Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downgirl

I got this adaptor thing for the cigarette lighter so you can have 2 things plugged in at once.  Was going grand until I stopped for petrol, when I started the car again it was working then not working so I tried to push it in further and I think I broke it, and when I was doing that the radio went off and I can't get it back on...is it just I have fused it???

Tyrones own

Yes you have blown a fuse, though the radio and cig lighter aren't usually on the same circuit
but that's where I'd start.
P.S what ever it is your running or are charging is too much load for the circuit so when you do find
the blown fuse go with one a little heavier to prevent it happening again.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

downgirl

Thanks TO...was running the iPod and Sat nav at the same time so maybe that's why.  Can you do the fuse yourself or should I bring it to a car electrics place?

Tyrones own

No Just do it yourself... simple fix, just google the fuse box location for your particular car
then the location of the Cig lighter fuse or look in the owners manual if you have it.
There's possibly a spare fuse or two in the fuse box cover also.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

comethekingdom

Be careful not to put put in a fuse with too high a rating or you could draw too much current and have a melt down. If the manufacturer meant more of a load could be drawn on that particular circuit he would have fused it for it!

Hardy

NEVER replace a fuse with one of higher rating.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: comethekingdom on January 04, 2009, 09:43:21 PM
Be careful not to put put in a fuse with too high a rating or you could draw too much current and have a melt down. If the manufacturer meant more of a load could be drawn on that particular circuit he would have fused it for it!

Sound advice
You'll Never Walk Alone.

supersarsfields

Down girl hope you don't mind me ambushing you thread but was looking for a bit of help. Driving a Mondeo about 5 year old. Went to start it today and when i turn the key in the ignition there is a high pitch whirling noise but there is no attempt by the engine to turn over. The battery light is on but the radio etc are all still working grand. Would this be a battery problem or an ignition problem?

All help would be greatly appreciated!!

downgirl

No you are grand ambush away!

That actually happened to me with my old car and it was the battery was dead, even though the lights, radio etc were still working.  Had to get a wee AA man to come out and help me!!  :D

Rois

Strange that two girls are replying to you Supersarsfields - but I had the same type of problem and it was the battery.

On this note, my neighbour reversed into my car and I'm having major dilemmas at the minute.  How do I get her insurance company to write off my car?  I would love a new one so just want the cash.  I know it's not possible as it's probably termed insurance fraud, but the repairs are going to be pretty hefty.

the Deel Rover

Give lynchboy a pm rois he seems to know a "friend" who is used to such matters  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Rois on January 22, 2009, 03:25:07 PM
Strange that two girls are replying to you Supersarsfields - but I had the same type of problem and it was the battery.

On this note, my neighbour reversed into my car and I'm having major dilemmas at the minute.  How do I get her insurance company to write off my car?  I would love a new one so just want the cash.  I know it's not possible as it's probably termed insurance fraud, but the repairs are going to be pretty hefty.

I'd imagine one way to go about that would be to get a quote where the repairs are more than the car is worth...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Billys Boots

Rois, get the garage to inspect the car for any chassis damage - most insurance companies will accept any damage to the chassis as a write-off.  Where did the collision occur (what part of your car)?  If it wasn't on the bumpers, there's a decent chance that there's some chassis weakening, and a decent garage will confirm it.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

supersarsfields

Quote from: Rois on January 22, 2009, 03:25:07 PM

Aye sure I'm only too happy to get a bit of female attention!!
Think I'll take the battery down to the nearest garage and get them to check it. Hopefully that all it is. The only thing that would worry me is if it is the battery does that my alternator(sp) is dodgy aswell?  

supersarsfields

Rois I work in the insurance trade meself. I would imagine that if he reveresed into you there prob wouldn't be that much damage as he couldn't have been doing a great speed? I would say you would be doing well to get it written of unless it has a very low value. Also when you hear what the Pre accident value you get for the vehicle you might not want it written of. PAV's have dropped massively in the last year.

Course my advise to you would be to get yourself down to Agnews on Boucher and get an estimate of them. And maintain that that's were you want it repaired!!  ;)