Muineacháin v An Dún 5ú Meitheamh Ulster GAA Football Senior Championship

Started by babarino, May 11, 2016, 10:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schkite

Quote from: Mourne Rover on June 01, 2016, 09:43:33 PM
Paddy Power's first/last goalscorer odds for Sunday will be based on a combination of research and insider information. They suggest that we will be starting with O'Hare and Barry O'Hagan in the full forward line, with Poland and Murphy behind them, McKernan and Conall McGovern in sweeper roles and Turley and Brown at midfield.  We cannot be certain that they are on the right track, but it is fairly close to the line-up we might have expected. The PP list also includes Carr and O'Hanlon, who were always likely for the half backs. We can be fairly sure that Kane will be in goals, Gerard McGovern and Darren O'Hagan will be in front of him and McArdle should be there somewhere. That leaves one final defensive slot, which could go in a number of directions depending on Howard's fitness. It's all speculation of course and Burns might like to throw in a couple of surprises along the way.

Don't PP just go on the last teamsheet for their goalscorer odds? That seems to be the case for Monaghan anyway. For example I wouldn't be surprised to see Barry McGinn start on Sunday but he's not included in the odds.

Mourne Rover

The PP list is not based on Down's last league game, as they have included Murphy and O'Hagan, who were previously on the bench, and omitted Mallon and Dornan, who started, so they must have some reason to believe that changes are on the way. However, it is all just guesswork at this stage.

macdanger2

Those PP bets are void if the player doesn't start so I wouldn't read too much into them in terms of likely starters

Brick Tamlin

Soooooooooo we are looking at the bookies websites now to try and second guess the starting line-up for sunday.
Really?

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 01, 2016, 07:55:52 PM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 01, 2016, 05:39:39 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 01, 2016, 03:40:39 PM
Quote from: A man from Down on June 01, 2016, 01:10:19 PM
No the Athletic Grounds in Armagh

That's right. The escape from Armagh.

That was a sore day from a Monaghan perspective, ye were 9 points down at half-time if I remember correctly.. Laverty was absolutely everywhere and on fire!

It was also Eamonn McEnaney's last Ulster Championship game as manager, which wasn't a bad thing in most peoples opinion..

9 points up after some absolutely criminal refereeing decisions.

Freeman's 'questionable' goal from the quickly taken free is the only one I can think of, but you'd hardly expect me to remember them..  ;)

twohands!!!

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 02, 2016, 08:39:34 AM
Soooooooooo we are looking at the bookies websites now to try and second guess the starting line-up for sunday.
Really?

As someone who keeps an eye on GAA markets with Paddypower I definitely wouldn't be relying on them in terms of a likely team.

Pretty sure I saw some player who was out with a long-term injury down among the goal-scorers last year or the year before.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 02, 2016, 09:49:06 AM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 01, 2016, 07:55:52 PM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 01, 2016, 05:39:39 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 01, 2016, 03:40:39 PM
Quote from: A man from Down on June 01, 2016, 01:10:19 PM
No the Athletic Grounds in Armagh

That's right. The escape from Armagh.

That was a sore day from a Monaghan perspective, ye were 9 points down at half-time if I remember correctly.. Laverty was absolutely everywhere and on fire!

It was also Eamonn McEnaney's last Ulster Championship game as manager, which wasn't a bad thing in most peoples opinion..

9 points up after some absolutely criminal refereeing decisions.

Freeman's 'questionable' goal from the quickly taken free is the only one I can think of, but you'd hardly expect me to remember them..  ;)

I found the highlights on Youtube and going by them you are spot on, I had it in my head that there was more than that though....

Mourne Rover

Michael Duffy created some kind of record by making three mistakes in the course of a single decision for the Freeman goal. He subsequently apologised for calling McArdle over to caution him and then allowing a free to be taken quickly while the defender was out of position. However, the kick was also taken from the wrong place and then directed to Freeman who was standing too close to the ball. It was all so ludicrous that Down were spurred on to a late comeback win. However, in fairness, Monaghan should have had the game wrapped up long before the Freeman goal. Laverty's brilliance and springing Benny from the bench when he was still recovering from a serious injury turned the match for Down.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=172051

Schkite

Monaghan team named:

1. Rory Beggan (Scotstown)
2. Colin Walshe (Doohamlet)
3. Drew Wylie (Ballybay)
4. Ryan Wylie (Ballybay)
5. Dessie Mone (Clontibret)
6. Vinny Corey (Clontibret)
7. Karl O’Connell (Tyholland)
8. Neil McAdam (Monaghan Harps)
9. Kieran Hughes (Scotstown)
10. Shane Carey (Scotstown)
11. Dermot Malone (Castleblayney)
12. Ryan McAnespie (Emyvale)
13. Owen Duffy (Latton)
14. Darren Hughes (Scotstown)
15. Conor McManus (Clontibret)

Nothing unusual there. But of course there's often a change or two before throw in, I'd like to see someone like McKenna or McGinn(if he's recovered from his injury) in place of Carey.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Sleater

Fintan Kelly getting dropped was on the cards. His league form was mediocre. The surprise will be if the team lines up as named as O'Rourke usually makes at least one change. McGinn not on the squad is disappointing as he's ready made for the centre forward spot but he's probably a week or two of being match ready with his shoulder injury (it's a re occurrence of one he did a couple of years ago).I'd like to see McCarthy starting. Intelligent on the ball, accurate and that rare mix of flair and workrate, McCarthy is ready. Darren hughes should  play out the field, not at FF. The experiment during the league at FF didn't work. It's one thing Hughes being effective there at club level but a different story at county level. Overall it's an experienced team and bench. Jap hopefully to play a part as he's in superb form at the minute, he looks totally revitalised.

timmyot501

Its a safety first type of team from O'Rourke by the looks of it.  One decent defender was going to miss out if Dessie wasn't a half forward and looks like Kelly is the one. He had a quiet enough league compared to the last few years but don't be surprised if he is a late inclusion.  I would start Darren at Full Forward.  I still think it might work if he has help up there with him.  Some league games left him totally isolated and when he won the ball he had no options at all.  Keep McManus right up there at all times with him, and play proper ball in and give him a chance to compete for the ball.  Looking forward to it.

Boycey

ardtole

I think darren hughes would be a real handful for our fb line, ive a feeling he will start in there and try and put us under pressure from the start.

GrandMasterFlash

Happy enough with that starting team but also wouldn't be surprised to see a late change or two. The Hughes brothers are interchangeable, I'd expect them to be swapped about in any case, as happens quite a lot with inter-county teams these days.

Strong looking bench too, plenty of experience..

I too would like to see McGinn start, and hope for him that he's not too far off. He was superb in both the U21 Ulster Final and AI semi..

Looking forward to it!