Donegal blame church for fixture change

Started by Blue Boy, March 15, 2007, 04:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: phpearse on March 16, 2007, 01:39:34 PM
But with the church not rescheduling mass to another time, every other divison 1A game needed to be rescheduled to the Sunday.
Why, were they all being played in grounds where the church provided the parking facilities?  In most communities the gaa and the church have a symbiotic relationship wherein each helps each other, are ye all annoyed that some community spirt still exists in the Ireland of the noughties?
In saying that, if the match started at 7.30, should be finished by after 9.00, they could have started vigil mass a bit late, sure it was called midnight mass when I were a lad.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Tubberman on March 16, 2007, 02:40:18 PM
QuoteHe is right. It seems perfectly reasonable that if you take a considerable crowd going to an Easter Saturday vigil mass and a considerable crowd going to an inter-county football match, both apparently sharing the same parking facilities then one will have to give.
Considering the status of both events, even the most heathenistic among you would realise who would take precedence.

Which would draw a bigger crowd - an inter-county football match or a mass? I'd be pretty sure it would be the match. So shouldn't the match get precedence in that case. The mass would only draw a couple of hundred max I'd say so they could both go ahead at the same time I'd have thought 

Well that sorts that then, good comparison all the same.

phpearse

QuoteWhy, were they all being played in grounds where the church provided the parking facilities? 

The final round of fixtures in all divisions were to take place at the same time to prevent any team having an advantage i.e. knowing scoring average etc. So with the church asking the GAA to move the Donegal game to the Sunday then the GAA had to compromise and move all games to the Sunday. The GAA wanted all games under lights on a Saturday evening and Donegal County Board were working hard to have the lights up for that time, but they should have known that there was mass on that evening!!

ciaranrough

Proper order as well. It is about time that the church started to reassert itself in the GAA. They should have the bishop back throwing in the ball as well on the day that is in it.

Hound

Ahh shíte. I've to go to fookin Disney on Ice on Easter Sunday so no Dublin v Kerry for me thanks to that bladdy priest  >:(