Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperSub

I always wondered why do Northern Ireland wear Green as their home colours?
If their flag is red and white and Green is the supposed colour of Catholicism why to Northern Ireland wear Green?

Rossfan

Presumably because the IFA is the original Irish Soccer body and like their Rugby counterparts , despite being Protestant/Unionist dominated bodies when they started out(cue Tony "they still are" :D) picked green for their jerseys it being always the colour of Ireland.
Then again it might have been to upset the Orange Order  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Solomon Kane

Quote from: Rossfan on September 07, 2007, 08:26:52 PM
Presumably because the IFA is the original Irish Soccer body and like their Rugby counterparts , despite being Protestant/Unionist dominated bodies when they started out(cue Tony "they still are" :D) picked green for their jerseys it being always the colour of Ireland.

They actually wore blue at the start, as did the ROI team. They changed to suit the Jocks.

SuperSub

Quote from: Solomon Kane on September 07, 2007, 10:49:42 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 07, 2007, 08:26:52 PM

They actually wore blue at the start, as did the ROI team. They changed to suit the Jocks.

But why Green?

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: SuperSub on September 07, 2007, 07:58:08 PM
I always wondered why do Northern Ireland wear Green as their home colours?
If their flag is red and white and Green is the supposed colour of Catholicism why to Northern Ireland wear Green?
Let's be real about this.. the name Northern Ireland was something that - I believe - only came about - in football terms - in the 1950s - the North were always "Ireland" in the Home internationals etc while the South were Eire - 1949 Eire 2 England 0 (their first defeat against Johnny Foreigner!) - God bless the Newsletter for perpetrating this shite until today! ...There was for the North no problem with Green jerseys ,,, Celtic crosses on the jersey ... so the Troubles changed all that and now the Windsor rabble are a bit pished off with this legacy..but think about this: the red and white red hand flag is total nonsense. That flag has been obselete since 1972 when Stormomt was disbanded.Lets be real to all those loyal fans.. Linfield, Glens etc, Irish League and Irish Cup? ... crisis of identity I think .. ask Wales and Scotland if 'The Queen' would be appropriate as an anthem... ? Nah! Also Irish Whiskey from Bushmills? Dont see much Irish tolerance there, but the old Paddy Whackery sells in Japan and keeps the loyal men in jobs ... Discuss!

red hander

I see the self-proclaimed best supporters in Europe - the 'famous' green and white army - kicked off in Riga last night.  7 arrests, loads of on the spot fines etc.  Seems some of the scum element allegedly driven from windsor park by the new all-embracing IFA prefer to be at their work away from home

Solomon Kane

SuperSub

Quote from: Solomon Kane on September 08, 2007, 11:18:03 AM
Quote from: red hander on September 08, 2007, 10:59:52 AM
I see the self-proclaimed best supporters in Europe - the 'famous' green and white army -

Nothing self-proclaimed about them.   

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/5279132.stm

Why wear Green though Solomon? It must sicken you that your beloved Northern Ireland wear the "Catholic" colours? And also have a Celtic cross on their crest

GalwayBayBoy

Looks like the jolly craicsters ;) were busy beating several shades of shite out of the locals and each other in Riga.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Jorgen Johansson

RIGA, Sept 8 (Reuters) - Security will be stepped up for Saturday's Euro 2008 qualifier between Latvia and Northern Ireland after six fans were arrested for fighting in Riga on Friday night, police said.

"Around midnight several fights broke out leading to the arrest of six people, one of them being Latvian," police spokesman Edgars Dudko told Reuters.

Police added that several fans seemed to be suffering from hangovers on Saturday and had occupied a few bars around the Skonto stadium ahead of the scheduled 1930 (local time) kickoff.

"We will intensify our efforts tonight and try to keep the worst drunks out of the stadium and hope things will be more safe," Dudko said.

Second-placed Northern Ireland trail Group F leaders Sweden by two points after seven matches. Latvia are bottom with three points.

SuperSub

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 08, 2007, 01:42:22 PM
Looks like the jolly craicsters ;) were busy beating several shades of shite out of the locals and each other in Riga.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Jorgen Johansson

RIGA, Sept 8 (Reuters) - Security will be stepped up for Saturday's Euro 2008 qualifier between Latvia and Northern Ireland after six fans were arrested for fighting in Riga on Friday night, police said.

"Around midnight several fights broke out leading to the arrest of six people, one of them being Latvian," police spokesman Edgars Dudko told Reuters.

Police added that several fans seemed to be suffering from hangovers on Saturday and had occupied a few bars around the Skonto stadium ahead of the scheduled 1930 (local time) kickoff.

"We will intensify our efforts tonight and try to keep the worst drunks out of the stadium and hope things will be more safe," Dudko said.

Second-placed Northern Ireland trail Group F leaders Sweden by two points after seven matches. Latvia are bottom with three points.

Best fans in the world alright :D

Solomon Kane

Quote from: SuperSub on September 08, 2007, 12:51:44 PM
Quote from: Solomon Kane on September 08, 2007, 11:18:03 AM
Quote from: red hander on September 08, 2007, 10:59:52 AM
I see the self-proclaimed best supporters in Europe - the 'famous' green and white army -

Nothing self-proclaimed about them.   

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/5279132.stm

Why wear Green though Solomon? It must sicken you that your beloved Northern Ireland wear the "Catholic" colours? And also have a Celtic cross on their crest

You've lost me here. I once had a green car. Was it a catholic car? How the hell can a colour have a religion? Does it "sicken" you that the ROI flag has orange in it? Is orange a protestant colour? Are goldfish protestants? Are Orange mobile phones protestant?

SuperSub

Ah your going way over board.. ::)
I just think it's ironic that the Northern Ireland soccer team wear Green.Especially as the type of fans that ye have thats all and everything they think they believe in..Green is the colour that is most assoisiated with Catholics....And with your shower being all British and Prody and your flag being Red and White and all that i just wondered why your soccer team wear green and have a Celtic cross on their crest

Solomon Kane

Quote from: SuperSub on September 08, 2007, 02:02:22 PM
And with your shower being all British and Prody and your flag being Red and White and all that i just wondered why your soccer team wear green and have a Celtic cross on their crest

That speaks volumes for you SuperSub. Do you think that maybe some of these proddy Brits think of theselves as Irish as well as British? People can be one, the other or both. After all, one component of the UK flag is St Patricks cross. A bit like being Scottish and British. Some of the older "Proddy" churches have Celtic crosses on headstones in the graveyard. As for the colour of the flag being the same as the teams strip I presume that is because the team unusually predates the state and the people involved wanted to preserve their heritage. To be honest I don't give a lot of thought to symbolism.

SuperSub

Still think it's ironic that some fans of Northern Ireland who are also die hard Rangers fans have no problem wearing a green jersey and a celtic cross across their chest..I find it quite funny actually  :D :D :D

Solomon Kane

Quote from: SuperSub on September 08, 2007, 02:27:47 PM
Still think it's ironic that some fans of Northern Ireland who are also die hard Rangers fans have no problem wearing a green jersey and a celtic cross across their chest..I find it quite funny actually  :D :D :D

A fair point. I actually find it funny that anyone supports Rangers. They're shite.