Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Dougal Maguire

Careful now

DuffleKing

Mr Crossey aside, i do wonder about the thought processes of people who buy a house to a major sports stadium then are surprised / irate when the stadium is upgraded

drici

Quote from: rrhf on September 30, 2013, 05:31:52 PM

These guys are governed by rules / laws etc.   

Do try to avoid making a large monetary donation to any political party currently in a  'ministerial' position regarding the outcome of the decision.

Oh Dear Oh dear Oh dear

drici

Quote from: DuffleKing on October 02, 2013, 12:06:29 AM

Mr Crossey aside, i do wonder about the thought processes of people who buy a house to a major sports stadium then are surprised / irate when the stadium is upgraded

Don't just attack the people.
Rules say you have to not only take away the integrity of West Belfast volunteer GAA people but also the houses they live in as well.
Are you a proper GAA man or not?

'Designation BT 070 Area of Townscape Character Stockman's Lane/Mooreland Park

An Area of Townscape Character is designated at Stockman's Lane/Mooreland Park as identified on Map No. 4/003 - Belfast City and on clarification Map No. 4/047 – Stockman's Lane/Mooreland Park Area of Townscape Character.

Key features of the area which will be taken into account when assessing development proposals are as follows:-
The Edwardian and Victorian two storey terraced and semi-detached housing of similar size and in single family occupancy. These properties are gable ended with slated double–pitched roofs, with some faced in red clay brick and some with pebbledash (Mooreland Park). They feature lean-to bays on the ground floor and arched gable flues terminated in brick chimneys;
The Art Deco stained glass, which has survived in some of the front room windows of the properties;
The two storey, hipped roof, white semi-detached villas located at the bottom of Stockman's Lane, which are typical of the 1920s/1930s model built widely throughout the city;
"Colin View", at Nos. 177-191 Stockman's Lane, which is a two storey brick terrace and is more rural in nature;
The framed views of the mountains to the west from Mooreland Park and Stockman's Lane, which rise towards the Andersonstown Road;
The front and rear gardens, characteristic of each house, with a variety of front boundaries, including some original ironwork, brick dwarf walls and privet hedges;
The trees at the western end of Mooreland Park; and
The wide asphalt and bitmac streets and footpaths.'

Dougal Maguire

Careful now

DuffleKing

Dont think anyone REALLY doubts that HS. Its about perception i guess. You may think th uc are losing the pr war here but theyre not among the GAA public.

The perception is that the residents want money and are inventing objections and push forward represntatives to perpetuate the whole situation.

drici

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on October 02, 2013, 04:57:00 AM

What in God's name is that about?

snatter would probably have the inside track on that but it does seem from the planners that the townscape/houses have acquired 'rights' according to their rules.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: snoopdog on October 01, 2013, 03:45:30 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 01, 2013, 01:12:41 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 01, 2013, 01:07:46 PM
QuoteWhat's the situation about lowering the stadium? Can't it be done? Wouldn't it solve the residents issues with daylight? I was at Man City's stadium a few years ago, and the pitch is below ground level. Less wind that way too, so it'd be a warmer place to sit, especially in winter.

I was in Casement at the Ulster club final some years ago and the paths around the pitch were flooded. Lowering a pitch involves complex pumps etc.
Spare us the detail.... ;D
the first 20 rows of seats at Old Trafford are under ground level. I would assume Croke Park has something similar, i think it is the norm for most Stadiums

Croke Park pitch would be above the level of the railway, which is above the level of the canal, that runs under the Davin Stand. So I would say that Croke Park is at ground level.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Farrandeelin

How many clubs in Belfast? In comparison to the 'heartlands' of Cavan, Donegal, and West Tyrone.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AQMP

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 08, 2013, 07:29:39 AM
How many clubs in Belfast? In comparison to the 'heartlands' of Cavan, Donegal, and West Tyrone.

There are about 22/23 clubs on the Antrim side of Belfast, approx. 25 if you include the Londondown clubs

Minder

Gaa defends Casement Park development plan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-24998165

The Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) has defended its plan to redevelop its west Belfast stadium in the wake of growing opposition from residents.

The GAA is intending to build a 38,000-seat stadium at its existing sports ground in Casement Park.

The association has said that concerns about traffic disruption and noise pollution will be addressed.

But, at a meeting on Monday night, a group of residents claimed their civil rights were being ignored.

About 200 people attended the residents meeting, at which some said that the proposed new stadium must be stopped.

One resident told the meeting: "We're not opposed to a development of the GAA in this city but we need it to be done to the satisfaction of the residents."

Another man said: "The new Casement Park will have as much relevance to the grassroots GAA in west Belfast as the man in the moon."

A woman from west Belfast told the meeting: "We pay our taxes, we live in Andersonstown and a lot of people that are trying to force it through don't live here."

However, Ryan Feeney from the Ulster Council of the GAA said the residents had been listened to.

He told BBC Radio Ulster's Talkback programme: "We've tried now for the last 16 months to build a level of consensus around the stadium project. There is a wide level of support in the wider west (Belfast) and right across this city for the project."

Mr Feeney added: "I can give a cast-iron assurance we will do our best that (residents') concerns are addressed."

He also said that he hoped planning permission for the new £70m stadium would be granted soon.

The MP for West Belfast, Sinn Féin's Paul Maskey, said the development would create employment in the area and concerns about the road infrastructure could be resolved through dialogue with residents.

Mr Maskey also suggested that a number of people from the local residents association could become members of the Casement Park board.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

armaghniac

QuoteMr Maskey also said that the further you go away from Casement Pk, the more support there is for the stadium.

The further you go away from Casement Pk, the more support there is for the GAA.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

east down gael

Does being opposed to the redevelopment of casement automatically make you anti-gaa?