Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on January 10, 2023, 08:37:43 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on January 09, 2023, 11:55:09 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 09, 2023, 11:27:01 PM
I hear there was movement with the bridge at Claudy. No metal for crash barriers, off roads uncompleted. Contractor looking more money. Not a contract seems to be enforced in this part of the world.

After some f**king about twenty years ago at least the Freestate managed to get the roads built in a fairly organised way afterwards.
Mind you, the northern crowd seem to lose the run of themselves the further west they go, the A8 to Larne was completed on budget. 
The roads and the railways are a joke in the North. It's as if they are members of the Orange Order.

Some of us are old enough to remember how long it took to get to Dublin, never mind Galway! Wouldn't get high and mighty ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Kidder81

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 10, 2023, 08:03:36 AM
I didn't realise the license period and deportation part. The speed he was going at wasn't actually that fast - it was in the 30s. Just shows you.

He was doing 46/47mph in a 30 zone, so he wasn't even close to being within the speed limit. His mate wasn't wearing a seatbelt, I wonder would it have saved him

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 10, 2023, 08:51:44 AM
I hear there was movement with the bridge at Claudy. No metal for crash barriers, off roads uncompleted. Contractor looking more money. Not a contract seems to be enforced in this part of the world.

After some f**king about twenty years ago at least the Freestate managed to get the roads built in a fairly organised way afterwards.
Mind you, the northern crowd seem to lose the run of themselves the further west they go, the A8 to Larne was completed on budget. 
The roads and the railways are a joke in the North. It's as if they are members of the Orange Order.

Some of us are old enough to remember how long it took to get to Dublin, never mind Galway! Wouldn't get high and mighty ;)

And the worse bit of road between Belfast and Dublin is from Lisburn to Newry and has been for quite a while.

The days of looking down our noses at the shambles of the 26 are long gone, we're a mess up here, but hey £8B subvention... Yay.

(c) unionists only reason to remain part of the UK.

seafoid

It used to take 3 hours to drive from Dublin to Galway. You mightn't even get home in time for the Sunday Game. I remember watching the 87 final TSG  in Ballinasloe.
The only other place I have seen roads built according to religion is in the West Bank
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

NAG1

Quote from: johnnycool on January 10, 2023, 09:04:10 AM

And the worse bit of road between Belfast and Dublin is from Lisburn to Newry and has been for quite a while.

The days of looking down our noses at the shambles of the 26 are long gone, we're a mess up here, but hey £8B subvention... Yay.

Slightly off topic but would be an interesting comparison to look at how much EU funding has gone into improving the roads infrastructure in the 26 over the past couple of decades. Must have been a massive investment and one likely to continue and one not to be repeated up here unfortunately. So the gap is likely to widen across all areas of infrastructure but at least we have taken back control  >:(

Armagh18

Quote from: Kidder81 on January 10, 2023, 07:57:37 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 10, 2023, 07:49:56 AM
Same with the boy on the Ravenhill road, Belfast, who killed two people drunk driving. Hugely lenient I would have thought. I think he was 2 or 3 years?

3 years in jail, I think the same on licence and then deportation to Romania at the end of his jail sentence so the licence period would be irrelevant.
should definitely be deported. I though causing death by dangerous driving was 5 years min.

trailer

Railways are a joke East and West of the Bann. No train station at Belfast City airport even though the Sydenham stop is across the road. The Train doesn't stop at Aldergrove airport despite it again going past and in Derry I think it all but crosses the runway and doesn't stop. Translink are clean useless as a service provider.
The Armagh Newry road which is a main road that links Mid Ulster to Dublin is terrible. And of course we all know about the pantomime that the A5 has become.

And yet, and yet... we actually go out in our droves and vote for politicians who could not run a bath. Who oversee the most incompetent bunch of amateurs that is the NICS.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on January 10, 2023, 09:04:10 AM

I think the 50s were hard for Northern nationalists. The North got the NHS and infrastructural investment. The UK was booming.
There was loads of work.

The South was mired in shite, totally mismanaged. Christy Ring drove an oil truck for a living.
It would have been hard even in South Armagh to argue that Ireland was better.

But nothing lasts forever. The UK now is in a structural crisis. Unionism is lost.
NI has 36% of the population of the South and generates 8% of the economic value generated on the island.

That wouldn't even qualify for the Nicky Rackard.

bennydorano

BBC News - Greek trial of 24 rescuers who saved migrants in Med begins
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64221696

seafoid

Quote from: bennydorano on January 10, 2023, 05:14:55 PM
BBC News - Greek trial of 24 rescuers who saved migrants in Med begins
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64221696
There is a Syrian lady, Sarah Mardini,  amongst the defendants. Netflix produced a film about the journey of her and her sister from the war in Syria to Europe in a film called the swimmers.

ardtole

Milltown Row2

Don't know what thread this should be in but I always sorta question the motives of some of these guys that go in there

Was a guy on the radio this morning and he was saying that he was supplying families in that region with warm clothes and food for there pets!!

I love my dogs and would probably (at this moment in life, lol) give them more attention than my kids but I'm not going to head to the Ukraine and help other pets

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/01/10/ukraine-british-aid-workers-missing-christopher-parry-family/
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

David McKeown

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 09, 2023, 10:38:43 PM
Can't understand why it wasn't a murder charge, them lads deliberately stalked that man. And why is 50% remission still in force  here. Do the crime, do the time, 3and 4 yrs for (I call it murder, not manslaughter) is shocking. But this place long by normal. Sentencing guidelines like everything else needs serious overhaul!

It wasn't murder because the prosecution need to prove an intention to kill or do really serious harm. In this case the prosecution knew they couldn't do that which is often the case so the offence had to be manslaughter. 50% remission no longer applies in Northern Ireland for any sentence of 12 months or more. Murder carries an automatic life sentence manslaughter does not. Given the plethora of ways Manslaughter can be committed it's hard to have any real definitive guidelines on it.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

David McKeown

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 10, 2023, 12:05:26 AM
Quote from: An Watcher on January 09, 2023, 10:34:52 PM
Fellas getting 3 and 4 years for murdering a homeless man in maghera.  A minimum of ten should have been the starting point
thought it was lenient enough. Maybe the fact they were underage at the time played a part

Yes their age would have been a serious mitigating factor.

David McKeown

Quote from: Kidder81 on January 10, 2023, 07:57:37 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 10, 2023, 07:49:56 AM
Same with the boy on the Ravenhill road, Belfast, who killed two people drunk driving. Hugely lenient I would have thought. I think he was 2 or 3 years?

3 years in jail, I think the same on licence and then deportation to Romania at the end of his jail sentence so the licence period would be irrelevant.

Not irrelevant or a ground to increase the sentence though, consistency will be needed to ensure justice.