Positive proposals at last to address the spectacle of Gaelic Football

Started by APM, October 02, 2018, 04:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: westbound on October 04, 2018, 03:48:28 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on October 04, 2018, 01:03:17 PM
I like the fact that the GAA realizes that change is needed and that they are trying to cut out some of the strategies that have poisoned the game recently.  I am looking forward to see how this works out, feel however they missed 2 more significant proposals namely:

1). No passing the ball back past the half way line when inside opponents half - this is sickening to watch.

2). Limiting the number of defenders in your own half, I have suggested that each team must have a minimum of 4 Players (ex goalies) in both halves of the field at all times...  This would hopefully reduce the blanket defense borefest that many games have become.

This is the first year that I have lost interest in football and it's not because of Dublin's domination, it's because of the lack of entertainment on display - it's win at all costs and more managers have been drinking Hartes "we're not here to entertain the fans" magic elixir.

Something has to be done, sports psychologists, specialized coaches and s&c coaches have produced better athletes which ironically has let to less enjoyment.

This!

I think one rule like this would solve a lot of the other 'problems' in the game. No need for 5 rule changes just one good rule change would solve a lot.

I'm not saying that sligoman's rule is the utopian proposal but it is certainly a better draft proposal than a lot of others.

The difficulty with this type of rule is actually enforcing it (i.e. who is going to be watching to ensure that 4 players staying in the opposing 45 when the game is at the far of the pitch?).

As an alternative, I suggest the following:
At kick-outs, the 6 forwards on both teams must be inside the 45 (i.e. in their respective attacking 45). All other players can go whenever they like.
The punishment would be as follows:
- if the team taking the kick out does not have it's 6 forwards in place then the ball is thrown up on the 20metre line (same punishment as currently in place for the goal-keeper taking too long on a kickout)
- if the team defending the kick out doens't have it's 6 players in place when the kick out is taken, the attacking team get a free from where the ball lands (or can play on if more advantageous).

The Pros:
- Keeper (or at least his team) can still dictate the pace of the kickout (i.e. don't have to wait for 30 players to take up positions)
- Should encourage long kick outs to midfield as the 6 forwards will be pushed up on the defenders (probably)
- Whoever gains possession in midfield will have a max of 8 defenders between them and the goal, which should hopefully encourage fast ball into the forwards
- Relatively straightforward to police as the referee just needs to glance around to check there are 6 guys in opposition 45. It's much easier to police than something similar during open play.

The Cons:
- Could lead to a situation where there are 2/3 players lined up on each 45 to run towards their own defence as soon as the kick out is kicked. I.e. teams might still be willing to give up the kick out to get bodies back to pack the defense. However, a good long kick-out, then a mark and another long kick forward would have the ball into the forwards long before the extra defenders get back.
- Possible issue towards the end of a game where a team is chasing a game and are willing to take a risk by putting extra men forward and leaving the 6 forwards unmarked inside the 45. If the team chasing the game wins possession they would immediately have a 14 V 9 overlap. [I think this is the biggest flaw with the proposal] Whilst this is possible to occur at any time during the game I don't think it would ever happen except when a team is chasing a game in the last couple of minutes because the risk is too great (i.e. leaving 6 forwards unmarked inside your 45).
- it doesn't stop teams from getting 15 men behind the ball during open play [However, I believe it encourages teams to keep players up the field]

I'm sure people will ridicule my proposal but think about it before doing so.

Nobody needs to count the 4 players who need to stay in their own half. Each team has 4 designated forwards who must stay in the attacking half of the pitch and 4 defenders who must stay in the defensive half. Those players have a large F for forward or D for defender on the front and back of the jerseys so the ref can see when they cros the halfway. No counting required and easy to referee at all levels of the game. This would transform the game as no team could have more than 10 outfield players in their own half. The other players can go anywhere on the pitch.

From the Bunker

Some of the ideas being put on here is like a reading a Monty Python sketch.

Next we'll be introducing Dodge Ball rules!

Rossfan

Mark out 14 areas of the pitch.
2 opponents must at all times stay in each area.
Ball can only be kicked from one square to another.
Each player to wear a big number on his jersey to correspond to his designated area.
(Better put a  ;D for the Northern bucks.)

Isnt that where we started apart from the 14 marked areas......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

delgany

twohands!!!

Quote from: timmyot501 on October 04, 2018, 12:30:43 PM
The tackle is a major issue in matches at all levels

A forward gets the ball, swamped upon by 3 (or more) defenders, can't get out so free against.  How many times in the same game would the same happen at the other end of the field and it's a free in.  This frustrates players, management and supporters and the thing escalates from there.  I think limiting the number of tacklers to 2 at least gives the forward a chance.  Third man in and its a free in.

I think this is a great idea - it gives more of an advantage to the player in possession and it makes the blanket defence less effective.

Under the current rules, all the defenders have to do to force a turn-over is surround a player and as long as they don't commit a foul, the player in possession will be blown for over-carrying unless they can somehow get a pass away through the gaps - the proposed 3 hand pass rule will make it even easier for defenders/harder for the player in possession as there will be occasions where the player in possession won't have the option of using a hand-pass and will have to try and somehow kick-pass it.

omaghjoe

Quote from: twohands!!! on October 04, 2018, 06:40:36 PM
Quote from: timmyot501 on October 04, 2018, 12:30:43 PM
The tackle is a major issue in matches at all levels

A forward gets the ball, swamped upon by 3 (or more) defenders, can't get out so free against.  How many times in the same game would the same happen at the other end of the field and it's a free in.  This frustrates players, management and supporters and the thing escalates from there.  I think limiting the number of tacklers to 2 at least gives the forward a chance.  Third man in and its a free in.

I think this is a great idea - it gives more of an advantage to the player in possession and it makes the blanket defence less effective.

Under the current rules, all the defenders have to do to force a turn-over is surround a player and as long as they don't commit a foul, the player in possession will be blown for over-carrying unless they can somehow get a pass away through the gaps - the proposed 3 hand pass rule will make it even easier for defenders/harder for the player in possession as there will be occasions where the player in possession won't have the option of using a hand-pass and will have to try and somehow kick-pass it.

I agree to an extent esp regarding limiting the hand-passes

But how do you limit the number of "tacklers?" Would there be an exclusion zone around a player of a yard or something?

Also what if the possession player moves towards defender should he then get out of the way?

What would happen close to goals? Should it only be applicable outside the D?

All gets very complicated putting officials under pressure but would be worth an experiment to see what happens

BennyCake

The idea of four players in own half only creates more work for officials. Reduce teams to 11 a side and you'll have the same numbers back in defence (even if all players are back). Those extra four players will be easy to keep track of by officials, as they'll be on the bench!

lenny

Quote from: BennyCake on October 04, 2018, 07:02:29 PM
The idea of four players in own half only creates more work for officials. Reduce teams to 11 a side and you'll have the same numbers back in defence (even if all players are back). Those extra four players will be easy to keep track of by officials, as they'll be on the bench!

11 a side and nobody allowed to handle the ball bar the keeper. Oh and shorten the pitch by 50yards.

dec

Quote from: lenny on October 04, 2018, 07:21:11 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 04, 2018, 07:02:29 PM

11 a side and nobody allowed to handle the ball bar the keeper. Oh and shorten the pitch by 50yards.

And get rid of those stupid bits that stick out the top of the goals

BennyCake

redzone

Quote from: lenny on October 04, 2018, 05:44:09 PM
I like the fact that the GAA realizes that change is needed and that they are trying to cut out some of the strategies that have poisoned the game recently.  I am looking forward to see how this works out, feel however they missed 2 more significant proposals namely:

1). No passing the ball back past the half way line when inside opponents half - this is sickening to watch.

2). Limiting the number of defenders in your own half, I have suggested that each team must have a minimum of 4 Players (ex goalies) in both halves of the field at all times...  This would hopefully reduce the blanket defense borefest that many games have become.

This is the first year that I have lost interest in football and it's not because of Dublin's domination, it's because of the lack of entertainment on display - it's win at all costs and more managers have been drinking Hartes "we're not here to entertain the fans" magic elixir.

Something has to be done, sports psychologists, specialized coaches and s&c coaches have produced better athletes which ironically has let to less enjoyment.

This!

I think one rule like this would solve a lot of the other 'problems' in the game. No need for 5 rule changes just one good rule change would solve a lot.

I'm not saying that sligoman's rule is the utopian proposal but it is certainly a better draft proposal than a lot of others.

The difficulty with this type of rule is actually enforcing it (i.e. who is going to be watching to ensure that 4 players staying in the opposing 45 when the game is at the far of the pitch?).

At kick-outs, the 6 forwards on both teams must be inside the 45 (i.e. in their respective attacking 45). All other players can go whenever they like.
- if the team taking the kick out does not have it's 6 forwards in place then the ball is thrown up on the 20metre line (same punishment as currently in place for the goal-keeper taking too long on a kickout)
- if the team defending the kick out doens't have it's 6 players in place when the kick out is taken, the attacking team get a free from where the ball lands (or can play on if more advantageous).

The Pros:
- Keeper (or at least his team) can still dictate the pace of the kickout (i.e. don't have to wait for 30 players to take up positions)
- Should encourage long kick outs to midfield as the 6 forwards will be pushed up on the defenders (probably)
- Whoever gains possession in midfield will have a max of 8 defenders between them and the goal, which should hopefully encourage fast ball into the forwards
- Relatively straightforward to police as the referee just needs to glance around to check there are 6 guys in opposition 45. It's much easier to police than something similar during open play.

The Cons:
- Could lead to a situation where there are 2/3 players lined up on each 45 to run towards their own defence as soon as the kick out is kicked. I.e. teams might still be willing to give up the kick out to get bodies back to pack the defense. However, a good long kick-out, then a mark and another long kick forward would have the ball into the forwards long before the extra defenders get back.
- Possible issue towards the end of a game where a team is chasing a game and are willing to take a risk by putting extra men forward and leaving the 6 forwards unmarked inside the 45. If the team chasing the game wins possession they would immediately have a 14 V 9 overlap. [I think this is the biggest flaw with the proposal] Whilst this is possible to occur at any time during the game I don't think it would ever happen except when a team is chasing a game in the last couple of minutes because the risk is too great (i.e. leaving 6 forwards unmarked inside your 45).
- it doesn't stop teams from getting 15 men behind the ball during open play [However, I believe it encourages teams to keep players up the field]

Nobody needs to count the 4 players who need to stay in their own half. Each team has 4 designated forwards who must stay in the attacking half of the pitch and 4 defenders who must stay in the defensive half. Those players have a large F for forward or D for defender on the front and back of the jerseys so the ref can see when they cros the halfway. No counting required and easy to referee at all levels of the game. This would transform the game as no team could have more than 10 outfield players in their own half. The other players can go anywhere on the pitch.

The more you read it the more funny it is. Talk about being daft. Christ

BennyHarp

Quote from: redzone on October 04, 2018, 07:49:07 PM

This!

The Pros:

The Cons:

Classic Lennyism. He's the funniest poster on here by a country mile.
That was never a square ball!!

lenny

Quote from: BennyHarp on October 04, 2018, 08:26:07 PM

This!

The Pros:

The Cons:

I'll wait to see what other counties supporters think. I know tyrone fans won't be happy that they can't get all 15 players back within 40 yards of their own goals. Having to keep 4 players up the pitch might just liberate tyrone though and make them watchable.

mrdeeds

Quote from: lenny on October 04, 2018, 08:57:04 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on October 04, 2018, 08:26:07 PM

This!

The Pros:

The Cons:

I'll wait to see what other counties supporters think. I know tyrone fans won't be happy that they can't get all 15 players back within 40 yards of their own goals. Having to keep 4 players up the pitch might just liberate tyrone though and make them watchable.

Did you watch Tyrone this year???? Their tactics weren't even close to this. But the same narrative. I'm not from Tyrone.

LeoMc

This!

The Pros:

The Cons:

It is better than the "only midfielders between the 45s" proposal as it cuts down the space to keep some element of competition at kick outs.