Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotto

Quote from: supersub on December 17, 2022, 01:22:33 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on December 15, 2022, 09:00:20 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on December 15, 2022, 02:50:55 PM

Ah lots of teams are doing the exact same. I would be surprised if any team has done more than Derry at this stage, Gallagher has them in the trenches again, mad
Elite athletes train that way, intercounty footballers are elite athletes.
Club football is moving in that direction as well, with players now being as physically fit as county players were 20 years ago. Everyone tries to stay one step ahead and get an advantage. The majority of teams, with the exception of Kilcoo, are well into a SandC winter programme in preparation for the upcoming season. You are miles behind if your club is not doing anything at all. Dundrum is currently putting in a strong preseason effort, but I'd be surprised if they made it out of division 4 next season. And that's not a criticism of the players; it's just a reflection of the four relegated teams' ambition to return. Due to the strong u17s they had this season, Bosco and Attical will be favourites..
If a junior club is training that way then what is a division 1 club doing?

To be honest, much of it is because the coaches don't know shite about coaching skills so instead of upskilling the players just waste their enthusiasm running around beaches.

Looks like their fees are justified to the clubs based on all this training. Yet invariably the teams will stand or fall.... And by that I mean fall... based on their (in)ability to handle or pass a ball.

Anyone who thinks clubs or counties are 'just running' in this day and age need their head checked.

I have to agree there that it is not just running. It's more about running the clean f@@k out of them. Laverty just wants to flog the sh@t out of them, I'd prefer that maybe a ball was involved somewhere as I think we might need it when the season starts.

redandblackareback, as for walking out of Division 3, I think you are very optimistic and simply won't happen because of the players we have on paper.

Smurfy123

Roscommon hammered us by 10 9 months ago
Some turn around
A 25 point swing
Great to hear. Down finally a team making great strides

Ed Hardy

Any idea of the line up from todays game?

Johnnysboys

Anybody know anyone out there with a bit of loyalty to manage a senior club team???

Cuan12

Senior team managers who display loyalty and have the interests of the team/club rather than their c v are in short short supply but I can think of one double act currently available and would be a good fit for any senior team, having won several u 21 titles and being narrowly beaten in a SFC final by Kilcoo.

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: Cuan12 on December 18, 2022, 09:35:32 PM
Senior team managers who display loyalty and have the interests of the team/club rather than their c v are in short short supply but I can think of one double act currently available and would be a good fit for any senior team, having won several u 21 titles and being narrowly beaten in a SFC final by Kilcoo.

Good man Big G. Stick by your buddies even though they bad mouth your club & it's best players.

thewobbler

Quote from: Johnnysboys on December 18, 2022, 08:07:12 PM
Anybody know anyone out there with a bit of loyalty to manage a senior club team???

Loyalty? It's impossible.

Even a strong, established senior team that needs little more than continuity and control, will have a couple of bubbling underbellies. One being younger players (and their vociferous families) who don't have the patience or temperament to play their way into the starting teams. The other being established players who have eyes on travelling or moving (sometimes for the GAA dollar, sometimes just because, you know, there's more to life than kicking a ball).

Our serial champions have found a way to largely control both, for now. But the irony is that if the rest of us can find a way to do the same, then we are no better off... unless we are the only one.

So what use is loyalty? It's a hiding to nothing.

I would blame the travelling circus of senior football managers/ management teams for many of the problems in football. But expecting talented coaches and leaders to invest several years at a club sticking fingers in the dyke, just isn't practical on any level. They're damned when they do, damned but a little financially better off when they don't.

Truth hurts

I was in Molloys earlier and heard that the Magpies are on the lookout for new management. I wonder why there has been no announcement?

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: Truth hurts on December 19, 2022, 05:03:34 PM
I was in Molloys earlier and heard that the Magpies are on the lookout for new management. I wonder why there has been no announcement?

Obviously they were waiting on you breaking the story for them!

KeyboardWarrior645

Quote from: Truth hurts on December 19, 2022, 05:03:34 PM

Laverty and Choc to take over

Link

Burren minors went full kilcoo towards end of the semi final at st paul's yesterday. Subs and all in throwing digs.

Truth hurts

Quote from: Link on December 19, 2022, 09:45:25 PM
Burren minors went full kilcoo towards end of the semi final at st paul's yesterday. Subs and all in throwing digs.

What happened?

Smurfy123

Darren O H officially retires from Down duty

What a player and role model to many

For 5 or 6 years he was brilliant.

A nice debate to have

Would Darren be in Downs top 100 players ever to grace the jersey?

From 1960-2022?

Enjoy retirement Darren

Nanderson

Quote from: Smurfy123 on December 20, 2022, 09:30:37 AM

A nice debate to have

From 1960-2022?

Enjoy retirement Darren
For me Darren was one of the few players in recent memory that probably would start in the 90s teams and and would probably be a good player for even some of the biggest counties as well. He'd definitely start corner back for the dubs 6 in a row team

sdg

Quote from: Nanderson on December 20, 2022, 10:48:00 AM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on December 20, 2022, 09:30:37 AM

A nice debate to have

From 1960-2022?

Enjoy retirement Darren
For me Darren was one of the few players in recent memory that probably would start in the 90s teams and and would probably be a good player for even some of the biggest counties as well. He'd definitely start corner back for the dubs 6 in a row team

Catch yourself on he wouldn't get near the Dubs 6 in a row 15,