1st news story you remember from tv as a child.

Started by Boycey, November 27, 2017, 05:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

The Dublin bombings in 1974, so I'd have been around six. It was a much different time and information would have been sketchy at best. I think they were breaking into the tv schelude every now and then with updates. I remember worried faces in my house, my father had 2 brothers in the Civil Service in Dublin and I found out years later that he knew that they'd get their buses home in Parnell St. Every so often he'd go out to the hall to make a phone call to ring and see was there any news.

It was terrifying to a young lad like me that didn't really understand what was happening..

Therealdonald

Drumcree around 1998 or so. Whenever the 3 young lads died in the petrol bomb attack on their house. I remember it well because the 3 boys in our house were all the same age as them young lads.

J70

Think the first news story I would have been aware of would have been the death of Mountbatten at Mullaghmore. Remember the auld fella (not a fan of the royals!) also remarking on how there was so little coverage, by comparison, of the murder of all the British soldiers at Warrenpoint the same day.

foxcommander

Quote from: Syferus on November 27, 2017, 05:53:10 PM
USA 94. Old man.

From this piece of information it's no wonder you can recant your best stories about the northern situation based on your first hand experience.

Good grief.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Therealdonald

Quote from: J70 on November 27, 2017, 05:59:38 PM
Think the first news story I would have been aware of would have been the death of Mountbatten at Mullaghmore. Remember the auld fella (not a fan of the royals!) also remarking on how there was so little coverage, by comparison, of the murder of all the British soldiers at Warrenpoint the same day.

Wasn't there a rhyme associated with both of these???? :o

Gabriel_Hurl

The capsizing of the Herald of Free Enterprise in Zeebrugge, Belgium

J70

Quote from: Therealdonald on November 27, 2017, 06:04:18 PM

No idea.

While I grew up less than ten miles from the border as the crow flies, it was on the Donegal side in an area where there no (legal) crossings for miles. Might as well have been 100 miles away for the all the day to day interaction we had with the north.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jim Bob

Quote from: Therealdonald on November 27, 2017, 06:04:18 PM

Yea. Some lowlives thought they were entertaining and enjoyed singing them !

OgraAnDun

9/11, can remember someone calling at the house and askinh  had we seen the news and switching it on. Was in my cousin's house later glued to the TV but not old enough to really comprehend the magnitude of the event.

T Fearon

An Watcher

I remember the boat sinking at Zeebrugee in Belgium one Sat morn.  Must google to see what year it was.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.