The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: Jinxy on July 29, 2013, 12:00:37 AM
Quote from: orangeman on July 28, 2013, 11:56:31 PM
I nearly pissed myself laughing at Whelo talking about Tyrone's cynicism and fouling.

Rich.

I'm going to have to pull you up on this.
There's a difference between good, old fashioned dirt and cynical fouling.
The former involves digs in the jaw, the latter involves trying to pull the shorts off the man in possession.
I reckon we need more dirt and less cynicism to be honest.

I'd go along with that.

We'll agree on that much.

EC Unique

Quote from: Jinxy on July 29, 2013, 12:00:37 AM
Quote from: orangeman on July 28, 2013, 11:56:31 PM
I nearly pissed myself laughing at Whelo talking about Tyrone's cynicism and fouling.

Rich.

I'm going to have to pull you up on this.
There's a difference between good, old fashioned dirt and cynical fouling.
The former involves digs in the jaw, the latter involves trying to pull the shorts off the man in possession.
I reckon we need more dirt and less cynicism to be honest.
I'd rather have torn shorts than a broken jaw.

Jinxy

I bet you would alright.  8)
If you were any use you'd be playing.

EC Unique

Jinxy

Quote from: orangeman on July 29, 2013, 12:01:58 AM
Quote from: hardstation on July 28, 2013, 11:59:41 PM
I was disappointed with Meath. They were fairly soft and bordering on gay.

You're not allowed to describe Meath in those terms.

You'll get the road off here if you're not careful for comments like that HS.

They're either gay or they're not. Bordering on gay doesn't count.

We are a team in transition.

orangeman

Quote from: Jinxy on July 29, 2013, 12:17:10 AM
Quote from: orangeman on July 29, 2013, 12:01:58 AM
Quote from: hardstation on July 28, 2013, 11:59:41 PM
I was disappointed with Meath. They were fairly soft and bordering on gay.

You're not allowed to describe Meath in those terms.

You'll get the road off here if you're not careful for comments like that HS.

They're either gay or they're not. Bordering on gay doesn't count.

We are a team in transition.

Ok then - what do youse want to be known as ?

Half and half ?

Half rice half chip ? Curry sauce or gravy ?

Throw ball

Does the fact that Henry Shefflin got sent of for 2 mainly minor fouls while teams can systematically close out a game with continuous fouls and gamesmanship not point to a major flaw in our games?

orangeman

Quote from: Throw ball on July 29, 2013, 12:30:26 AM
Does the fact that Henry Shefflin got sent of for 2 mainly minor fouls while teams can systematically close out a game with continuous fouls and gamesmanship not point to a major flaw in our games?

Did Fennelly and the man he was tangling with before the penalty get yellow carded or does it have to be on the ball to get a yellow ?

Sunday game said tonight that Sean Cavanagh didn't get yellows for his late indiscretions ? I thought he picked up a yellow for one of them ?

Time for the FRC to review their decision.

Jinxy

That Shefflin was sent off at all is the classic example of the exception proving the rule.
Hurlers in general get away with absolute murder.
The refs are encouraged to swallow their whistle and let the game flow.
The ball was thrown in for the 2nd half while two lads were flaking each other right in front of the ref.
It's semi-organised chaos.

Throw ball

Probably did not explain my point too well there Hardstation. IMO Shefflin made an honest attempt to win the ball. As the rules stand he deserved to get sent off. No argument. However, if we take Tyrone ( only because they are the ones highlighted this week) they managed to play the last 10 minutes with constant fouling, slowing of the play, knocking the ball away and generally arsing about without suffering any real penalty against the team. (SON sending off was too late to effect the game). Surely that cannot be right?

Jinxy

True.
They won because of diving.  :D

cadhlancian

Meath were consistently STOPPING Tyrone's runners on the break with 3rd man tackles. Tyrone were also guilty, and all teams are at it these days. It will always be highlighted when a team is hanging on at the end of a game. It was going on the whole f**king match!

Zulu

This is the issue and why I support the black card, even though I don't think it is the correct deterrent. Fouling needs to be seriously punished or there is no reason not to foul to gain an advantage. IMO any foul where there has clearly been no attempt to tackle the ball deserves a red card and a one match ban. Shefflin's high tackle wouldn't fall into this category both Cavanagh would certainly have been sent off.

Jinxy

I agree that the black cards won't eliminate the problem but they are a step in the right direction.
It will also encourage forwards to take their men on.
If a common sense approach is taken and our Northern cousins don't go out of their way to sabotage the whole thing, I think it'll work well.

johnneycool

Quote from: Jinxy on July 29, 2013, 12:38:08 AM
That Shefflin was sent off at all is the classic example of the exception proving the rule.
Hurlers in general get away with absolute murder.
The refs are encouraged to swallow their whistle and let the game flow.
The ball was thrown in for the 2nd half while two lads were flaking each other right in front of the ref.
It's semi-organised chaos.

Hurling referees have tightened up a good bit this year, not sure what Barry Kelly was thinking when the started the second half with two lads wrestling the heads off each other and chose to play on, and then come back to it after awarding Kilkenny the penalty, yet not card O'Neill for the stroke that he awarded the penalty for. he lost the plot a bit there alright.
Shefflin was well off the pace of the game and his slap on the Cork lad for the first yellow was lazy and no attempt at playing the ball, the other hurl/arm around the neck has been picking up yellows all year, so just because its Henry Shefflin and Kilkenny shouldn't matter.

What did O'Neill do in the first half that merited a card, hardstation? He was certainly putting in some power when under a dropping ball, but he's entitled to so long as he's going for the ball.

In a good sense its harder for hurling referees to blow for fouls as most hurlers on the receiving end plough on giving the referee a decision to make on stopping the play, award the foul, but then there's no advantage as momentum may be lost, whereas in football it seems going down is the first option, get the free, pop it up to some lad to take the free and on you go, if its inside 40 yards going down is the only option for some footballers.
Fouls in football are more frequent but the taking of them doesn't stop the flow of the game as much as in hurling unless they bring the feckin keeper 100 yards up the park.