Manchester Arena

Started by Dougal Maguire, May 22, 2017, 11:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmarelda

Quote from: seafoid on May 26, 2017, 12:31:51 PM
The Americans dropped a bomb in Mosul in Iraq. It set off explosions in ISIS caches. The bombs destroyed a building
in which civilians were taking shelter. 100 civilians were killed. It is all rotten.
I'd start a thread but it might be a bit insensitive.

35 more allegedly killed by the US in Deir Ezzor yesterday.

Has anyone has got some photos of the dead kids they could send to Ivanka?

Wildweasel74

I thought this thread was for the manchester bombing; somehow we ended up in iraq again! There not a seperate thread for syria;iraq etc and if its revelant in the no of deaths there which we already knew was happening, how come it wasnt been posted on that thread!

Esmarelda

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 26, 2017, 03:01:27 PM
I thought this thread was for the manchester bombing; somehow we ended up in iraq again! There not a seperate thread for syria;iraq etc and if its revelant in the no of deaths there which we already knew was happening, how come it wasnt been posted on that thread!
Syria, Iraq etc? These are one off attacks much like Manchester was. An obvious enough tangent to go off on I thought given the terrorism background. You seem upset by it. Just skip the comments if you are.

JoG2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 26, 2017, 03:01:27 PM

If this was a forum where relatives or friends were on, I'd agree. However, I don't see the problem in folk now discussing other atrocities because the Manchester bombing is linked to what is happening in the middle east. We canny hide our heads in the sand. Weans are getting blown to smithereens daily in the middle east. The world is now a very nasty place run by absolute lunatics

screenexile

Rudd think's it's "completely outrageous" for Corbyn to suggest there are connections between British/Western Foreign Policy and terrorism.

Is this not a widely accepted fact? Of course there's other reasons but the West coming into Libya/Syria/Afghanistan etc. surely has to be a pretty f**king big one!!

seafoid

The reaction from Manchester was very impressive.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

red hander

Quote from: haranguerer on May 26, 2017, 02:03:07 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 26, 2017, 12:42:44 PM
The Belfast Telegraph is a filthy rag.

Spot on

Ridiculously scaremongering story, and rightly having the urine extracted out of it across Twitter with the hashtag beltelbomber. But I'm actually more offended by the plug to the Bananarama story. So a girl can't attend the funeral of her band's roadie murdered by a British soldier without it being somehow political? f**k ME PINK! That is disgraceful

michaelg

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 25, 2017, 10:10:45 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 25, 2017, 09:37:24 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 25, 2017, 08:47:38 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 25, 2017, 04:30:21 PM
Economic policy and polarisation are linked to terrorism.

In UK, it results from isolation, segregation of populations and ghettoisation and then thrives in these conditions.  With Jihadist terrorism, UK has allowed ghettoes to develop, white flight in Northern towns has segregated the population by heritage.  Without being able to mix, learn and live with all others, those of non-UK heritage develop a world view which is a polar opposite of those of UK heritage.  In such circumstances, those who want to radicalise others find it easier to do.  If you live in a world where no one challenges the orthodoxy of the community then a false narrative or a re-writing of the historical narrative is easily achieved.

The British are aware of this http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/05/fish-eaters-and-fasters
However, in their typical hypocritical way they are actively encouraging similar ghettos of unassimilated "British" people in this country.

Sadly, I see no remedy to the polarisation by religion of the population in NI.  It has developed since the beginning of the Troubles and has been mapped by Stephen McCaffrey:

https://www.thedetail.tv/mapfiles/index.html

Until we begin to live and learn without the religious segregation that we have for much of the population in our towns the opportunities for continued radicalisation of the young will permeate, hence, we see the emergence of the dissident republicans and a continued development of loyalist paramilitarism.  Did the British encourage this polarisation for their own benefit?  I don't know.
How are 'The British' actively encouraging ghettos then?  People retreated to live with their co-religionists after the outbreak of the Troubles.  Difficult to put that back in the bottle, particularly when people still feel safer, especially in interface areas, living with people from their own community.

StGallsGAA

Does anyone else think the £1M joint donation from United and City seems a bit paltry given the dozens dead and maimed?  Won't  go to far if divided equally. 

I'm sure United could've given £1M themselves and since City's wealth is as bottomless as the hole in the ground that they pump it out of £10M or even £100M would be buttons to them. 

Syferus

This thread is such a fûcking mess.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Syferus on May 27, 2017, 01:38:26 PM
This thread is such a fûcking mess.
Yes, we've been told that many times. Repeating that message isn't helping to tidy it up.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: StGallsGAA on May 27, 2017, 11:29:48 AM
Does anyone else think the £1M joint donation from United and City seems a bit paltry given the dozens dead and maimed?  Won't  go to far if divided equally. 

I'm sure United could've given £1M themselves and since City's wealth is as bottomless as the hole in the ground that they pump it out of £10M or even £100M would be buttons to them.

Pretty pathetic really given the amount they pay out to their squads. Manchester United's wage bill of £203 million per year is the second biggest wage bill in the country followed by Manchester City's of £193.8 million.

And they manage £1m between them.

An Watcher

Thought the same myself.  Surely they could have managed a million each.  Peanuts to them

dclane

Quote from: An Watcher on May 27, 2017, 08:25:18 PM
Thought the same myself.  Surely they could have managed a million each.  Peanuts to them
How much did you donate?