Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: haranguerer on June 26, 2014, 02:31:35 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 26, 2014, 01:49:35 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on June 26, 2014, 10:27:53 AM
http://m.thenation.com/blog/178641-marissa-alexander-now-faces-60-years-prison-firing-warning-shot-self-defense.

Marissa Alexander Now Faces 60 Years in Prison for Firing a Warning Shot in Self Defense

Compare that with: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/glenn-beck-radio-show-chris-mcdaniel-rifle

Compare a guy going outside to shoot a rifle in the air with a woman shooting it at a person?

Compare the ludicrous overreaction to a woman firing 'warning shots' in one's home, to the other firing for 'Stress release on the ranch. That's how we do it out west! Both fired on their own property, both arguably for stress relief. One of the two was genuinely threatened, but she gets 60 years.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Quote from: haranguerer on June 26, 2014, 02:28:25 PM
http://m.thenation.com/blog/178641-marissa-alexander-now-faces-60-years-prison-firing-warning-shot-self-defense.

Marissa Alexander Now Faces 60 Years in Prison for Firing a Warning Shot in Self Defense

We all know US law is suspect, but so are biased websites.

What makes you believe she was shooting in self defence, and only as warning shots?

I googled it and apparently she went to the garage, got a gun out of the car, came back in to the kitchen, aimed in the direction of the husband and children, said 'I've got something for your ass', and fired, narrowly missing his head.

I thought that too in fairness. The Law is an ass, but there had to be some reason for the prosecutor looking to go after this. In fairness if she'd hit them, we'd be talking about harsher penalties and gun crime in the states.

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on June 26, 2014, 02:37:28 PM

Compare that with: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/glenn-beck-radio-show-chris-mcdaniel-rifle

Compare a guy going outside to shoot a rifle in the air with a woman shooting it at a person?

Compare the ludicrous overreaction to a woman firing 'warning shots' in one's home, to the other firing for 'Stress release on the ranch. That's how we do it out west! Both fired on their own property, both arguably for stress relief. One of the two was genuinely threatened, but she gets 60 years.

Muppet, I think you're way off base here. (seeing as how we are talking about America I'll use that phrase :) ). You are taking her word that she was shooting in self defense, but that's highly in question and in fact was rejected originally by the courts. She did, at least, shoot in the 'direction' of her ex- and his kids.

The other langer seems to have just gone out into his back yard, in a remote area and fired his rifle down an open field. There's no comparison really.

haranguerer

Muppet. Did you read what those 'warning shots' actually were? Going out to the garage, getting a gun, coming back in and firing at your husband and children, narrowly missing his head, is quite a 'self-defence warning shot'

Firing a gun isnt a crime, firing a gun at people, is. Do you think thats unreasonable?

AZOffaly

The self defense angle has to be suspect. Unless it's cumulative self defense if her husband was abusing her. However, from the court documents of the case (according to Wiki :) )

Alexander and Gray engaged in an argument in the master bathroom. Grey returned to the kitchen where his children were eating breakfast. Alexander went into Grey's garage, where her car was parked. From the Duval County, Florida, court document:

"The Defendant then retrieved the firearm from the glove box of the vehicle. The Defendant then returned to the kitchen with the firearm in her hand and pointed it in the direction of all three Victims. [Grey] put his hands in the air. Defendant shot at [Grey], nearly missing his head."[6] According to an email sent by Corey, Alexander told the defendant "I've got something for your ass" before shooting.[7]
Alexander's shot hit the wall and deflected into the ceiling, injuring no one.[8]

muppet

Quote from: haranguerer on June 26, 2014, 02:43:17 PM

Muppet. Did you read what those 'warning shots' actually were? Going out to the garage, getting a gun, coming back in and firing at your husband and children, narrowly missing his head, is quite a 'self-defence warning shot'

In fairness I have only just read that which does change things.

It appears that it happened in his house as well rather than her own.

However the real story seems to be regarding the prosecutor. They offered a 3 year sentence in a deal which was rejected. They got 20 years in court which was thrown out on appeal and now the prosecutor wants 60 years. Given that the woman had a restraining order and that it was first offence that still seems ludicrous to me.

And as for Glenn Beck, I just hate the likes of him and Coulter and Hannity etc.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

It certainly looks like the prosecutor has a hard on (figuratively) for this woman, and she's getting a lot of heat for it.

AZOffaly

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 26, 2014, 02:45:46 PM
The self defense angle has to be suspect. Unless it's cumulative self defense if her husband was abusing her. However, from the court documents of the case (according to Wiki :) )

Alexander and Gray engaged in an argument in the master bathroom. Grey returned to the kitchen where his children were eating breakfast. Alexander went into Grey's garage, where her car was parked. From the Duval County, Florida, court document:

"The Defendant then retrieved the firearm from the glove box of the vehicle. The Defendant then returned to the kitchen with the firearm in her hand and pointed it in the direction of all three Victims. [Grey] put his hands in the air. Defendant shot at [Grey], nearly missing his head."[6] According to an email sent by Corey, Alexander told the defendant "I've got something for your ass" before shooting.[7]
Alexander's shot hit the wall and deflected into the ceiling, injuring no one.[8]

I wonder is this really in the court documents :D Nearly missing his head. So she hit him then? :D

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Windmill abu

Bad Judgement (by the defendant)

This woman went to her partners house, went back to her car and got a gun, returned to the room where her partner and his children (not her children) were located & fired the weapon. The bullet narrowly missed her partner and deflected into the ceiling. She was offered a plea bargain of 3 years & decided to gamble with a jury instead and got 20 years. She appealed (gambled again) and gets 60 years.

Getting back to the original offense, how much sympathy would she attract if the deflected bullet had hit one of the children?

Bad judgement at every stage by the defendant. Her colour & gender are not a defense, but are being used by interested parties for political gains.
Never underestimate the power of complaining

cornerback

I was on a housing association site this week & I enquired about the apartments that weren't started yet; the reply i got was "we're not allow to take that flag pole away"!! HOLY  F U C K!! A small apartment block for social housing appears to be shelved because the contractor is not allow to take the flag pole away!

Billys Boots

Quote from: cornerback on July 03, 2014, 10:51:47 AM
I was on a housing association site this week & I enquired about the apartments that weren't started yet; the reply i got was "we're not allow to take that flag pole away"!! HOLY  F U C K!! A small apartment block for social housing appears to be shelved because the contractor is not allow to take the flag pole away!

Reverse a truck into it, start building and tell them that you're very, very sorry indeed.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

NAG1

Quote from: cornerback on July 03, 2014, 10:51:47 AM

Im sure the locals are holding out for a 'donation' for its removal, like most other building sites at this time of the years, being asked politely for a donation towards the bonfires. Since when did they start burning cash on these fires  ;)