Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonian

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 16, 2023, 10:32:13 PM
Quote from: marty34 on August 16, 2023, 10:30:30 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 16, 2023, 10:29:02 PM
House insurance up from £482 to £807.  >:( apparently due to climate change the robbing bastards.

That's crazy Tony.

They'll use that on everybody now.
Climate change and cost of materials/labour for repairs. They must be rubbing their hands.

Ours did the same - we thought it was because we had a claim last year.

clarshack

House Insurance up due to Climate Change I've heard it all now.

AustinPowers

Quote from: clarshack on August 17, 2023, 09:47:21 AM
House Insurance up due to Climate Change I've heard it all now.

Ah now , we all must do  our bit   ::)

J70

Depends where you are. Here in NYC, flash flood watches and even warnings are happening every month now, whereas before a couple of years ago, it was rare. I'm in my house ten years. Never had water come in until the Ida storm in 2021 when we got flooded. Had a close call a few months back. Now I've got the sandbags out as a default given the frequency with which these "freak" deluges are happening. Last month, Highland Falls, where West Point is located up the Hudson River, got seven inches of rain in a couple of hours. It's sheer luck if you're in the narrow path or not.

J70

A number of the large private home insurance companies have pulled their business out of Florida given the increasingly severe hurricanes passing through the state. A lot of people in Florida can only get insured through their public insurance entity, Citizens Insurance.

This shit is real.

guy crouchback

I'm in the business, down south so i cant speak for the north but increases in the republic are also substantial this year. main driver is increase in cost of building materials and rebuilding cost increases which sound like the same thing  but aren't,  but both contribute to the increase in premiums.
id say the average increase in the south is in the region of 30%.
are insurance companies robbing bastards? in some ways yes, but their main fault is that that they are by and large run by a combination of  grossly incompetent fools and spivs.

clarshack

The cost of materials shot up at the start of 2021 so why are they only using it as an excuse now?

armaghniac

Quote from: clarshack on August 17, 2023, 12:57:40 PM
The cost of materials shot up at the start of 2021 so why are they only using it as an excuse now?

Because the cost of rebuilding they were experiencing last year was higher after those cost increases?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Don't pay it for a year and keep the fingers crossed!! They'll soon bring the prices down, 25 years one claim and they bleat about how much its costing them!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

quit yo jibbajabba

Huge risk. House burns down you've no rebuild sum available. Even worse if you've a mortgage.....have ye by the balls

Milltown Row2

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on August 17, 2023, 01:27:01 PM
Huge risk. House burns down you've no rebuild sum available. Even worse if you've a mortgage.....have ye by the balls

I'm grand I can afford the hike lol!

I speak with plenty of people everyday and when I ask them do they have house insurance a good lot say no! Be surprising how many haven't got insurance. What's the ratio of houses burning down top how many houses in the north? be very rare, the main issue people have would be water damage from a leak or if you live in an area that has rivers nearby.

Calling their bluff and see who wants the business.. Someone on the other week discussing it from the federation of insurers and he said shop around and don't settle for the first quote

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

clarshack

20 years of house insurance now and only ever used it for 2 broken windows which would have been affordable anyway without the insurance. But you just know as soon as it would be cancelled there would be a leak somewhere.

brokencrossbar1

Same sort of craic, 20 odd years and only used it twice,  once for a burst water tank in the attic space and once when one of the kids left the tap running all day and I came home to a swimming pool in the hall!  Handy having a loss assessor who over estimated the damage as I got the house redecorated twice on Axa  ;D

trueblue1234

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 17, 2023, 02:20:55 PM
Same sort of craic, 20 odd years and only used it twice,  once for a burst water tank in the attic space and once when one of the kids left the tap running all day and I came home to a swimming pool in the hall!  Handy having a loss assessor who over estimated the damage as I got the house redecorated twice on Axa  ;D
Same as this. Can't over estimate how important it is to get your own loss adjuster in to deal with the insurance claim. More than worth the commission!!
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 17, 2023, 02:20:55 PM

I'd that one time, we were looking to change the ensuite anyways at some point, but noticed water on the roof of the back room, phoned Tesco, I think we were with at the time and they sent a fella out to look at it, no marine wall was put in either shower unit from the ensuite and bathroom. chatting to me he said I know you! Now this can go either way lol, but he said you're from the road! In my head I'm going which road, but says nowt.

Comes back few days later with a team of lads who said that they'll have to completely rip everything out and replace it as those tiles are outta stock and that they damaged the shower unit when trying to take it out, they hadn't even started it, tiled the floor and new shower units and wall to floor tiling.

I don't even think at the time the insurance went up by much the following year. For me that was the builders that were taking the complete piss and making a decent wage out of it rather than me who had never before or since claimed anything