2019 All Ireland Football Qualifiers

Started by Don Draper, June 11, 2019, 02:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recyclebin

Butch Cassidy

:Double header in Thurles with Meath and Clare?

Tony

Quote from: Over the Bar on July 01, 2019, 08:49:26 AM
Total fix!
It was televised. If you think everybody in the studio (10+ people) were paid off, well, you're a simple man really.

Interesting draw. 2 massive games for the neutral and then the Laois Cork game and Meath Clare. I think we're in bonus territory now, really. It's already been a very successful 2019 for Laois and our targets have already been met (and exceeded in my opinion). No idea what will happen in the game but will support the lads no matter what.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Great draw, Cork will be in a bad place after that defeat to Kerry and we are on a high at the moment. I know that won't win it for us but if you look at the league form this year we are very close to each other so any psychological difference between the teams can make the difference.

We also have a few lads to come back and the guys we have are really battling for a starting spot on this team thanks to John's management skills and the way he has brought on young players this year. We can go into this game with nothing to fear and give it a real go with a Super 8 spot the prize at the end of the day..
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Don Draper

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on July 01, 2019, 10:49:44 AM
Great draw, Cork will be in a bad place after that defeat to Kerry and we are on a high at the moment. I know that won't win it for us but if you look at the league form last year we are very close to each other so any psychological difference between the teams can make the difference.
WTF? Surely Cork are on a high after putting it up to a Kerry side who have bent them over repeatedly in recent years?

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: Don Draper on July 01, 2019, 10:51:03 AM
Great draw, Cork will be in a bad place after that defeat to Kerry and we are on a high at the moment. I know that won't win it for us but if you look at the league form last year we are very close to each other so any psychological difference between the teams can make the difference.
WTF? Surely Cork are on a high after putting it up to a Kerry side who have bent them over repeatedly in recent years?

They might be on a high but they still lost a game they could have won. That does things to players heads and, as I said, it's not going to win the game for us but it can make heads drop when the going gets tough. Maybe you're right and we will roll over and give up because they put it up to the mighty Kerry but I don't think so and the form suggests there is very little between us.

From the Terrace

I think its a good draw too we have avoided a Division one team. Cork have had a good Munster Championship, They got relegated out of Division 2. On the match the weekend, serious concerns about our full back, Thought midfield was very good & up front i would like to see O'Carroll start next weekend. O'Loughlin, two Kingstons & Scully stood out for me.

Don Draper

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on July 01, 2019, 10:59:01 AM
Quote from: Don Draper on July 01, 2019, 10:51:03 AM

They might be on a high but they still lost a game they could have won. That does things to players heads and, as I said, it's not going to win the game for us but it can make heads drop when the going gets tough. Maybe you're right and we will roll over and give up because they put it up to the mighty Kerry but I don't think so and the form suggests there is very little between us.
Its as good a draw as we could have hoped for, but if I were one of those Cork players, I'd be feeling very happy with myself coming out of that game. Pride restored. Meath are on a low, Galway are looking to bounce back, Cavan might be a bit down. Cork, they've been relegated, pilloried, decried, that win will restore some confidence.

Its up to us to shatter it once more.

I'm terrified of their pace however.

MasterJ

All the teams who lost provincial finals all probably where hoping for Laois.

Don Draper

Quote from: MasterJ on July 01, 2019, 11:50:40 AM
All the teams who lost provincial finals all probably where hoping for Laois.
No way? They weren't secretly hoping for 2018 All Ireland Finalists Tyrone? Perennial All Ireland Finalists Mayo? Division 2 side Clare?

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: Don Draper on July 01, 2019, 11:12:20 AM
I'm terrified of their pace however.

Totally agree with that, I think this is where we could fail, the speed of some of there lads against Kerry was awesome. That No. 11 will cause us a lot of problems..

Tony

Cork 1/2 to win this one. Can't really argue with that.

BallyroanAbu

I would have Laois slight favorites for this, Cork while a familiar name are not what they once were.  If a good showing in Munster Final makes you a good team over night well fair play but I don't think so.  Laois to win this and qualify for Super 8's BOOM

blueandwhite1

This is exactly where you want to be. We have learned enough about Laois to know that we are very good at beating teams below us but you have to move up a serious notch to be good enough to compete in the Super 8s. Cork ran Kerry very close and will be very confident of beating us. If they do, then in reality we are not ready for the Super 8s. If we beat them, then we will deserve to be in the Super 8s. The likely group that Laois would be in are Dublin, Tyrone and Roscommon (sorry Cavan).

Personally, I thought we looked more than good enough on Saturday to beat Offaly but a long way off the standard that is required. Our defending is only sporadically intense and the speed at which we attack is way off the mark.