Refugees

Started by Mayo4Sam14, September 03, 2015, 04:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Declan on September 09, 2015, 08:51:53 AM
Sean Defoe ‏@SeanDefoe  ยท 28m28 minutes ago 
"Have we forgotten why there are more O'Neills and Murphys living in the US than in Ireland?" asks Jean-Claude Juncker #SOTEU

I find that extremely offensive.

Back then the Irish were forced to hand over all of their wealth to foreign landowners who had accumulated massive debts building up their large tracts of land in Ireland. Much like the bank bailout really. The most generous of the landlords paid for them to go on coffin ships, just to get rid of them.

I want to see Ireland do its bit, but I find this lecturing from Europe extremely tiresome. Remember this week the ECB has given the two fingers to our inquiry into the bank collapse. They claim they are not subject to our laws.

So we haven't forgotten Jean-Claude. But you have.

MWWSI 2017

Esmarelda

It's great to see such intelligent responses on this thread. I've been on many a website over the last few days and what this sorry episode highlights for me is the level of ignorance, sectarianism and outright inhumanity that's present both here and in the UK.

All the best to Give Her Dixie on his trip.

This isn't a black and white issue for any government in Europe but a willingness to help and empathise is a starting point.

I'm not hearing much noise for the U.S. either.

AZOffaly

Some of the stuff I've seen in comments sections on Facebook etc would make you sad. I saw some lad up in Belfast was having a vigil or something, and responses were just heartless, ignorant and inflammatory. And remember on Facebook it's your real name 90% of the time. They seemed to be proud of what they were saying.

general_lee

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0910/726850-govt-to-meet-to-discuss-refugees/

Accepting 4,000 refugees. I'm sure we could and should be taking more.

finbar o tool

if they were all genuine cases of being bombed out of their country and left with absolutely nothing, then yes, bring in a few and look after them for a while. but my problem is i simply don't believe ALL of these "refugees" are in fact refugees. its like a snowball that started in Syria and they've picked up lots of other migrants etc on the way across Europe, add in to the equation that back in February ISIS stated they would infiltrate Europe in disguise of refugees/migrants and "Europe wont know what hit it". is it really that far fetched to think that they would do something like that?? i certainly don't think so.
in a nut shell, we have no clue who we are letting into our country or what they're motives are apart from the few genuine cases.
why is it mostly well dressed, well built, clean shaven men flooding in? why are they not staying behind to fight for their country?
anyone look at Vincent Browne the other night on our own homeless crisis? how can you say 'yea lets help thousands of people from some other far away country before we help our own people' after watching that?
as usual we are bending over for the EU. its impossible not to be moved by THAT picture and others, but we as a country are still in recovery mode, we've enough shit to be dealing with here and we should be looking after our own before helping god knows who.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

AZOffaly

The pictures are puzzling alright. God knows I feel sympathy, and feel we should help, families who are in fear of their lives. But these pictures look to be primarily young, healthy men. Where are the women and kids? I heard someone saying they were being left behind so the men could prepare the ground for them, which would be a very natural thing if you are an economic migrant. I did that myself going to America. Went over, got sorted out, girlfriend followed.

But would you leave your wife/children in a war zone? I certainly wouldn't. I would love to know the breakdown of families versus single men or groups of men.

muppet

Quote from: finbar o tool on September 10, 2015, 11:49:49 AM
we've enough shit to be dealing with here and we should be looking after our own before helping god knows who.

Our function throughout history is either to:

a) bicker viciously and pointlessly amongst ourselves;

or

b) be fooled or bullied into transferring any wealth generated here to foreigners;

I'd rather take in loads of refugees. The might teach us something.
MWWSI 2017

ziggysego

A friend of mine's on Facebook posted Roy Chubby's Brown's - "I am an asylum seeker" on his wall. which he captioned - "f**k off home, we're British".

Disgusted with it.
Testing Accessibility

AZOffaly

Quote from: ziggysego on September 10, 2015, 12:46:39 PM
A friend of mine's on Facebook posted Roy Chubby's Brown's - "I am an asylum seeker" on his wall. which he captioned - "f**k off home, we're British".

Disgusted with it.

There is some horrible racist stuff about. A lot of people are frightened by ISIS and the like. I think if ISIS wanted to get cells into Europe, they'd do a slightly better job of hiding themselves.

finbar o tool

Quote from: muppet on September 10, 2015, 12:32:35 PM
we've enough shit to be dealing with here and we should be looking after our own before helping god knows who.

or

b) be fooled or bullied into transferring any wealth generated here to foreigners;

what?!

also, its perfect for ISIS to pretend to be refugees. they aren't going to mingle with the crowd with machetes or bombs strapped to their chests!! they just have to get into countries and start from there. they are certainly evil enough.
but look, im not saying ISIS are invading Europe here but it is a possibility, and not only that but its the simple fact that we dont know who these people are or what their past is.
we have special needs children here in this country who cant get the help they need, cant get a feckin medical card! old people lying in the hallways of hospitals. ordinary families made homeless by greedy banks and landlords. etc etc etc.
am i worried about some folk from Syria having a hard time, no im not, f**k that.

An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

muppet

Quote from: finbar o tool on September 10, 2015, 01:03:02 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 10, 2015, 12:32:35 PM

or

what?!

also, its perfect for ISIS to pretend to be refugees. they aren't going to mingle with the crowd with machetes or bombs strapped to their chests!! they just have to get into countries and start from there. they are certainly evil enough.
but look, im not saying ISIS are invading Europe here but it is a possibility, and not only that but its the simple fact that we dont know who these people are or what their past is.
we have special needs children here in this country who cant get the help they need, cant get a feckin medical card! old people lying in the hallways of hospitals. ordinary families made homeless by greedy banks and landlords. etc etc etc.
am i worried about some folk from Syria having a hard time, no im not, f**k that.

Good man.

ISIS is coming to get you.

Can you give us any evidence at all that ISIS wants to invade us in Ireland, or has attempted to do anything remotely connected to invading us?
MWWSI 2017

guy crouchback

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 10, 2015, 11:53:17 AM
The pictures are puzzling alright. God knows I feel sympathy, and feel we should help, families who are in fear of their lives. But these pictures look to be primarily young, healthy men. Where are the women and kids? I heard someone saying they were being left behind so the men could prepare the ground for them, which would be a very natural thing if you are an economic migrant. I did that myself going to America. Went over, got sorted out, girlfriend followed.

But would you leave your wife/children in a war zone? I certainly wouldn't. I would love to know the breakdown of families versus single men or groups of men.

there was a syrian man on marian finucane last Saturday, he had been a maths teacher and farmer. he fled Syria with his wife and kids and went through Lebanon. he left his wife and kids in a refugee camp there i think ( or possibly turkey) and carried on himself across the med into Greece and eventually to Ireland (people traffickers). when granted asylum here he then sent for his wife and kids who are now in ireland with him.

so it seemed people firstly try and get the family out of syria and then if they can leave them somewhere out of the immediate line of fire carry on alone and hope to get sorted out so they can send for them. this requires a certain amount of funds that not all will have  so others have  to travel as family.

that's what i got from his story anyway.

macdanger2

I hope you're on the WUM finbar

And if you propose not accepting refugees, then what do you propose Europe does??

It is worth noting though that the people that are coming here are mainly the better-off Syrians / Eritreans / AN other - the poorer ones simply connot afford to pay the smugglers and are left behind. Most have sold whatever they had to make the journey.

muppet

Quote from: guy crouchback on September 10, 2015, 01:14:44 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 10, 2015, 11:53:17 AM

there was a syrian man on marian finucane last Saturday, he had been a maths teacher and farmer. he fled Syria with his wife and kids and went through Lebanon. he left his wife and kids in a refugee camp there i think ( or possibly turkey) and carried on himself across the med into Greece and eventually to Ireland (people traffickers). when granted asylum here he then sent for his wife and kids who are now in ireland with him.

so it seemed people firstly try and get the family out of syria and then if they can leave them somewhere out of the immediate line of fire carry on alone and hope to get sorted out so they can send for them. this requires a certain amount of funds that not all will have  so others have  to travel as family.

that's what i got from his story anyway.

A kid at my son's school has a father from Syria and a mother from Lebanon. The Dad works in IT and the mother also works. The mother helps out at coaching camogie and U-7s football for the local GAA club. They contribute far more to our society than some of our countrymen.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

That would make sense guy. (Muppet, I'm not sure why you introduced that anecdote, I'm not suggesting we don't help the needy, and I'm sure they'll be additions to society). But then wouldn't that suggest the refugee camps in Turkey etc would be full of women and children as the men go to Hungary or wherever. I'm not seeing that in the pictures. It looks like at least 75% of the people are young men.