off field he is a terribly wooden analyst. Would have expected him to be more at ease in front of the camera.

WT4E

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 26, 2014, 09:32:48 AM
For all Eoin Mulligan's flamboyance on and off field he is a terribly wooden analyst. Would have expected him to be more at ease in front of the camera.

It is pain staking to watch. Fair play to him for giving it a go - not as easy as some make it look I'm sure. What would the rate be for doin it?

Tomás O'Sé  is excellent though.

If Mugsy had half a dozen pints in him he'd be much better. lol

cockahoop

on another note i thought the highlights of the down tyrone match were terrible with commentary which was obviously done in a studio after the match and terrible sound quaulity,i would have thought with sky getting involved rte would up there act

Ringfort

Has anyone outside the Island of Ireland been able to view the evening highlights edition of The Sunday Game yet? My understanding of it was that this would be available to view on demand this year (not sure where I read that but thought it was to do with the upcoming GAAGO service). I have not been able to find anything on the rte player or through the 'watch and listen' section of the rte GAA-part of the website.

Zulu

Nope, I thought so too ringfort and I'm sure I was able to watch it last year. I've tweeted both the Sunday Game and RTE player asking this question but got no reply. It appears it won't be available abroad but I don't understand why.

Croí na hÉireann

I take it all back, that was awful muck on Sunday having a discussion about the black card. It's highlights and insightful analysis we want to see, and not allocating the main highlights to a match that was already shown live that afternoon.  >:(
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

lenny

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 03, 2014, 04:56:47 PM
I take it all back, that was awful muck on Sunday having a discussion about the black card. It's highlights and insightful analysis we want to see, and not allocating the main highlights to a match that was already shown live that afternoon.  >:(

Totally agree. I was really looking forward to the highlights of the Antrim Fermanagh game but it was condensed into a couple of minutes with most of the scores not shown. The black card debate was quite interesting but took too long. I also think eoin mulligan is terrible as a pundit. He has worked for bbc in this role for a year or 2 but shows no signs of improvement. If they want a Tyrone perspective on rte they should've gone for enda Mcginley.  He is intelligent, articulate and gives a good insight. Very impressed with Tomas o'se also.

omagh_gael

Agree with your comments re Enda, he was impressive last year on BBC. However, I'd be sure, as a fellow Clubman of Harte's, he would not make himself to RTE at the present time.

theticklemister

where can i watch the sunday game (9.30) version again on web?

All of a Sludden

I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Orangemac

Des Cahill just said Shakalakaboomboom on Sunday game. Seems to be as part of some sort of dare where he has to say certain words every week. These words are sent in on Twitter.

Is this how RTE are stepping up to the plate in face of Sky showing GAA?