Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: T Fearon on September 18, 2017, 01:37:16 PM
Dublin winning four recent All Ireland titles by the minimum margin doesn't strike me as an enormous gap fuelled by money.
Fair point. Mayo have had the opportunity to finish off Dublin on more than one occasion and have failed to do so. The reasons why may be due to a lack of winning mentality and killer instinct in Mayo rather than demographics. That's hardly the fault of Dublin and had Mayo won yesterday this wouldn't be a topic of conversation.

armaghniac

Mayo scoring 2 more points yesterday wouldn't change the unequal nature of Dublin.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mrhardyannual

Dublin winning four recent All Ireland titles by the minimum margin doesn't strike me as an enormous gap fuelled by money.
Nor me. And if the difference between teams was based on cash spent on development, how come Kerry have won the last four Minor titles and not Dublin.  Thats where the coaching money should be seen first if it really is a factor.

magpie seanie

This is not a GAA problem. It's a national problem. Dublin has become too big. too many jobs, companies etc located there. It's crazy and it's actually unfair on people living in Dublin in lots of ways. The place is choked up. You can't get around and it will only get worse as successive governments ignore or cannot tackle it.

There is no easy solution here. When it was first proposed many years ago to split Dublin very few were in favour. I think there's something almost childish about looking for it now. Especially when they pick Eoghan O'Gara in a final to self handicap!

lenny

Quote from: mrhardyannual on September 18, 2017, 03:06:20 PM
Nor me. And if the difference between teams was based on cash spent on development, how come Kerry have won the last four Minor titles and not Dublin.  Thats where the coaching money should be seen first if it really is a factor.

Exactly and if the difference is down to just money pumped into coaching and development why are Dublin hurlers going backwards. They have had the same so called financial advantages as the footballers and yet the gap between them and Kilkenny, galway etc seems to be widening.

AZOffaly

Lads ye are mental. Put it like this, if the 1+ million euro ploughed into Dublin GAA coaching and games development, by the GAA, every year is NOT a factor in their improvement over the last 10 years or so, then it's the biggest waste of money since the eVoting machines.

Syferus

This is utter nonsense in the face of Dublin winning so many underage Leinsters and AIs in recent years, and for the fact it's always easier for smaller counties to compete at underage than senior where the coaching and set-ups grow even more professional. Dublin can be beat at minor, but not senior. That not tell you something about what's happening between those grades?

I get someone like Ferron is trying to court attention with daftness like the above but I expect better from you.

Orchard park

lots of this can be sorted by Croke park.

one or 2 centralised jersey sponsor for all counties, local commercial deals like AIG / Kerry etc out the window and split the pot according to need not accoring to population or club numbers. D4 and D3 teams get greater share to enable genuine development

all counties then entitled to  develop local deals like subaru cars, gibson hotels, benetti suits etc.........

Orchard park

Quote from: Syferus on September 18, 2017, 03:41:06 PM

This is utter nonsense in the face of Dublin winning so many underage Leinsters and AIs in recent years, and for the fact it's always easier for smaller counties to compete at underage than senior where the coaching and set-ups grow even more professional. Dublin can be beat at minor, but not senior. That not tell you something about what's happening between those grades?

I get someone like Ferron is trying to court attention with daftness like the above but I expect better from you.

how many minor titles have Dublin won over past 15 years ?????

they reap a huge reward at u21 level from developing the pick of what are generally moderate minor teams

Rossfan

That hurling gap was well narrowed for a few years mind.
Dublin hurlers were on a par with Laois/Antrim for 40 years or more.
This decade they won Leinster and the NHL and we're in hard luck not to make the AI Final one year.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rodney trotter

Because a lot of their better Hurlers wouldn't play under Cunningham.  They also lost Costello and Kilkenny to the Footballers after Minor level. Thomas Brady one of their best Hurlers left for the Footballers 2 years ago, got very little game time .

Dinny Breen

Christ do people only gauge success in All-Irelands

As for hurling. seriously

5 Leinster Minors and 3 runners-up in the last 12 years. Prior to that it was 1 in 40 years.

4 Leinster u21s since 2007 and 2 runners up. Prior to that you have to go back to 1972.

1 Senior Leinster Title in 2013, 1st in 50 odd years.  They even won the National League for the 1st time 70 years in 2011.

The hurling success is not measured in All-Irelands but from where they were before Bertie's cash intervention supplemented by GAA money to now, is miles apart.

#newbridgeornowhere

Orchard park

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 18, 2017, 03:44:32 PM
Because a lot of their better Hurlers wouldn't play under Cunningham.  They also lost Costello and Kilkenny to the Footballers after Minor level. Thomas Brady one of their best Hurlers left for the Footballers 2 years ago, got very little game time .

given Tomas brady changed over to football in 2012 and retired from intercounty football last year the maths are well out

Esmarelda

Quote from: Orchard park on September 18, 2017, 03:41:22 PM
lots of this can be sorted by Croke park.

one or 2 centralised jersey sponsor for all counties, local commercial deals like AIG / Kerry etc out the window and split the pot according to need not accoring to population or club numbers. D4 and D3 teams get greater share to enable genuine development

all counties then entitled to  develop local deals like subaru cars, gibson hotels, benetti suits etc.........
I'm not sure how this would be done but I think the idea is correct. The AIG money, for example, should not be allowed to go to Dublin GAA in full.

Orchard park

not too sure either but i think the concept is solid.

yes AIG sponsor every county jersey is my idea