The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Zulu on May 22, 2014, 02:58:30 PM
Yep. I think Seafoid has asked what RTE could do that would make the SG better and I can see where he is coming from but I think a lot of simple things could improve their shows. Eugene Magee was interviewed on Newstalk discussing Offaly football's problems and he did, as he usually does, some amount of waffling and stuttering Stanley type of delivery. Pat Spillane is another who uses a thousands words when one hundred would suffice. I think getting panelists who can dissect a game and get to the point quickly would help for a start and a midweek show with a more in-depth analysis of the games would be a big help. For me, it isn't necessarily about the format but the content of that format which is often neither informative or entertaining. 

EDIT: Sorry Seafoid posted the above before I saw you had joined the discussion.

So more pithy and less windy?

Do I get the job?
MWWSI 2017

Jinxy

I thought the Gooch did well the other night.
He's never going to say anything too controversial but at least he was sensible & articulate.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Croí na hÉireann

The Sunday Game seem to be changing direction. There was slightly more analysis there than usual on the night time highlights show I thought and on the live afternoon edition they seem to be moving towards splitting up the 3 Nualas. Similar to the way the school teacher has to move the biggest dossers in the classroom to the four corners. They should never increase coverage of any Longford game though, too much at the minute if anything.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

seafoid

Quote from: Zulu on May 22, 2014, 02:58:30 PM
Yep. I think Seafoid has asked what RTE could do that would make the SG better and I can see where he is coming from but I think a lot of simple things could improve their shows. Eugene Magee was interviewed on Newstalk discussing Offaly football's problems and he did, as he usually does, some amount of waffling and stuttering Stanley type of delivery. Pat Spillane is another who uses a thousands words when one hundred would suffice. I think getting panelists who can dissect a game and get to the point quickly would help for a start and a midweek show with a more in-depth analysis of the games would be a big help. For me, it isn't necessarily about the format but the content of that format which is often neither informative or entertaining. 

EDIT: Sorry Seafoid posted the above before I saw you had joined the discussion.
I agree about the content being the problem. You walk away thinking you didn't learn anything much from the programme.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 22, 2014, 03:09:06 PM
The Sunday Game seem to be changing direction. There was slightly more analysis there than usual on the night time highlights show I thought and on the live afternoon edition they seem to be moving towards splitting up the 3 Nualas. Similar to the way the school teacher has to move the biggest dossers in the classroom to the four corners. They should never increase coverage of any Longford game though, too much at the minute if anything.
Longford could have its own dedicated  channel on Saorview with Albert Reynolds nostalgia and the football.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq_tPH_ZBhs

Jinxy

The analysis of the Tyrone kickouts after Morgan went off was a perfect example of how to use available footage to illustrate a simple but important piece of data.
You can say 'Tyrone lost the next 4 kickouts' or you can demonstrate how and why they lost the next 4 kickouts.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Jinxy on May 22, 2014, 03:25:58 PM

The analysis of the Tyrone kickouts after Morgan went off was a perfect example of how to use available footage to illustrate a simple but important piece of data.
You can say 'Tyrone lost the next 4 kickouts' or you can demonstrate how and why they lost the next 4 kickouts.

Precisely. And Whelan showing Fanning of Louth moving back to sweep in front of the full back line was another example I was thinking of.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Zulu

Haven't seen the SG yet but that sounds exactly like the type of thing they should have been doing all along. The Sky effect I wonder? That type of thing is interesting, informative and a whole deal better than simply giving out about too much hand passing etc. 

muppet

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 22, 2014, 03:49:15 PM

Precisely. And Whelan showing Fanning of Louth moving back to sweep in front of the full back line was another example I was thinking of.

Michael Duignan springs to mind as a good exponent of proper real time analysis.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Yeah, I thought the Sunday game was good there. Whelan was articulate, and while it wasn't anything overly complex, a lot of the time it isn't! The clips of the Tyrone half backs visibly shrinking into themselves and allowing the Down half forwards stream towards the breaking ball areas was as clear as you can get, and very interesting. Interesting because it was shot from behind the goals on a different camera, not one used during the game. Those cameras behind the goals often pick up action and movement that you don't get from the standard broadcast camera positions.

Also the defensive wall employed by Roscommon (I think) designed to encourage Leitrim into running into a trap (almost like a basketball press) 40 metres out was cleverly shown.

Shamrock Shore

QuoteLongford could have its own dedicated  channel on Saorview with Albert Reynolds nostalgia and the football.

Albert is from Roscommon!

QuoteThey should never increase coverage of any Longford game though, too much at the minute if anything.

LOL

Rossfan

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 22, 2014, 04:13:02 PM
Also the defensive wall employed by Roscommon (I think) designed to encourage Leitrim into running into a trap (almost like a basketball press) 40 metres out was cleverly shown.
Now if only we can learn to defend on our side of the half way line we'll be grand. ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

johnneycool

Quote from: muppet on May 22, 2014, 04:09:54 PM

Michael Duignan springs to mind as a good exponent of proper real time analysis.

You seldom get that from the panels at half time during the actual games, they more or less pick out the highlights and talk over them, maybe the odd bit where some team or other will need to buck up to get back in the game etc, normally pretty generic stuff.

Maybe they don't have the time with all the ads etc, etc, don't know.

seafoid

Quote from: johnneycool on May 22, 2014, 04:39:00 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 22, 2014, 04:09:54 PM

You seldom get that from the panels at half time during the actual games, they more or less pick out the highlights and talk over them, maybe the odd bit where some team or other will need to buck up to get back in the game etc, normally pretty generic stuff.

Maybe they don't have the time with all the ads etc, etc, don't know.
They don't have time to sit down and pick up what really matters either. I was watching the 3 musketeers with Bill Herlihy on the second day of the Champions League Semis and they focused on the first match, 24 hours later, and it was actually very  informative  because they had analysed the plays and could say exactly why Guardiola's tactics didn't work with examples from when he was at Barcelona etc.

And you need time to do that. Talking fluff is more the default when it's live. 

Jinxy

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 22, 2014, 04:13:02 PM
Yeah, I thought the Sunday game was good there. Whelan was articulate, and while it wasn't anything overly complex, a lot of the time it isn't! The clips of the Tyrone half backs visibly shrinking into themselves and allowing the Down half forwards stream towards the breaking ball areas was as clear as you can get, and very interesting. Interesting because it was shot from behind the goals on a different camera, not one used during the game. Those cameras behind the goals often pick up action and movement that you don't get from the standard broadcast camera positions.

I hope they do the same for Cluxton at some stage.
Seeing the movement out the field from the keepers perspective is much more informative than the side-on view.