Croke Park Pitch

Started by bottlethrower7, March 12, 2007, 10:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

BT7 - you are wasting your time. People don't look at things from a purely GAA point of view. They just think "wouldn't it be great to see Drico, Robbie etc playing in Croker". So waht if the pitch is not 100% for some oul junior or intermediate match. Sure we've never heard the names of any of the players.

Oh, I forgot to say - surely you are wrong about the pitch being marked. We were told at the time of the debate that it wouldn't be an issue. You must be mistaken.

realredhandfan

it should be something to take into account from now on folks. especially for the tinkers that are now using it. 

bottlethrower7

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 12, 2007, 04:09:30 PM
Oh, I forgot to say - surely you are wrong about the pitch being marked. We were told at the time of the debate that it wouldn't be an issue. You must be mistaken.

aye, I think you're right. I was up in the premium and at one stage I even thought I saw pictures of rugby balls in the jacks on some Irish Times ad. Sure that couldn't be. I must have been hallucinating altogether.

And what was a pure disgrace is that when I went into the new Elvery's shop under the hogan stand I couldn't see rugby and soccer sections anywhere. Sure what will our 'guests' think when they pop in? We can't be treating them bad like that. Imagine what the media will say.

Though maybe I imagined that too  ???

magpie seanie

Quick, they better put rugby and soccer sections in that Elverys or the negative publicity for the GAA will be shocking altogether. Imagine all the money that would be taken out of the economy. The poor wee divils would have to go elsewhere to spend their money. Oh the Shame. Think of the children...

realredhandfan

I once seen a game of soccor in Manchester.  Keane was playing. GAA scum should have had it in Croke Park.. 

Hardy

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 12, 2007, 04:09:30 PM
People don't look at things from a purely GAA point of view. They just think "wouldn't it be great to see Drico, Robbie etc playing in Croker".

Come on, Seanie. That's unfair. I can't recall anybody here arguing the pro-opening case for any reason other than the good of the GAA. I thought we'd been through this often enough to accept at least that we all have a common goal in mind, though we disagree about the means to the end.

I accept that you and BT7 etc. sincerely believe that opening CP is to the detriment of the GAA's aims. It's not too much to ask that you accept the bona fides of those who support the opening because they believe the opposite, rather than ridicule them as media-deluded dupes who'd sell the GAA's interests just to be fashionable, or whatever.

And, with the greatest of respect to all concerned, in my opinion the complaining is reaching ludicrous levels at this stage.

magpie seanie

Hardy - I'd certainly exclude you and several others on here from that so apolgies for that. I do honestly think it coloured a lot of peoples thinking on it though.

QuoteAnd, with the greatest of respect to all concerned, in my opinion the complaining is reaching ludicrous levels at this stage.

I think BT and myself have accepted the decision and are licing with it but we reserve the right to highlight when some of our concerns (that were rubbished in many quarters) come to pass. Surely accepting a decision doesn't mean just shutting up. There will be more twists and turns yet in this debate before it is finally decided I feel. 2009 won't be long coming.

realredhandfan

Hardy Ill tone it down a bit, particulalry over St Patricks weekend

zoyler

BTW Elvery's had no trouble stocking their CP outlets with Rugby gear for the last two matches.  M<aybe there will be some left over for next Saturday.

ONeill

In all serious though, it'll be great to see Kevin Kilbane in Croker.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

bottlethrower7

QuoteNo decision has been taken yet about the possibility of this year's National Football League final being staged at Croke Park. With work required to be done on the playing surface, it has been acknowledged as touch and go whether the final, scheduled for April 22nd, can go ahead in the stadium.

An excerpt from an article by Sean Moran in today's Irish Times.

I'm sorry you feel such arguments are ridiculous Hardy. Personally I think its a big deal. This deal was supposed to be made in such a fashion as would benefit the GAA and not hinder it. Whereas arguments over enhanced perception of competing codes occupy a grey area, the fact that the league finals now pretty much cannot be played in the stadium is fairly black and white.

Magpie Seanie, well said.

Gnevin

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on March 13, 2007, 08:48:44 AM
QuoteNo decision has been taken yet about the possibility of this year's National Football League final being staged at Croke Park. With work required to be done on the playing surface, it has been acknowledged as touch and go whether the final, scheduled for April 22nd, can go ahead in the stadium.

An excerpt from an article by Sean Moran in today's Irish Times.

I'm sorry you feel such arguments are ridiculous Hardy. Personally I think its a big deal. This deal was supposed to be made in such a fashion as would benefit the GAA and not hinder it. Whereas arguments over enhanced perception of competing codes occupy a grey area, the fact that the league finals now pretty much cannot be played in the stadium is fairly black and white.

Magpie Seanie, well said.

And the fact that this talk talked about last september has nothing to do about it . No of course not its them 8 run out the rugby lads had
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Hound

Whether the NFL final is staged at Croke Park will have little to do with rugby and soccer.
If the Dubs happen to make it, it'll definitely be in Croker. Otherwise it'll likely be shifted (though perhaps there are one or two combinations that would result in a big attendance that might make them keep it at Croker).

Good picture of the Bucket Seats on the Hill in the Irish Times - perhaps someone can put it up on here. No scaffolding like in Lansdowne, so no safety issues and far nicer on the eye - actually looks like an uncovered stand. The seats are a mixture of blue and navy blue in honour of the Dubs.

Billys Boots

QuoteThe seats are a mixture of blue and navy blue in honour of the Dubs.

What did the Dubs do to get that honour?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

stephenite

Quote from: Billys Boots on March 13, 2007, 10:12:22 AM
What did the Dubs do to get that honour?

They warmed up in front of the Hill before their last game there, or no wait......