Eighth Amendment poll

Started by Farrandeelin, May 01, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of repealing the 8th amendment?

Yes
47 (21.8%)
Yes but have no vote
73 (33.8%)
No
40 (18.5%)
No but have no vote
36 (16.7%)
Undecided
20 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 216

Voting closed: May 24, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

whitey

Quote from: sid waddell on May 19, 2018, 09:59:14 PM
I'm surprised that "No" supporters managed to make it halfway up Ben Bulben at all - they much prefer the earth to be flat.

Im surprised the women involved even made it quarter way up, never mind halfway with all the tea and sandwiches they were (supposedly) carting up with them

Syferus

Quote from: TomFun on May 20, 2018, 03:01:15 AM
Quote from: Syferus on May 17, 2018, 10:16:53 PM
I love how fast some here are to judge what any couple does with advances modern science. You'd swear that a healthy baby wasn't something all parents wish to have.

You are a piece of work. sc**bag

This post typifies a lot of the No side.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Syferus on May 20, 2018, 02:03:38 AM
Quote from: mrdeeds on May 20, 2018, 01:35:24 AM
Is anyone going to change a voters view on this? No. Can we all not agree that the extreme on both sides is ridiculous.

The extreme of anything is ridiculous. I don't know what that has to do with this, though. Both sides do not have the same amount of extremists by the looks of things so you'd be well advised not to draw a false equivalence between Yes and No campaigners.

Once again I'm in agreement with Sy here

Since 90%+ of abortions carried on will be on pregnancies from consensual mating and will not be medically necessary, that's what the discussion should be about.... so we should get back to it....

That 90%+ is a straight up weigh up of Mother Choice v Unborn Person's Life

Syferus

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 20, 2018, 04:11:27 AM
Is anyone going to change a voters view on this? No. Can we all not agree that the extreme on both sides is ridiculous.

The extreme of anything is ridiculous. I don't know what that has to do with this, though. Both sides do not have the same amount of extremists by the looks of things so you'd be well advised not to draw a false equivalence between Yes and No campaigners.

Since 90%+ of abortions carried on will be on pregnancies from consensual mating and will not be medically necessary, that's what the discussion should be about.... so we should get back to it....

It's about every single situation wher abortion is needed. Pretending that people should only focus on the one use of abortion is incredibly disingenuous.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Syferus on May 20, 2018, 06:02:11 AM

It's about every single situation wher abortion is needed. Pretending that people should only focus on the one use of abortion is incredibly disingenuous.

Did you not just say that the extremes are ridiculous? I thought by that you wanted to focus on the very similar scenario for the bulk of cases?

TomFun

Quote from: Syferus on May 20, 2018, 03:22:56 AM

I love how fast some here are to judge what any couple does with advances modern science. You'd swear that a healthy baby wasn't something all parents wish to have.

'No Side'. Grow up you twat, this isnt a game with sides. Some people here are parents or brothers-, sisters, grandparents of what you would describe as non 'healthy' babies. Have a bit of cop.

TomFun

By the way I don't care how you vote. Just don't be such a childish dick on here when 'educating' everybody.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: TomFun on May 20, 2018, 07:48:55 AM

'No Side'. Grow up you twat, this isnt a game with sides. Some people here are parents or brothers-, sisters, grandparents of what you would describe as non 'healthy' babies. Have a bit of cop.

A huge plus 1 for this post. As a baby who was extremely sick (and still feel effects to this day) you've let yourself down shitting here Syf with that comment. My parents never complained. In fact they were delighted with any little bit of progress I made. So you Don't speak for all parents. I only dip in and out of here so I only saw your post now since TomFun posted it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

gallsman

Clearly a sensitive issue, and there are posters on the board who are parents of kids with Down's Syndrome and other serious illnesses, but people are clearly being morons about the "healthy babies" point. Cleary no parent would wish their child to have Down's Syndrome. The fact that those children are subsequently then loved and cherished as much as any other child is completely f**king irrelevant.

You were sick as a child and your parents loved you? Well done. What the flying f**k does that have to do with the next couple facing unwelcome news around the health of their unborn child?

TomFun

Classy post Gallsman. You would do well to educate yourself around a subject before commenting. I couldn't care less what way people vote, it's a very personal issue for a lot of people and unlike alot here I don't consider myself important enough to tell others how to think. What does annoy me is the ignorance around disability alot of the self appointed experts on here display. Stop being so f**king offensive

AZOffaly

Lads, is there any need for the language? You'd swear some of your autocorrects insert fucks and insults into sentences. I know people who seemingly can't speak a sentence without a curse in it, but being unable to type without one is strange.

Anyway I think some people are reading something into Syf's post that isn't there. Of course every prospective parent hopes their child will be born healthy and strong. It's crazy to suggest they don't. However he is not saying that they wish to swap their children or anything like that. Once the issue is uncovered and the baby is born, those children are loved and cherished as much as a healthy baby. Of course they are.

So I don't think he is saying the parents of children with problems wish they were never born, or anything like that.

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 20, 2018, 10:11:45 AM
Anyway I think some people are reading something into Syf's post that isn't there. Of course every prospective parent hopes their child will be born healthy and strong. It's crazy to suggest they don't. However he is not saying that they wish to swap their children or anything like that. Once the issue is uncovered and the baby is born, those children are loved and cherished as much as a healthy baby. Of course they are.

See this is my issue, I don't believe for a second that people are reading into something that isn't there. It's a calculated, manipulative red herring, and a particularly disgraceful one at that given it explicitly preys on the emotions of parents who have experienced emotional turmoil over the health of their kids.

gallsman

Quote from: TomFun on May 20, 2018, 10:06:25 AM
Classy post Gallsman. You would do well to educate yourself around a subject before commenting. I couldn't care less what way people vote, it's a very personal issue for a lot of people and unlike alot here I don't consider myself important enough to tell others how to think. What does annoy me is the ignorance around disability alot of the self appointed experts on here display. Stop being so f**king offensive
Thanks Tom. I'll not worry too much about taking lessons in manners from someone who calls someone a sc**bag and a twat, but you make sure to enjoy your day!

Syferus

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 20, 2018, 06:57:18 AM
Quote from: Syferus on May 20, 2018, 06:02:11 AM

Did you not just say that the extremes are ridiculous? I thought by that you wanted to focus on the very similar scenario for the bulk of cases?

I really cannot fathom how you took me talking about the extreme views of people on any given issues to mean it's ok to ignore cases of rape, incest, fatal fetal abnormalities or the mental well being of the woman when discussing abortion.

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 20, 2018, 08:07:27 AM
Quote from: TomFun on May 20, 2018, 07:48:55 AM

A huge plus 1 for this post. As a baby who was extremely sick (and still feel effects to this day) you've let yourself down shitting here Syf with that comment. My parents never complained. In fact they were delighted with any little bit of progress I made. So you Don't speak for all parents. I only dip in and out of here so I only saw your post now since TomFun posted it.

You are not comprehending what is a very beign point - that no one wants anything but their baby to be healthy - and combining it with an assumption of that meaning that any one born not healthy is 'defective'. That is the pathetic aspect of TomFun's sensationalist posts. I take serious issue with the characterisation he attempted to create of my post.

Screening for issues before birth is common place; what is done with that information is not something I am prepared to sit down and judge from afar like TomFun is attempting to do. Does he know the situations of each and every woman who ends a pregnancy? Who is he to judge her? A lot of the No side seem to want to have input in incredibly private matters between couples, and particularly the sexual biology of women. Not forcing narrow viewpoints on others is something Ireland has been learning to avoid doing for the last twenty years.