Time to ditch a United Ireland and Build a Northern Irish Identity

Started by Applesisapples, November 19, 2013, 04:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

QuoteIt would appear the SDLP have already bought into this Northern Irish identity, within the uk. Mark Durkan has by way of commending an Early Day motion he brought in honour of Seamus Heaney in the British HoC said he was well recieved in England Scotland and Wales as well as his own Northern Ireland...good man mark you show the SDLP's Republican credentials to the full. I wonder what Heaney would have thought...toasting the Queen next Mark eh?

I don't think this has anything to do with a Northern Irish identity, one way or the other, to be perfectly honest.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

I think the only real difference of the Irish either side of the border, is their mindset. A few generations from the independence, and the Southerners definitely are different to the Northerners in that way.

Applesisapples

Quote from: armaghniac on November 22, 2013, 04:54:27 PM
QuoteIt would appear the SDLP have already bought into this Northern Irish identity, within the uk. Mark Durkan has by way of commending an Early Day motion he brought in honour of Seamus Heaney in the British HoC said he was well recieved in England Scotland and Wales as well as his own Northern Ireland...good man mark you show the SDLP's Republican credentials to the full. I wonder what Heaney would have thought...toasting the Queen next Mark eh?

I don't think this has anything to do with a Northern Irish identity, one way or the other, to be perfectly honest.
Seamus Heaney transended the border and politics. Durkan has like his fellow Londonderryman Gregory Campbell claimed him as exclusively Northern Irish.

armaghniac

QuoteSeamus Heaney transended the border and politics. Durkan has like his fellow Londonderryman Gregory Campbell claimed him as exclusively Northern Irish.

I wouldn't agree with claiming Heaney as exclusively "Northern" Irish. But I don't see that Durkan necessarily did this.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

snoopdog

Im from Down but have lived in Dublin for a long time. I do notice when I go home that my cousins send kids to  non denominational schools which I can't imagine promotes a anything Irish. I do see a northern Irish identity emerging where when I grew up we always counted ourselves Irish. I never felt any common ground with my protestant neighbours, always felt they treated us as second class citizens and still think they do. saying that I don't really feel any common ground with my Dublin neighbours either, maybe its more a country city thing.